BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3 as a daily driver?

38K views 154 replies 36 participants last post by  -=Hot|Ice=- 
#1 ·
I'm looking into 2011 or 2012 BMW M3. I want the final model year as it will be the final naturally , high revving M3 that we will see for awhile. The lease on my 328xi coupe ends in about a year and 1 month, I will be commuting to and from school, it's about an 45 minute drive. Is it possible? Gas won't be a problem, I'll be cruising highway most of the time anyway. How's the M3 for a daily driver? Will I nee to push it around town? Does it have enough torque for a daily driver? Any input is absolutely appreciated.

#67 ·
Not sure how you arrived at $7,000 more for the M3. My numbers show it is $10,400 more than an M sport 335. $65.1k vs.$54.7k. My previous math showed $14k difference, but that added some options in the M3 that I might want but which are not comparable to the 335, ie. competition package and enhanced audio.

#62 ·
@TGray5

Can I just say that I hate you, now? I just read your little article and was reminded of all the reasons I loved the M3 when I drove it. Now you've got me looking to see if I can justify the M3 instead of the 335iS.

This is just going to get worse before I order... :D

#65 ·
The S4 was nice and if I were interested in a 4 door it would be a much tougher call for me. The exterior styling just doesn't strike me the way the e92 does. S5 will be out this summer with the same engine as S4 though.

Pricing wise it seems to be above the 335 and below the M3 and about even with 335is, depending on options. If you don't opt for the Prestige package you miss out on some basic things that I would want..auto dimming mirrors, garage door opener for example. But you do get the Ipod connection for free. I would also want the dynamic suspension and sport diff, so the pricing adds up with those.

The engine feels similar to the 335 it pulls hard..the suspension had less body roll than the 335 and although the steering ratio was better than 335 it felt a little bit numb to me. The feeling of the front wheels pulling you was rather neat and the extra traction was good. The car was solid and suspension seemed well sorted...more so than the 335. The dynamic suspension did a good job but in the end you could still feel you were hauling around several hundred more pounds than either BMW. This car did not have the torque vectoring diff which should help very spirited handling. Interior was rather disappointing...Audis used to be top notch, but they are clearly trying to save some money. The transmission felt quite similar to the M3's DCT. The seats were good, although they lack adjustable side bolsters...overall I like the 335 seats better and the M3 much more. Standard seats come with Alcantara inserts and full leather is $1k extra. The leather is napa leather, but doesn't feel as nice as the M3 Novillo but it is softer than the Dakota leather, although I like the pebbling pattern on the dakota. The alcantara felt comfortable and soft and I know its durable, but I'd probably pay up for the full leather.

Throttle response in the Audi was better and smoother than my 335, although the N55 engine in the new 335 might fix that. M3 had the best throttle response of all of them as you would expect.

Overall its an excellent car and I could be quite happy with it I'm sure. Not as many Audis around here so it gets points for that. It seems to be priced about where the 335is, but the 'is' should be faster and have better steering and road feel, but the S4 will have a more composed suspension and the dynamic suspension and adjustability is a plus. Lack of runflats and a real spare is also a plus with the S4. History of poor reliability of Audi's is a negative, but also now applies to the 335. Resale value of the M3 will be better I think...resale on the 335s is a question mark. Lease rates on the 335 aren't bad, no lease programs on the S4 and M3 lease is not good. I would prefer to lease these cars, so that would tilt me towards the 335. Audi has Euro Delivery as well (5% off), but not sure aggressive pricing is available with it the way it is with BMW (ie. $1k over Euro Invoice)...does anyone know? There are no bad options here...I'm as confused as ever...hahaha. Can someone make me a custom car with features and options from each ;):D

#70 ·
Honestly, I've been jumping back and forth on the issue about what my next car will be for A LONG time. I have made countless threads and asked many opinions. I've wanted an ///M3 ever since I was 5 years old. My cousin drove me around in his e46 M3 and it was a beast! I'm now in the position to get one, and I will, and I won't look back. I will be making the BIGGEST dream I have ever had come true in 9 months. I will be getting an ///M3 and that is that. No looking back at my decision, because my mind is made up. It is the last generation of a TRUE BMW ///M car, and I want one. I don't care about the upcoming RS5. It's going to be overly expensive and the middle will be filled with 100000 of buttons.

///M3, here I come!

The point I'm trying to make here is, if you guys want something and it's been a dream, don't hesitate to make it come true. It'll come back and bite you in the rear end.

P.S. The C63 is very tempting but not a usable car. Every time you go near the damn throttle for just a little bit of fun, the traction control light turns on.

#71 ·
Honestly, I've been jumping back and forth on the issue about what my next car will be for A LONG time. I have made countless threads and asked many opinions. I've wanted an ///M3 ever since I was 5 years old. My cousin drove me around in his e46 M3 and it was a beast! I'm now in the position to get one, and I will, and I won't look back. I will be making the BIGGEST dream I have ever had come true in 9 months. I will be getting an ///M3 and that is that. No looking back at my decision, because my mind is made up. It is the last generation of a TRUE BMW ///M car, and I want one. I don't care about the upcoming RS5. It's going to be overly expensive and the middle will be filled with 100000 of buttons.

///M3, here I come!

The point I'm trying to make here is, if you guys want something and it's been a dream, don't hesitate to make it come true. It'll come back and bite you in the rear end.

P.S. The C63 is very tempting but not a usable car. Every time you go near the damn throttle for just a little bit of fun, the traction control light turns on.
OK!!! Now that you have that figured out, let's talk colors and options! Right now, my preference is probably in this order...space gray, silverstone, alpine white.....although I need to go look at Lemans blue again. I'd much prefer an ///M exclusive color but the space gray is nice. What are you thinking?

#75 ·
I had a BMW enthusiast try and convince me into getting the M3 in SpaceGray while we were deployed together. I had my wife compare the colors in person since I was deployed and only had a catalog to look at. I don't regret the Jerez Black and I'm sure the Jet Black is awesome as well. Black is always a lot of work, but if you are driving an M3, then it deserves to be pampered. Of course, trying to detail it will always take longer, because people will always come chat you up and compliment your sweet ride...and isn't that what it's about? With the interior, I chose a two tone, black and tan. It gives it a much warmer feeling to it. Good luck and enjoy.

#80 · (Edited)
If you see Melbourne Red under artificial light or at night, the orange doesn't show too much, but in broad daylight, it definitely has an orange hue. It looks very good on the M3, but I don't like it as much as Imola Red, for example.

My previous BMW was silver gray (very close to space gray). While I liked it and it was easy to keep clean, it did start to feel a little boring to me after a year or so.

Whatever you do, don't get wood trim interior. It's completely out of place on this car. If you ever see it in person, you'll know what I'm talking about. Also, I would drop PDC. It's not really necessary and makes your rear bumper look ugly. I'd also drop ZCW and just get the heated seats as a standalone option. Do get the iPod adapter if not standard.

#81 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I was considering the carbon leather trim, but was wondering what the standard titanium shadow trim was...have never seen it? Is it the plastic trim they had in the e46M3? I agree on no wood.

I was going to pass on the Ipod adapter due to the Hard Drive system that I can load up using a USB stick.

I agree on no PDC...it used to beep every time I started my car in the garage on my 545, very annoying.

I was going to pass on ZCW and heated seats both due to So Calif. climate.

I am planning on DCT, Tech, Premium, carbon trim, enhanced audio...on the fence on comp pkg, 19s or 18s.

Keep the tips coming!

#90 · (Edited)
Here are my opinions on the various colors. Keep in mind, color is an incredibly subjective thing, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I've seen cars in each of these colors that look stunning, so part of it is what you decide to do with it.

Melbourne red: A very nice color, especially with black accents, like dark tinted windows. I like that it's one of the few standout colors that BMW offers for the M3. A little too much orange for my taste, especially in bright sun light. Wish they had offered Imola instead. If you're interested in this color, be sure to check it out in different lighting situations. Traditionally an M-exclusive color, but I think they're offering it on the iS cars now.

Space Gray: Slightly lighter than silver gray for the E46, but the difference is hard to notice. Hides the dirt very well, but on the other hand doesn't really "pop" when it's clean. A few cosmetic mods can really help in this regard though and make it look sharp. Probably my second favorite color. Not an M-exlcusive color.

Alpine White: It's a good looking color on this car, but it's a little played out. I believe polls over on m3post show that almost 1 out of every 3 M3s is white. Also, if you're interested in modding it, there's not very many directions to take it (everyone seems to do the obvious black on white), so again, it's hard to make it stand out. Compared to Brilliant White (individual color) and the other metallic colors, Alpine White can look a little dull, especially when a little dirty, but when clean is pretty sharp. It is not an M-exclusive color.

Silverstone II: Don't be fooled into thinking this is a traditional silver. It has a very strong bluish hue to it. It can almost look baby blue in some lights. It's much lighter in tone than space gray. A Silverstone E90 M3 parks in my garage at work, and I can't really get myself to like it. It's a very bleh color to me, and probably my least favorite of all the available colors. It is an M-exclusive color.

Jet Black: I don't like it quite as much as Black Sapphire Metallic, which is deeper and glossier, but Jet Black is still an amazing color when clean. Simple, aggressive, and sharp. We all know what black looks like; not much needs to be said here. It is not an M-exclusive color.

Jerez Black: This color is pretty amazing. In some lights it looks very similar to Black Sapphire Metallic; and in other lights it looks like a dark blue. What it lacks in the sharp aggressiveness of Jet Black, it makes up for in depth and personality. To get a feel for what a chameleon this car is, be sure to check it out in different lighting situations. The only thing to be careful of is if you want to go with a "murdered" all-black kind of look. Jerez Black doesn't pull this look off quite as well as Jet Black, thanks to the bluish hint in direct sunlight. It is an M-exclusive color.

Interlagos Blue: This is hands down my favorite color. I never even considered it when I first placed my order, and I hadn't seen it in person. I was driving past my local dealer one day, and there was an IB E92 M3 sitting there and it made my jaw drop. It's one of the few M colors that really has a personality and really stands out. It gets complimented more than anything else about my car. It's a darker color than LeMans Blue, and also has more of a purple hue, especially in bright light. This gives it a little flash or pizazz in direct sunlight, but it's a chameleon, and looks dark and menacing at night. This color probably changes more with the lighting than any of the other colors, so be sure to check it out in different lighting situations. It really looks like two different colors in day and night. It's a tough color to keep clean. Not as bad as black, but no where near as easy as space gray. It is an M-exclusive color.

LeMans Blue: LMB is much more of a "true" blue. It's a great color and nice and rich. It's not nearly as much of a chameleon as Interlagos and IMO doesn't pop as much as Interlagos, but if you want more of a classy, understated look, this is the way to go. It is not an M-exclusive color.

#92 · (Edited)
As you say, color is subjective but I must thank you for the summary. Very helpful. On paper I was liking the blues but didn't know if they were too much. I have seen the silverstone now that it was explained by you and TGray but I didn't realize that was it. I actually hated it. Bland. Titanium Silver is the one I was really thinking about as IMO it does the best job within the grey family to pop. However it is not offered. I didn't care for the red nor do I think I could live with it for a long time. Great on great days but too much on most days.

What interiors have you seen the blues in? I was thinking Bamboo beige (I am getting a cab) or Black. Again, I have black now and although it keeps clean the best it doesn't show off the interior very well. On paper I did't like the silver and Red Fox I think might be too much again although it really has been my favorite color based on earlier bias to silver and black.

I am off to demo drive late this morning. DCT and manual. What did you guys end up with? I may be forced to go with DCT based on the family but personal preference is manual.
Tks again,

#98 ·
TLudwig...great writeup, thanks.:thumbup:

By the way, ASU, I drove a 6 speed M3 sedan yesterday. I'm a little rusty on manual transmissions but the shifter felt like it had a shorter throw than I expected and it felt ok, but not the greatest. I had a little trouble being smooth with it and I've heard that from others too. I could be happy with it, but I think I prefer the DCT. This test drive was also the first time I was able to drive on the highway and I wanted to evaluate the ride quality and sound of the car while cruising. Traffic was slow, so I couldn't cruise at 80, but cruising at 60, even in 5th was quiet...no exhaust drone or road noise to speak of...so M3 passed another test! I took a 270 degree off ramp at a nice clip and the car was amazingly flat...the sales rep was nervously glancing at the speedo to see how fast I was going :D

My friend's neighbor has a Melbourne Red sedan, so I'm off to his workplace later today to see it in the wild. I saw a space gray e92 and e93 on my 10 minute drive to the office this morning, so that color is all over the place...fitting in can be good for not attracting unwanted attention from the authorities I guess, but I've yet to be pulled over in my crimson red e92 so dunno.

#100 · (Edited)
TLudwig...great writeup, thanks.:thumbup:

By the way, ASU, I drove a 6 speed M3 sedan yesterday. I'm a little rusty on manual transmissions but the shifter felt like it had a shorter throw than I expected and it felt ok, but not the greatest. I had a little trouble being smooth with it and I've heard that from others too. I could be happy with it, but I think I prefer the DCT. This test drive was also the first time I was able to drive on the highway and I wanted to evaluate the ride quality and sound of the car while cruising. Traffic was slow, so I couldn't cruise at 80, but cruising at 60, even in 5th was quiet...no exhaust drone or road noise to speak of...so M3 passed another test! I took a 270 degree off ramp at a nice clip and the car was amazingly flat...the sales rep was nervously glancing at the speedo to see how fast I was going :D

My friend's neighbor has a Melbourne Red sedan, so I'm off to his workplace later today to see it in the wild. I saw a space gray e92 and e93 on my 10 minute drive to the office this morning, so that color is all over the place...fitting in can be good for not attracting unwanted attention from the authorities I guess, but I've yet to be pulled over in my crimson red e92 so dunno.
The 6MT definitely has some shortcomings: (1) the throws are way too long; (2) the shift knob is light and insubstantial feeling; (3) the engagement is rubbery and vague; (4) the 1-2 shift is very notchy, especially before warmed up; and (5) the clutch engagement point is extremely high (too much unecessary clutch travel).

Fortunately, I've largely been able to fix or lessen all of these issues by: (1) installing a short shift kit, which significantly shortened the throws and made the engagement much more crisp and affirmative; (2) replacing the stock shift knob with an illuminated E46 ZHP shift knob, which looks OEM, shortens the throws even more, and is heavier, which smooths out the notchiness; and (3) installing a clutch stop, which shortened the unecessarily long clutch travel. Now, I'm very satisfied with the shifting. Is it the best I've ever driven? No, it's not on the same level as the Cayman S, the S2000, or the RX-8, but it's good.

In any event, it sounds like the DCT is the right choice for you and your family. You're going to enjoy the performance it offers.

#108 ·
OK, today's update.

Saw two colors in the flesh that I had not seen before.

Driving to lunch past the BMW dealer I got a glimpse of a very cool looking blue...It's Interlagos! I pulled in to get a closer look and the color looked very good...better than expected. It had silver Novillo leather too which matched it quite well. There were several Space Gray cars next to it and I could be very happy with that color and it can look stunning inside with lights on it or in the shade after a fresh wax, but in the sun it just doesn't grab me.

Then drove over to see my friend's neighbor's Melbourne Red M3 sedan. and Wow, that is a very cool color! It's a unique red for sure and unique color code within BMW as well. I really like it. This car had black interior, tinted windows and the 19s and it all looked good together. I think this is going to be my color.

#117 · (Edited)
Thaks for the link. I am not sure if anyone read through the link TGray posted, but even though it is a couple years old, it is very informative. Remind you of what you knew but forgot and maybe tell you something you didn't.

I found a very good colour thread for exterior and interior for E90/E92 and some E93. Best summary I have seen.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56911

#118 ·
Got a call from my Sales associate today. The good news is my mom's getting her 535i xDrive in a month, along with that news I got information about how I can get out of my current lease early. Hopefully, she won't change her mind but she said she'll work with me to get out of my lease early so I can get into an M3.......IN JUNE! I hope I have enough. :D

#120 · (Edited)
OK, late to the party, but I'm joining in also. Current lemans blue 335 owner, seriously considering an M3 coupe. Not the smartest financial decision, but what the ___, I can afford it. So, just been following the thread and thought I'd share that I'm now drinking the cool aid. :)

Driven a few M's and owned an M roadster. Had the opportunity to track an M3 coupe at the BMW factory in SC last year, but decided I need to own one.

Thanks for all the input!

#121 ·
Interesting. Don't you have a 09 335i Coupe now. BTW I was thinking of going with LMB as well for my future M3 but I have been all over the map on what color I like. Seems to change daily with me. Would you be getting rid of the 09' or keeping it for winter driving. If not would you be getting another LMB? What interior would you go with...I think your it says silver but it also seems to suggest saddle. In pictures silver looks washed out but I am sure it looks different live. Thoughts on colors?

#134 ·
M3 is a great car...but, I went with the 335 and a chip for two main reasons. It would have cost me over 50% more per month in payments and 50% more in gas for the M3. If you buy it, that's one thing, but leasing an M3 makes no financial sense compared to the 335.

True, handling and exhaust noise are a little different, but acceleration 0-60 is about the same. And I don't like to rev, so technically, the 335 is actually quicker to me.

#135 ·
Placed an order today!

Hi All,
Well the waffling is over, I placed my order today! Thanks for all the tips and advice. I will be doing Euro Delivery for the 3rd time. Current plan is picking up the car in early June. Here is my order:

2011 E92 M3 coupe
Space Gray A52
Fox Red Extended Leather NDH2
4MY Carbon Trim
CF roof

2MK Dual Clutch Transmission
4MY Carbon trim
752 Enhanced Premium Sound
NAV
Met Paint
ZPP-ND Premium Pkg
NDH2 Extended NovilloLeather
ZTP Tech Pkg
2MT 19" Forged Wheels

#138 ·
Hi All,
Well the waffling is over, I placed my order today! Thanks for all the tips and advice. I will be doing Euro Delivery for the 3rd time. Current plan is picking up the car in early June. Here is my order:
Congratulations! I am really sorry to do this because I feel like I'm asking a question that I'm the only one in the room who doesn't know. What is the pricing advantage now for doing ED on an M3?

#136 ·
Great news and congrats. IMO that is the best color combo with FR interior. I drive a Space Gregy 335i coupe now and I need a change otherwise that would be my choice. I don't think ED will work for me based on the 6-8 week second delivery. I need to make my mind up soon on colors but it seems I'm down to Melbourne Red or Jerez blk unless I bite the bullet for an individual color.

Good luck on the wait

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.