BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2001 750il radio/DSP disappeared today

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tberardi 
#1 ·
Recently purchased this car. 78K miles, real creampuff condition. Radio was fine until today. Now, I can see the stations on the monitor, can toggle through different modes and see my options change, but there is no sound from the speakers at all. Again, I have been using the system with no issues right up to this morning, and to the best of my knowledge, nothing was done to the system. :dunno:

Also, normally on the monitor is an option for DSP, which can be selected and a graphic equalizer is offered. Now, on the monitor, the option DSP is absent from the screen and has been replaced by the word CODE. I can not highlight and select CODE. It is just there in the space normally taken by DSP.

Any ideas what happened here and any suggestions for DIY repair?
Thanks,
Grady

#4 ·
When there is a problem with one of the units showing in the menu, it disappears as an option and the other menu items are reordered to be balanced as much as possible in the split (left/right) list. There's probably something wrong with the Radio unit.

#5 ·
I would check the amp to see if it failed. Try to find someone else to swap your with to confirm its the amp.
If it is, just by a replacement on Ebay.
Putting in a new headunit and wirring in a new 4 channel amp + subwoofers + sub amp and new speakers is a big job for a DIY and expensive.
You can reuse the speakers but you have to wire in crossovers.
Your choice based on your pocket book allowance.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.