BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

241K views 399 replies 209 participants last post by  Six-Demon-Bag 
#1 ·
The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

what up fellas i just finished payin off this car ive had for a about 2 yrs. i see like 05 06 6ers for around 40 45. besides the sick look of the ride any body wanna add something to further convince. the price and looks got me already. Thanks.

#106 ·
Love my 645

No matter what 6 series you decide to get, you won't be disappointed. I personally don't care for a convertible because its not practical for me, BUT I must admit, the convertible is awesome. Either way, the 6 series is a sporty looking car. You will get lots of compliments on your choice of BMW. Certified Preowned is the most economical way to own an expensive BMW. Just beware, the tires are Run Flat Tires which are very EXPENSIVE to replace. One tire is $800 and they say they can't be repaired but I have had 2 repaired. If they offer you tire insurance, don't turn it down. That is the only thing so far that I don't like about the car, I am looking into changing the Run flats the drawback is you won't have a spare tire. Most importantly, if you can't afford the repairs once the warranty expires, don't get the car. :)

#107 ·
My first post. I just got a 2007 650 vert, titanium silver metallic with cream interior. 24,600 miles. It's in pristine condition except for a couple of tiny scratches and one very small door ding on the driver's side quarter panel. I plan to get that taken out, any success with aftermarket shops?

They did offer the tire insurance program but I declined. Anyone know if you can still buy it from them after the fact? (assuming the tire isn't flat, of course)

Thanks!

#110 ·
I don't post a lot (since I always feel like there are more knowledgeable resources) but I do frequent bimmerfest often.

I'm interested in purchasing a used 650i vert. I found a 2007 black on beige with 42K on it. Really attractive car.

I'm currently negotiating with a dealer and should be able to get them to 36500 (orig. $39000). Car includes cold weather, comfort access, nav, HUD, sports package, Logic7, M6 Wheels, PDC. On the downside, the dealer only has a single key and the existing tires should be replaced within the next few thousand miles.

Does this seem like a good deal? Are there any pitfalls that I should take into consideration. Currently extended the warranty is pretty high on my priority list if I move on this vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

#113 ·
A year ago we traded our '05 530i with sportpac (purchased new, custom ordered and loaded)in on a new 09 750 LI. We like both cars. Now the question--I'm looking for a car for me--read 650. I love buying new, but it's getting a bit out-of-hand pricewise. And as the car is a second car for me, I'm liking the thought of getting a low-mileage '07 or '08. But nowhere can find discussions regarding the ever-so-slight differences applied to the 650 each year since the intorduction of the 650. About all I can discern is the difference in the rims.

Any help out there...

#114 ·
Definitely worth the money for a warranty , these highend toys could break $ you if you aren't careful, I bought my 650i used and I did not hesitate to purchase a extended warranty/service plan . My advice do your homework and do some research before you buy.. Good luck and Good Riding. :)

#115 ·
Are there any engine issues with the 6 series like there are with the 335?

I've been having a hard time deciding on which BMW to pick. I've been researching the 335 ICs and the 328ICs. I'm concerned about the HPFP issues that appear to plague many 335s (I've even heard about a few of the 2011s have had failures). The 328ic is not as big of an issue due to the lack of twin turbos, but the power is also lacking. I do love the hard-top convertible though. Anyway, now I'm checking out used 650ic and they have enough power and room for sure. I'll have to settle for a rag top, bit was wondering if there are any overall mechanical issues you guys could advise me about. Many thanks in advance!

#116 · (Edited)
I've been having a hard time deciding on which BMW to pick. I've been researching the 335 ICs and the 328ICs. I'm concerned about the HPFP issues that appear to plague many 335s (I've even heard about a few of the 2011s have had failures). The 328ic is not as big of an issue due to the lack of twin turbos, but the power is also lacking. I do love the hard-top convertible though. Anyway, now I'm checking out used 650ic and they have enough power and room for sure. I'll have to settle for a rag top, bit was wondering if there are any overall mechanical issues you guys could advise me about. Many thanks in advance!
I spent the last six+ months doing the same research and ultimately bought a 2007 650 vert. What actually got me thinking convertible was all the new mid-size sporty six cylinder hard-top verts that have come out over the last couple of years, as the hard-top seemed like a great solution to typical convertible issues with noise, security, etc. I researched and drove the Lexus 350C, Infinity G37 and BMW 335. Of the three, I wanted the BMW. When I started to talk specifics with the BMW sales guy, he suggested that I test drive the 650 as the price points for 2007-2008 CPOs were only a few thousand more for the 650 (even though MSRP's had been $30K+ higher on the 650). Although I realized he was going for the upsell, I took him up on the offer, and I'm glad I did. The drives were both excellent but somewhat different, and the 650 seemed to have a slight edge in backseat room for the occassional use by my teenagers. Although I liked the 335, the 650 seemed to have more features, a little more "presence", and more uniqueness, luxury and torque than the 335 (one feature I liked was the dynamic suspension "sport" setting in the 650, so I could commute with a smooth ride, and kick in sport mode when needed, which made it so it wasn't as harsh a ride as the 335). So far, I'm still very happy with the ragtop, which I initially thought would be a draw back but it has actually turned out to be a positive given the additional trunk room and good sound dampening.
Either way, you're not going to go wrong b/n the 335 or the 650. Given the complexity of the systems on the 650, I would recommend going CPO and/or extended maintenance, to be on the safe side, even though I haven't had any mechanical problems to date (except brake vacuum pump recall, which is on many BMW models). If you search this forum, you will find some issues with ragtop sensor malfunctions on older 650's, and some other isolated issues, but probably not anything more than usual. Sorry for the long response, but hopefully it helps.

Happy hunting!

#117 ·
what up fellas i just finished payin off this car ive had for a about 2 yrs. i see like 05 06 6ers for around 40 45. besides the sick look of the ride any body wanna add something to further convince. the price and looks got me already. Thanks.
hey dude i see that ur from houston but if ur still looking at a 6er there a grey 08 bmw 650i for 47.5k at the bmw of westmomentum its is certified preowned the car is perfect

#118 ·
hey dude i see that ur from houston but if ur still looking at a 6er there a grey 08 bmw 650i for 47.5k at the bmw of westmomentum its is certified preowned the car is perfect with around 33k mi

#119 ·
telltale signs of a 645ci smg

Hi all,

Sorry for the newbie question, but what is the easiest way to tell if your 645ci is a 6spd SMG or a 6spd Automatic?

I'm basically looking to buy an SMG but the dealers in my locality are clueless and will just claim anything to get you to buy their car (one guy with an automatic even claimed there was no SMG for this model, lol... another claimed the automatic and the SMG "are the same thing" :D:D)

I did some searches on google for ways to tell between 645ci SMG and 645ci Auto but I only found "subjective" methods, eg. "SMG is jerkier on shifts" etc - is there an easy way perhaps from the idrive menu or something?

Thanks,
Sam

#121 ·
check mine out price is almost half of what your trying to pay

let me know what you think :)

Attachments

#123 · (Edited)
I was at the dealer and saw a new (2011) 650i. My daughter is in Afghanistan, said BMW was offering them a substantial discount for a new one, she's been a BMW owner for nearly 20 years, had two 328's, now has a 2002 X5. I told her about the 650, which new, loaded, cost in excess of $100K. The salesman said they had a 2008 for about half the price, loaded also, black. I told her about it; she said buy it. She returns from Afghanistan in early May and will have this magnificent driving machine waiting for her. I love it so much I'd like to sell my house, buy a 650i, and move into it! Yep, it's a vert!

#124 ·
Shopping for a convertible for the summer. Prob ruled out SL500 for reliability issues. Came across an 05 645 convertible for sale 62k miles and dealer is asking 27k. How is the reliability of these cars and that mileage? Seem like a decent deal? any certain things to ask and look out for? It looks clean and I'll drive it yet this week. thanks!

#125 ·
That is a pretty good deal, but from what I have heard and read the repairs are astronomical***8230;. There is a black black 05 645ci 52000miles with a bit of a warranty left in South Florida at Germain BMW. they just got it in so they aren't dropping the price just yet or I was gonna go for it, but I think its better off going up a bit in price and getting something a little newer and less miles

#126 ·
Drove the 645 today. looked and drove great. New tires and brakes. History is a buyback from dealer early on (unkown reason) then routine maintenance history for the next 40k+, miles Most Recently was a repo.

Are there common lemon problems on these cars? The issue seemed to have been fixed but don't know what it was.

tempting that they are asking 27k. the 650's I see are a step up in the high $30-40k range and not sure I want to spend that.

I also drove a mint 05 boxter S w/ 20k miles they are asking 35k which is high but perfect shape and a fun drive. Love the SL500's but they are pure junk in multiple expensive maintenance w/ the electronics.

any opinions?

#127 ·
Need help making an offer on 06 650i coupe

Hello bimmerfest world! I'm new to posting on this forum, but l've long been a "lurker" on this site trying to absorb all the awesome bmw knowledge you all impart. I've never owned a 650i (or any bimmer for that matter), so I need advice on what to offer on an 06 650i coupe.

Details:
06 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
sports package, cold weather package, premium sound package
dark birchwood trim
tires not new, but in good condition
non-CPO, but ~1year left on the manufacturer's warranty
1 owner and only 17,500 miles
Asking price is $41,500

any help would be greatly appreciated.

#128 · (Edited)
Hello bimmerfest world! I'm new to posting on this forum, but l've long been a "lurker" on this site trying to absorb all the awesome bmw knowledge you all impart. I've never owned a 650i (or any bimmer for that matter), so I need advice on what to offer on an 06 650i coupe.

Details:
06 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
dark birchwood trim
tires not new, but in good condition
non-CPO, but ~1year left on the manufacturer's warranty
1 owner and only 17,500 miles
Asking price is $41,500

The original warranty is only 4yrs. So it would already be out of the manufacturers warranty, now if the owner purchased an extended warranty find out details about transferring it, and what is actually covered, a lot of extended warranties leave off some of the big components. As for price not sure what to tell you because I haven't researched coupes much. but in compares that seems a bit high. Convertibles with like 35-50k miles, and CPOs and 2007 sell for about that much. So I think he's a little high. and bluebook is only $35,800. So he's way high

#130 ·
OK gang, I punted on the last 650 prospect based on the advice from Jace_91. Thanks for the input.

What say you (anyone) on the following 08 650i coupe.

Details:
08 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
dark birchwood trim
new tires
CPO, manufacturer's warranty through July 2012
CPO warranty through 2014 or 100K miles
1 owner, 35K miles
Asking price is $41,500

#133 ·
OK gang, I punted on the last 650 prospect based on the advice from Jace_91. Thanks for the input.

What say you (anyone) on the following 08 650i coupe.

Details:
08 Coupe, black exterior/beige interior
dark birchwood trim
new tires
CPO, manufacturer's warranty through July 2012
CPO warranty through 2014 or 100K miles
1 owner, 35K miles
Asking price is $41,500

zb, a few months ago I got a 650i convertible for my daughter while she is in Afghanistan. In fact, she just got back to the states today, and I'll pick her up in this beauty she hasn't even seen yet ... except in pictures.

It is also an 08, black/black with the dark trim; it is loaded, has everything possible. The leather is yummy. The tires, tho, are not new, but have less mileage than your car, so you're lucky in that respect. When test driving it, there was a problem with the battery, so I made them put in a new one, and got a trickle battery charger for it. It is so high tech, you might want to consider a trickle battery charger for your car, especially if you are in a cold zone.

I must warn you, tho. You get the initial warranty, but not to 100K miles unless you paid for it. Check it out carefully. In addition to the extended warranty (to 100K), there is a tire warranty, and I think another one. We'll go to the dealer when my daughter returns, and they'll go over everything with her.

I LOVE the 650i so much I'm joking about selling my house, buying a 650, and moving into it! The 650 truly is the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Good luck!

#132 ·
Here is what I found as new for the 2006 650i vs the 645Ci:
  • Revised N62B48 motor 4.8L vs 4.4L - +35 hp and +30 lb-ft
  • Start button and key fob
  • Comfort access available as an option
  • Interior contrast color is now dark gray (black)
  • New iDrive knob with leather insert (vs all metal)
  • New wheel designs
  • New exterior colors: Monaco Blue and Barbera Red
  • Active Steering a stand-alone option and no longer required with the sport package
  • Dynamic Stability Control upgrades: Brake Fading Compensation, Brake Standby, Brake Drying, Start-off Assistant (Hill Start Assist)

#136 ·
Let me start by saying hello.. Obviously I'm new here but I've been referring here for months. I'm currently in the final stages of purchasing a 650. I've decided i want an 06/07 convertible and have narrowed it down to a few. My concern is that the ones I found for my price are located at independent dealerships (which scare me) as opposed to BMW dealers or carmax. I'm very thorough as this Is not my first rodeo but I am leery. I'm leaning towards a 07 650i, 47k miles, $36k and a 07 650i, 38k miles $35. Both verts.
My concern is that the first is a small independent dealer in Miami and the other is a private seller in Mississippi. Can I purchase and EVP on such vehicles? Im looking for the peace of mind as anybody would. Please give me as much insight on purchasing as possible on these or any 650's for that matter please

#137 ·
when I bought my '07 vert last year, I had the same concerns and ultimately found what I wanted by getting a CPO off-lease from a BMW dealer out of state (and BMW NA extended the free maintenance out to 6 yrs/100k miles as part of a sales program incentive). To me, it was well worth the somewhat higher price of the CPO over private party/indy dealer prices. Not sure about third party extended warranties, but presumably you can buy them on the sixes just like any other kind of insurance - just make sure you go over the fine print exclusions very carefully.

I noticed you are in Atlanta - if you're interested, send me a pm and I'll share my thoughts on the Atlanta dealers and who I ended up buying from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.