BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

First M3

5K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Kurt_OH 
#1 ·
Picking up my first M3 on Monday, it's a 09 M3 with 52,000 miles, along with the maintenance record I had the seller take it to the BMW shop for a complete check to include fluid change. Car is equip with everything that comes with this model but had some upgrades to include a Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust System, vorsteiner E92 boot lid, GTD-V front lip and ESS E-Flash ECU Performance Software 91 Octane/Akrapovic , also stores stock engine tune. Seller is also giving all the parts that was swapped out as well.
For you veterans M3 owner, is there be anything I need to be aware off?

#4 ·
Just be aware of your right foot.

Don't be like that guy that totaled his within the first 30 minutes of buying it.

Anyway, congratulations. You chose one of the best cars BMW has ever made :thumbup:

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#6 ·
It has been stated that the M3 (2007-2013) is one of the more reliable vehicles from BMW. While you have the maintenance records, check that all recommended work has been done. Depending on how you drive it, expect 200-250 miles per tank. This is the one weak area. Not so much the fuel economy (which could be better) but the gas tank capacity. Otherwise enjoy your new M3 and welcome to the forum.

#7 · (Edited)
Heard the stories about the gas mileage, guess I will have to lay of the gas pedal sometimes if I want to get a couple more miles out of the tank...:cry: Lager tank means more weight, more weight slower speeds, that's give and take. What type of fuel do you run on? In Italy they have the regular (89) or blu-super (93). Do the different modes give differences in milage? If so what is the best possible drive mode for everyday city driving and on the autostrada?

#11 ·
..by who?

Congrats on the new ride,... :thumbup: Just remember to lay off the throttle before the oil heats up.

#14 ·
For your M button, keep traction control on. Then move to MDM. You don't need turn traction control off. But you can. Don't ever drive with DSC off.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#15 ·
With my work schedule I haven't had time to learn most of the car features, I tried plugging in my iPod into the jack but the radio don't not recognized it. Is there a way around that or am I stuck to listening to CDs and AFN radio and Italian music?
Also, is there any where I can get my current rims power coated?

#19 ·
Do you have the Y cable?? You may need that for the 09

#24 ·
Go to the dealer, they will surely overcharge you for one.......lol.
I thought I had kept the one from my X5......tried looking for it and would have sent it to you.

#26 ·
Welcome.

I have a pre Sep 09 build 2009 E92 (build date matters for the idrive).

I use this little gizmo to stream bluetooth from my iphone 4S:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739217&highlight=

You will likely need a Y cable for a 2009, reference here:

http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTE...F8&qid=1391373820&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+y+cable

Thing is, my car recognizes the phone, and the BT gizmo, at the same time. So incoming calls mute music automatically etc. it works pretty well for me for like $25.

#27 ·
Check if the idle control valve has had issues. Mine was replaced under warranty.

Some cars also had issues with creaking in the rear diff. A different spec fluid solved that problem for me.

Otherwise my car has been fairly trouble free.

#31 ·
I would find a credit card/gas card which you can get max big rewards for gas purchases.. We have //M3 and x5 50i so our quarterly rewards check is like a three figures.

#32 ·
Regarding the iPod thing, I bought a 2010 M3 two years ago that came with a cable from BMW. Plugged my phone and iPod (not at the same time) and got music from both and was able to control it from the I Drive screens/controller/steering wheel controls. No comm box on mine. The I don't remember if the cable was a y cable, but it was a BMW part. I plugged it into the USB in the center console arm rest, not in the glove box.

Since you have the Nurembergring decal on your car you have to take it to Nuremberg and drive on it at least once a month!

#35 ·
The Akrapovic exhaust sounds awesome, and for those who don't have one, it is a great investment

My next move is to replace the current stock rims with a set of electric blue 19" 19x9 ET18 and 19x10 ET25 VMR V710 or Avant Grande 365s. I'm not an expert on sizes or off sets, so if anyone have info in this field let me now. I'm looking for a flush look but wide back tire, very little wheel gap and a tough look.

Rotorheadbob, are those Avant Grande 365 your running on your M3? If so what size and off set did you go with and are you having any issues? The guy at Modbargins.com told me that those where the ultimate competition M3 selected rims next to factory stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.