BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3 or 335i?

144K views 77 replies 39 participants last post by  M3Inline6 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a 335i, always been fascinated by them and I love the look andd everything. I'm planning on buying used possiblyy 2010 or older and have set my budget to that price point. Only problem I have a pretty strict criteria that's hard to find pre-owned. Blue, 6MT, cold weather and NAV. My colour is always a bit flexible if I meet the rest. It's going to be my summer vehicle. But everytime I'm on kijiji or any other site I keep going to the letter M. I just want to know what things I should think about between a M3 and a 335i. I know maintence costs will be higher and insurance will be about a thousand more a year, which I'm not really worried about. I do have a hoist in my garage so I can do my own oil changes and minor stuff, but I'm in no way experienced with imports.

With the M3 my budget would only allow 2008 and with a 335i till about 2010 so I'm just wondering what you guys think.

#56 ·
I love this debate

There are some excellent points in this commentary, and I know I am late to the conversation but just wanted to add a couple of things. I have an '08 335i with the 6 speed manual trans and Dinan Stage 1 mod and Dinan 4 tip exhaust, tuned to about 368 hp (I say about because the car now has 55k) and sport package and I am considering an M3 with the standard trans (I want to drive the car - I get why everyone likes the paddles but I want a clutch) with the executive package and 19" wheel/tire and sport. My two bits worth is this: the 335i with the mods gives me just as much fun with a tighter sense of the car wrapped around me. I may still buy the M3 but it is more of a luxury car with punch. I find the suspension a tad bit softer and when running by the lakeshore with constant turns and ups and downs on the road, the 335i feels like it is a part of me, whereas I feel like I am a part in the M3. I don't know how better to say that. I think driving is such an individual experience, so I just wanted to share that if I want to feel like I am in a cockpit that fits me like a glove as I hurtle around corners and teeter on the brink, I take the 335i with the upgrades. I don't see how you can lose with either car.

#57 ·
I'm pretty new to BMW ownership, but I'll chime in. It sounds like you have some budget constraints, and I'm guessing this will be your main or only car, and it likely won't have a warranty. If I were in that situation I wouldn't be getting the M3. Its a great car, but not a great everything car. It also isn't a cheap car to maintain well. I'm keeping my Toyota Camry for longer trips, for trips that will involve sitting in traffic, or bad weather - all situations where its a better choice than the M3. I'll probably be booted out of the club for saying this, but if I were having to buy an out of warranty car that will be my only one, I might consider a Toyota or Honda instead. If you have to go BMW, and it has to be M3 vs 335i, I'd go with the 335i, its the better all arounder. I would absolutely avoid any BMW with a turbo.

#58 ·
If you have to go BMW, and it has to be M3 vs 335i, I'd go with the 335i, its the better all arounder. I would absolutely avoid any BMW with a turbo.
are you trying to be funny?

#59 ·
Nope, just giving an opinion hopefully geared to the OPs situation. I view my M3 as a luxury, well in excess of what I need for practical transportation, and not as well suited for some situations as some "lesser" cars. The way the original question was asked leads me to think that budget and practicality are considerations. I also happen to think that turbos add another layer of complexity, as well as not always being well cared for in use by previous owners of used cars, so I'd suggest the OP avoid them.

What part of my post struck you as an attempt at humor?

#60 ·
m3 is the one that doesnt have the turbos. the 335i is.

think thats why you are being laughed at. or could be trolling i dont know

#61 ·
Ok, makes perfect sense. My face is red, and you have my apologies. :eek:uch: I really didn't look at the regular 3 series for myself much before choosing my M3, and didn't remember the 335i had the turbo. I came to the M3 after shopping Porsche and Corvette and deciding I needed something that filled my need for speed and refinement without sticking out to the boys in blue quite so obviously. Therefore I revise my suggestion to the OP to consider a 3 series without turbo.

#63 ·
335is FTW!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#77 ·
If you don't own a BMW you should not be giving advice

A 4L NA engine that revs to 8K is less reliable than an inline six with turbos...
IMHO I would always take a NA over a turbo engine
I don't know WHERE this came from. How so? Just because an engine CAN rev to 8K, doesn't mean that one constantly does this. In practical daily driving, mine rarely (never) gets north of 5K. AFAIK the V8 is relatively bullet proof, the same cannot be said for the turbo motor (chronic HPFP issues and to a lesser degree turbo bearings, depending on which turbo).

We know the HPFP on the 335 has historical issues, curious if they are in the new 320/328 as well? . . . but that's a whole new thread :) Maybe they're too new to tell yet.

#68 ·
My previous car before my current (e90 m3) was a 2009 e90 335i. My 335 was modded with a Cobb v3 tune, mid pipe and intake. I was running stage 2 agressive tune and getting dyno results of 445 hp and 419 tq. That car HAULED. I would easily take down m3s and even run with m5s until 110mph. I was shocked at the type of cars I could take down. The car was a blast. That being said, it still wasn't an m3. It didn't have the suspension or capabilities the m3 has. It has unbelievable break neck straight line speed but I still found myself trying to cosmetically make it an M. So instead of continuing to put money into it I got an m3 and couldn't be happier. The way the car handles is incredible. Simply incredible. I have the 6 speed also. There are plenty of cars that are faster than mine, including my old 335, but the car is literally the most fun car I've ever owned. More fun than the 2012 jeep SRT8 I had before my 335i. Now the problem is the modding can get out of hand. 72 hours after taking delivery my car had a Meisterschaft GT2 system and AFE intake dropped in lol. Buy the M. No matter how much you love the twin turbo, you'll find yourself wanting an M. Guaranteed.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#70 · (Edited)
If you buy the 335i you will always wonder and wish you owned a M3...
The M3 is the premier performance car in the 3 lineup and IMOP of all BMWs..
You may even spend more by modifying the 335i, than if you had just bought a M3
If you do modify it, you will waste your money and still have a 335i, with even lower residual value when you sell it.
I bought a base Vette and always wanted a Z06 after that....
When I bought my car this time I bought the top model...
Buy the M3...:thumbup:

#71 ·
Agreed about performance, but the trade-offs ? not feeling them.

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my 330 M-Sport (ZAM/ZHP) to an '08 M3. Rather than agreeing or disagreeing, I thought I would add my own flavour to this. A 335 is not in the picture, and besides, I detest turbos. Having said this, I find the economy of the M3 not all THAT different from the ZHP. Coming down from the cottage, cruising in economy mode, the 330 was sucking back about 8.9l/100. I tried the same experiment with the M3 and managed 9.4l/100 (.2 better than EPA). Get stuck in traffic, yes it sucks gas back, but again, not THAT much more, somewhere around 2l/100 KM. If you try to mash the throttle, it will mash your wallet, simple trade-off.

I find the ride a bit stiffer, but the seats are just SOOOO much more comfortable that there are no issues, and besides, with EDC it is largely controllable. Having said this, my preference is for a stiffer suspension anyway. The more comparable vehicle than the 335 is likely the 135 M Sport, which I also find to be a pocket rocket. Still, there's that turbo again. One extra piece to mess up. Mechanical simplicity is also why I chose a 6 speed over the DCT.

Now, let's see about a winter beater. My old 323i is on its last legs, and I don't think the M3 is a good candidate for salty, snowy, icy Canadian winters.

#72 ·
Wow, great post and great information. I have a 07 335xi, 6mt and Dinan Stage 2 software and intake. It is fun, but like a few have said, I am constantly longing for an M3 and hope one is in my near future!

Question, does anyone know if the M3 6MT and the 335 6MT are the same? I have issues (and apparently others do, too) with stubborn shifting between 1st and 2nd.

#73 ·
Question, does anyone know if the M3 6MT and the 335 6MT are the same? I have issues (and apparently others do, too) with stubborn shifting between 1st and 2nd.
I have no issues whatsoever and never have had any in any BMW. If I ever have to shift up to first, I tend to double-clutch, but even that probably isn't necessary. The ZHP's shifter was a *teeny* bit tighter, but then it's known to be extraordinarily good.

The normal 3 series E9x shifter "seems" a little long & sloppy. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

#74 ·
I just noticed this ... OP claims this will be his "summer car" but insists upon ZCW ... ? Weird.

#75 ·
First off holy, this post has been through a couple of years. I don't remember if I updated this thread but I did end up going with a 2008 M3 E92. Got it from Illinois and brought it up to British Columbia. I got a smokin deal and love every minute in the car.

The M3 for me is an exceptional car, I haven't had a single problem with it since I bought it and it keeps on giving. Great ride, comfort and functionality for what I use it for. Turns heads in my town wherever I go. This year I am going to give the ol' girl some love with some tasteful upgrades, since shes remained stock for 2 years now.

So I guess I did answer the original posts question with "M3"!

I couldn't help but answer this question as it was the latest post but I drive the car May till October which is "summer" leather still gets a bit cool at night so I do like the bum warmers. Also for the girlfriend...always a different temperature than yourself.

#76 ·
Only suggestion I have is to perhaps start doing blackstone oil tests to keep any eye on your rod bearings, the weakness this engine has is many eat those up and they can then spin destroying your engine. You have an older model with the lead coated bearings so if they are badly worn you will see high levels of lead.

I replaced mine with WPC treated bearings when I supercharged my M3 at 31,00miles and they were BADLY worn, I would of lost my engine around 60,00miles or so if I would of left it as it was. Other than that and squishy rear diff mounts the car is pretty problem free and I plan to keep mine for a very very long time.

Hope your upgrades go well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.