BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335i people going to M235i

31K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  mecodoug 
#1 ·
Who is as excited about the M235i as me?

Anyone out there not as happy with their 335i and looking to get back into a sporty BMW?

17 months and counting until lease end!!!

#2 ·
I can't buy a coupe, otherwise I'd be really excited. EVO magazine even mentioned the M135i has real steering feel, maybe recalibrated electric power steering? If they make a 4 door I'll buy it.

#4 ·
We have an Outback for trips, but our 2nd car still needs to be able to fit a car seat (and soon two), that's why i can't get a coupe. But maybe your kids are old enough to use boosters or just seat belts? I'm looking forward to that.

#5 ·
I'm excited too. Planning on switching from an e92 335i to the M235i possibly. Sounds like you have an F30 335i? THe M135i/235i share a lot of components with the F30 (steering, transmission, engine, suspension, etc), so i'm a bit skeptical that it will be such a different driving experience. Although the reviews seem pretty breathless about it. I guess the smaller size, some tweaks to various ECUs, and a louder exhaust all add up.

Chris if you can wait till 2015 the rumored 2 series Gran Coupe should materialize to solve your problem!

#9 ·
Reviews say the M135i has more steering feel, but that could be just subjective.

yeah, I'd love a Gran Coupe!

#7 ·
Thanks for the insight. Yeah the fact that it is smaller is going to make all of the difference, especially with more hp than my 335i.

I don't like the newer technologies such as ASS, Eco pro, etc. but they are going to be in all brands short term.

Honestly, Im really super curious about the CLA AMG45. A little expensive but it looks like it could be a dream car and Im not the biggest Mercedes fan. Will have to see what the M235i pricing looks like.

The 228i sales should kill the Base CLA250 as long as people can stand a two-door.

#14 ·
It looks like BMW fixed the headlamps on the M235i - not touching the grill. They should change the F30 also.

#15 ·
I don't like E36s or anything older, because they look like antiques.
I don't like E92s because of excessive problems, and they look too feminine (again, college girls on campus love the body styling and 75% of owners are female - 335is too.)
F30's only a sedan.
E46 facelift coupes not vert are the only ones that make me go :)

But this new one.....coupe, size is about the same as the E46, interior would be a nice update, plus much more power.

Seriously considering moving on.....but only if it's as fun to drive and reliable-ish.

#16 ·
Most definitely thinking about it. I've had both an E90 335i and an E88 135i, and while I'm driving a cherry E46 330 at the moment, I'll be in the market for something new in about 18 months. I test-drove the F30 328i and 335i last year and was NOT impressed in the least; the steering/handling is a step *down* from the E90, and the stop/start feature drove me completely batty. I would easily buy a CPO E90 335i over either one in a heartbeat. While I think the F30 328i is an improvement engine-wise over the E90 version (I know, I know - turbo 4 = Bimmer blasphemy), it's not enough to save the rest of the car's failings. If I had to buy a (new) Bimmer this instant, it'd probably be a 135i with DCT (which wasn't available when I bought my '08 - I had a manual). I'm well-aware that the only reason BMW hasn't dropped that sucker in the 3-series is because they're worried about (further) cannibalization of M3 sales, but I have a buddy with a 2011 135i thus equipped and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DOOOOOOOGIE is that thing a rocket.

Still, I am initially *very* impressed with the '15 Audi S3, both looks-wise and (purported) performance-wise, particularly if it comes in at under $40K base. I know BMW hasn't formally announced it yet, but I'm expecting a hefty price hike with the 4-series, since they're clearly emulating Audi's MO (and an A5 starts at $5,500 more than an A4, with the only significant equipment difference being a traditional six-speed Tiptronic available in all A5s instead of the horrible CVT in most A4s). If a 435i ends up costing roughly the same as an E92 M3, then something will be *seriously* wrong (particularly if BMW doesn't fix the damn steering!!).

#21 ·
As soon as my lease is up will roll into an M235i. My 335i was one of the launch cars and the first one sold in Florida ... 3 days before its official release on 11 Feb 2012. Had to wait three days before BMW's finance system would accept the sale.

(My other car? A Stingray vert, the best $62K bargain in the entire automobile world.)

#22 · (Edited)
moving from a 335 to a m235i - maybe ..

.. with a stop in between.
My view of the M235i, as of today:
Weight ***8211;

It appears likely to be a weight comparable to the 335iS that I leased in 2011, though I have seen no independent verification of a US spec. weight. Having recently driven a 3,500+ pound BMW for close to 30,000 miles, and given the size, level of performance & equipment ***8211; I personally have no issue with the weight.

Price ***8211;
2011 335iS - $53.5K with 7-speed auto \ DCT
2014 M235i - $44.0K with 8-speed ZF sport automatic

Performance ***8211;
It appears that the acceleration will be slightly better than that 335iS. With the tires & suspension specified, I expect that it will handle & ride incrementally better.

Size ***8211;
It appears to have enough interior and luggage room ***8211; for me.

Efficiency ***8211;
The EPA city MPG rating is 30% better than the 335iS.
The EPA highway MPG rating is 33% better.
In fact, the M235i highway number is 1 less than the VW GTI that I now drive.

Initial published reviews [ based on track & street driving in & around Vegas ] have been quite positive.
So ***8211; pending instrumented tests verifying the above ***8211; and my own test drive, the M235i is high on my ***8216;short list***8217; of contenders for my $s, next time around.
YMMV.
- Ray
Likely to make the move very late this year, or early 2015.

#23 ·
I haven't seen the 2-series in person yet, I am hearing about some sub-par interior, etc. - will hopefully check it out at NYAS or when it will hit the show rooms.
My lease is up in October of this year, I hope by May-June production will ramp up, and there won't be any issues with the dealer allocations, and pricing at MSRP nonsense.

#26 ·
It's on my list. A lower budget interior is expected on a lower level car, guess I'll have to see it before I determine how low budget it is. The new C class could have been nice, and the 350hp turbo v6 is apparently going to be an option, but they killed it by putting a portable GPS on the dash.

#36 ·
It's on my list. A lower budget interior is expected on a lower level car, guess I'll have to see it before I determine how low budget it is. The new C class could have been nice, and the 350hp turbo v6 is apparently going to be an option, but they killed it by putting a portable GPS on the dash.
The C class is a direct competitor for the 3 series. The 2 series is more in line with the CLA, I'm beating the 2 series might have a little more room than the CLA...

#28 ·
See my post #8.

Unfortunately, in the meantime since I posted that, we learned that

- it weighs 3,530 pounds and I know how 3,600 pounds feel in my E92 with basically the same power (N55+PPK). Which was the main reason to look at 2 series and not even consider F30 or F32

- cannot be had without moonroof (without potentially big problems)

This leaves 228i with 200 pounds less and no moonroof easily ordered. After a test drive, I will have to see if it is acceptable or I better make plans to travel to Zuffenhausen instead of Munich for my next car.

#30 ·
I think the complaints over the interior are unfounded. It is the same interior (more or less) that the F30 has. If you don't like that you won't like the 2er interior as they're the same or similar materials. I think the 3er interior, and therefore the 2er interior, is what you'd expect in a entry level sport sedan.

This is from spending a half a day in the inside -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747639

Tim

#37 ·
I saw the M235i at BMW headquarters in Woofcliff N.J. I think this model is going to be BMW's bread and butter. The car has nice simple lines, size of the E46, lots of power, and non run flats. I read however, it's going to have electric steering. What ashame.

#38 ·
Car and Driver review:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-bmw-m235i-2-series-coupe-first-drive-review

Shod with staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, the M235i has an abundance of lateral grip, yet it's still simple enough to rotate the car with the throttle. It turns in quickly with a light and precise feel to the steering. The electric power-steering system communicates more about the road surface than in the 4-series, which itself marked an improvement over the latest 3-series. More impressive is the M235i's balance, and the way it delivers just the right amount of body motion to let you know how hard it can be pushed. This is important because you sit upright in the M235i and there's plenty of suspension travel. With its lower belt line and cowl, it feels less like contemporary BMWs than it does models past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.