BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3 Demand

16K views 122 replies 44 participants last post by  Moderato 
#1 · (Edited)
Dealer has two coming in without owners.

#6 ·
Just one, coupe, jet black, only option 19" wheels. Can I get one $500 over invoice?

#7 ·
Of course I wasn't interested. Both had funky color combinations. Great for the guy who wants other people to "look at me".

#14 ·
uh, rent in LA would be 2500 a month.

my dealer here has about 20 M5's lined up just sitting there. If anything I think the M3 sedan will kill the M5 sales.
If the M5s are going to be incentified (sp?) due to decreased demand from the new M3 sedan... is it conceivable that an M5 lease would be the same price as an M3 sedan lease? And if so would anybody choose an M3 sedan over an M5 for similar monthly cost?

ML

#17 ·
I have to move this to the M3 forum. Sorry guys. ;)

- Mike

#20 · (Edited)
Corrections.
I stated that the deletion of the spoiler costs $500 (in BMW build your own), dealer confirmed that there is no charge. Funny, that option went away on the internet tonight. Another strange thing is you cannot get the standard cloth/leather seats online.

No problem in getting a M3 coupe or sedan in Houston. I was told by one dealer I can get one Coupe delivered by the end of May and may be a little earlier if I decide to go with 18" wheel. BMW is running short of 19" wheels and deliveries will be delayed. Also, each dealer will be getting two demos next week, really ugly ext color/interior combinations. Dealers cannot sell them because they belong to BMW. Yes, I will be test driving one before ordering.

#29 ·
I really doubt the two-year waiting list thing. I think they might be leading you toward the "Hey, there's been a cancellation and, for only 10% over MSRP, you can order an M3 now!" When I ordered my M3 Sedan from Momentum on Katy Freeway February 13th, there was zero waiting list.

#30 ·
Did you order from TB? I talked to him at the Houston Auto show. Some like/disike his style.

#34 ·
AFAIK, all of the Advantage and Momentum shops are owned by Sonic Auto Group. That said, they operate somewhat independently as far as having their own allotments, just don't expect a bargain at any of them. Your research Dave kind of cracks me up considering what the guy was saying at the car show and our discussion of it. As I believed then, no way you will have to wait two years in Houston to get a M3, that said expect the dealers to hype them as long as they can get away with it. Sadly, if I was wanting one now, I think I'd have to shop one of the board sponsors or at least out of town, as I think Houston is just not a good town to buy a new BMW in.
Looking at the bigger picture, there's only so many people who buy $65K cars, especially those that are bought more for personal reasons than practicality. As with any new high-profile vehicle, there will be an initial rush and demand, then it will subside to normal levels. When I bought my E46 M3 back in 2003, every dealer had a few on the lot, and discounts were quietly acknowledged.
I do hope you get one Dave, so we can take turns thrashing it at a future meet!

#37 ·
#36 ·
Momentum BMW has there own allotment, and there is no real waiting list right now. Walter, the sales guy I used, said someone just cancelled their order (week 9 production, so I think it's already done) that's available right now (not ready for delivery of course, but it can be bought right now.) You can order right now for delivery in May.

#41 ·
giving it to my infamous son or selling it to my brother like my previous BMWs.

#48 · (Edited)
USAA offered me a fixed rate under 5% for an auto loan up to 50K.

I thought you were gonna wait Dave? Why are thinkin' loans???
Just thinking ahead. I like the smaller doors on the sedan. They have that nice solid feel when you shut them. Are you getting the sedan? duh....I see.

#50 ·
In houston, I thought BMW north was the only dealer independent of momentum and advantage. bought my 2003 E46 M3 from them because they were normal people. Let me test drive some used M3s and an M5. Momentum was a pain in the tail...no test drives...no customer service. Even went down to Advantage south of town and they seemed reasonable, but BMW North was the best.'

Really doubt you will get an M3 for $500 over invoice. I paid sticker, but I might be an idiot.

As far as depreciation, an M3, IMO will depreciate more than a 335. Selling my M3 now at about 38% of what I paid for it new. Of course I live in CO where the demand for M3s is considerable less than Houston. I dont really care that much though...lost more on an M3, but had 10x the fun. Best car I ever bought. Smiled continuously for 82k miles.

#52 ·
In houston, I thought BMW north was the only dealer independent of momentum and advantage. bought my 2003 E46 M3 from them because they were normal people. Let me test drive some used M3s and an M5. Momentum was a pain in the tail...no test drives...no customer service. Even went down to Advantage south of town and they seemed reasonable, but BMW North was the best.'

Really doubt you will get an M3 for $500 over invoice. I paid sticker, but I might be an idiot.

As far as depreciation, an M3, IMO will depreciate more than a 335. Selling my M3 now at about 38% of what I paid for it new. Of course I live in CO where the demand for M3s is considerable less than Houston. I dont really care that much though...lost more on an M3, but had 10x the fun. Best car I ever bought. Smiled continuously for 82k miles.
Thanks for the insight. I do see Momentum as more snobish than Advantage in Clear Lake. I'll take a drive out to BMW North to see what their attitude is like. Right now, I'm thinking of Beaumont BMW. They were like your momma and pappa store. It's a 95 mile drive, but on I-10 it seems like everyone is going 90. :thumbup:

#53 ·
You might give the Momentum on Katy Freeway a shot. They really do seem like a completely different place than the old Momentum. I bought my current car at North, but scheduling service was a PITA. You probably know the drill... you have to make an appointment to talk to your "Service Advisor" (yes, I always had to leave messages and sometimes it took several days to hear back) and talk to them about making an appointment for actual service. I always thought it was a really stupid system. I started dealing with Momentum on Katy Freeway when they opened last year and I've been pretty happy with them.

#55 ·
When the E46 M3 launched I recall long wait lists. People were selling their spots on ebay.
I don't see any of that this time around.
Why?
Is the M3 going the way of the NS-X? Too much technology at a price few are willing to pay? :dunno:

#57 ·
I don't know about that, but the car has moved a long, long way away from its roots. The current state of the economy has people moving cautiously. Buying an M3 is a luxury, and paying a premium to be the first kid on the block with the latest toy may not be looking so appealing in the current economic climate.

#60 ·
I live in LA, CA and have two friends who took their M3 deposits back.
Not as a reaction to the car but the economy.

One is a lawyer and the corp he works for laid off a few hundered people suddenly.
He isnt too worried about his position but he says a E class thats almost paid off makes him sleep better at night.

Another is dentist and he said traffic at the office is down and will wait till car has any bugs worked out..but 1st reason is economy.

So not everyone who buys/drives these cars is completely isolated from economic woes.

#61 ·
I know the salesmen that I've been talking to are trying to find new clients to fill positions that their clients decided to drop out. I have the feeling that salesmen are allocated posiitons. If the positions are not filled, another salesman can fill them with his clients.

#79 · (Edited)
Folks apend $50-$100k on a swimming pool that adds no value to a home.

Expensive clothes, $10k Rolex watches, expensive golf rounds, expensive vacations, all of which depreciate or are worthless afterwards.

Whether somone spends cash for a car, leases, or buys used is irrelevant. It is a bad argument that is infected this board as many think they are the financial wizards.

The reality is I can find a lot more waste in someone's financial statement and it won't be because of a car. If people were honest about their own financial situations, the car and how they paid for it would be insignificant over 4 years compared to where all the other money goes.

Paying cash for a car can be good, bad, or irrelevant.

Not understanding your entire financial picture is bad and most people fall into this category or they would not spend so much time talking about paying cash for a car. It is almost like they have tunnel vision.

#80 ·
Folks apend $50-$100k on a swimming pool that adds no value to a home. NOT ME

Expensive clothes, $10k Rolex watches, expensive golf rounds, expensive vacations, all of which depreciate or are worthless afterwards. NOT ME

Whether somone spends cash for a car, leases, or buys used is irrelevant. It is a bad argument that is infected this board as many think they are the financial wizards.

The reality is I can find a lot more waste in someone's financial statement and it won't be because of a car. If people were honest about their own financial situations, the car and how they paid for it would be insignificant over 4 years compared to where all the other money goes. Your definition of waste may not be same as mine. Will you accept that?
Paying cash for a car can be good, bad, or irrelevant. Wow that really pin point the discussion.
Not understanding your entire financial picture is bad and most people fall into this category or they would not spend so much time talking about paying cash for a car. It is almost like they have tunnel vision. I love that vague description of a number.
Did I do good? :D

#82 ·
Boile must be Suze Orman's BMW enthusiast alter-ego.

But seriously, Boile, if you are so averse to credit and you like it only insofar as your mortgage gets you a nice break on taxes, then you subscribe to a minority principle. Individuals use credit, corporations use it, banks use it, and as a matter of fact our entire fractional reserve system is based on interest rates between reserve banks.

So go pay for your luxury car with cash, tell people that you'd do the same with your house if it weren't for saving some change on your taxes, and while you're at it maybe you should give back the interest on your savings accounts and bonds, because that's credit too.

#84 · (Edited)
WTF are you talking about?
Do you have reading comprehension problems?
I just said you can't claim to be able to afford something if you need to take out a loan to buy it.
If you have the money, but chose to take the loan, that's a investment option. :tsk:

BTW, it's also known fact that Americans have the highest level of debt and the lowest level of savings on the planet. That way of life you subscribe to is not sustainable. You're living today on what you predict you'll earn tomorrow. And the worst proponent of that faulty philosophy is the government.
Click on my sig. :mad::tsk:

I'll let Dave, The King of Common Sense, school you. :tsk:

#85 ·
Boile, do you want me to drive this for a few more years before I can save enough to buy a new car?

Attachments

#86 ·
I rented an apartment in NYC for awhile till I bought...$2500/Month. $200/Month Telephone and Phone Bill. $100 Utilities (love that about apartments) Then there was my $650/Month 330i lease. Add on my $500/Month garage. $150/Month Insurance...

That's not even throwing in my cost of going out for food and fun...Another $2k probably.

So yeah, costs of living are different in different places...pay what you can AFFORD and DO NOT OVER EXTEND YOURSELF. People really need to learn to not purchase things on credit...live off what you make and put at least 10% in savings at all times.

Just my $.02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.