BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My Dealer keeps saying, "Germany is forcing us to add..."

4K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  Bart001 
#1 ·
I put together a car online at bmw's site, printed it out and took it to my dealer. We agreed on a price and he submitted it to get a purchase order. Then he said "Germany" is saying, "If you want the nav and the ipod, it forces the BMW assist with Bluetooth" even though you can build a car online without it. It wasn't that much, there were a few benefits so I said, ok. NOW, after signing the P.O. he called and said, "Germany won't build the car unless you get Premium Package." Sounds like the biggest scam to me - using Germany as a scape goat and the bad guy - it's for an ED car and he knows I have booked my trip so it sounds and feels like extortion. Has anyone else ever had similar experience?

#2 ·
I've ordered and taken delivery of 4 BMW's over the last 10 years and have never had this problem.

#3 ·
start shopping other dealers, you can get a very quick ED turnaround with the forum sponsors as they have done this hundreds of times.

I'm sure if you tell your dealer you will be doing this he will back down... though at this point I would just go with someone else.

#5 ·
Agreed. Start shopping. And do keep in mind that the PO you "signed" is null and void if they will not build it as signed!

Furthermore, EVERY SHRED of information you give to the other party in a deal can be used against you. Never give anything that indicates your 'commitment'.

A

#4 ·
No, manager of dealer won't order car without premium package so dealer doesn't get stuck with non-premium package car if you don't complete the purchase. A local dealer (Stevens Creek) told me they won't accept special paint orders for the same reason. Recently, I saw a brand new yellow E92 M3 driving around with Stevens Creek stickers, so I know they are full of ****.

#6 ·
Assuming that this has nothing to do with ED, it does seem reasonable that, in this economy, dealers don't want to get stuck with cars that would be hard to sell should the purchaser pull out. In this case I would expect your CA to do what my CA did, ask for a large deposit and explain that it was because my car had a unique combination of options that aren't frequently ordered, so would be hard to sell. I won't say how much of a deposit he asked for but when I demurred we managed to settle on exactly half of that, which seemed reasonable.

Assuming (and I agree, this is an assumption) that the real reason you are being asked to add equipment you don't want is as I described above, I would run, not walk, from your dealer and CA, because they are lying to you. These people don't get more honest as time goes on, you know.

#8 ·
Look at BMW.de. If anything, Germany has far more variation available. The dealer is feeding you BS.

IIRC Stevens Creek has a terrible track record with a few E39 owners. Stay away!

#36 ·
Look at BMW.de. If anything, Germany has far more variation available. The dealer is feeding you BS.
Yes, BMW in Germany offers many more options, but it's my understanding that when a customer "orders" the car it's a binding contract; the customer can't just walk away when the car arrives with no penalty as is typical in the US. The system of letting custom orders be non-binding on the buyer really discourages customizations, I understand.

#9 · (Edited)
Are you getting leather seats? If you aren't, that could be another reason the dealer does not want to order an odd ball car like that. If that's the case then come to an agreement on a non-refundable deposit. btw - when I built a car with Ipod and then Nav the configurator added bluetooth automatically.

If you are getting leather seats then the premium package only adds $450 to what you are already spending. And for that $450 you get lumbar support for both seats (that alone is worth the $450), the garage door opener (if you have a garage this is really nice) and the other little bits.

People who are ready to drop the kind of cash to buy an "is" are going to be a hard sell on a car that has the options you mention, but has leatherette seats and lacks the other premium package features.

#10 ·
I believe that all the people who have said try another dealer or this is BS are incorrect. I think we've seen indications that, perhaps as of March production, this is true. You must get ZPP to get several other options, like premium audio. As to why the configurator has not been updated, dunno...

There have been complaints about these changes on the E90 forum.

#11 · (Edited)
From the E90 Ordering Guide dated 2/17/11

609 will add 6UH Real Time Traffic Information and
620 Voice-command
609 and 639 must be ordered with 6FL
609 and 639 will add 615 Online Information Services
609 and 6FL must be ordered with 639
639 and 609 will add 615 Online Information Services

Where:
609 Navigation system
639 BMW Assist w/Bluetooth System
6FL iPod and USB adapter

#14 ·
Thx for that info, and thx to all posters. I was about 50-50 on whether that was legit.

I want to trust this dealer, but this is the second time somethings come up that's not in my favor. I know he knows I'm locked into my trip so it's hard not to suspect they're looking for ways to get a better deal for themselves, and blaming Germany twice just seems too convenient.

The thing that I keep coming back to is: how would I get a production number from Germany if a week or so later they say they can't build that car that way?

Here's the build:

BWM Assist was added to this later.

Should I believe that the site is inaccurate twice? Seems like they put a lot of effort into it!

#19 ·
That spec sheet is wrong...when did you build that? That sheet shows the old base price...pre price increase. Also, dual crutch is no longer 1,575.00 its 450.00. They can't build what you listed...you are showing them a build before the Mar 1st increase and changes. Go log in to BMWUSA.com now and build the same car and you will see the price difference and option changes
Thx JW - I did the build back on Feb 14th, and I have a signed purchase order based on that build dated March 1st. I have confirmation of production and a production number from Germany (European Delivery Dept) from March 1st - how is THAT possible if they "can't build it without premium?"

My advice to any dealers watching this board.... this would be my second car from this dealer. IF they are worried about carrying a car in their inventory from a deal that went bad that doesn't have X package, well, this is the best way to make a deal go bad. Why didn't he call me to tell me that he had great news? "BMW won't build the car without premium and since we have a signed deal we're going to cover the cost ourselves, so you are getting premium for free." He'd have a sure customer and a definite repeat customer and great word of mouth from a happy customer. There are 2 BMW dealers in my town, you'd think they'd be looking for a customer service edge. That's how I treat my customers: if it's on me, it's on me.

My CA, after telling me the bad news, asked me if I planned on leasing or buying since they would have ways to creatively deal with this issue if it was a lease (I think he said "hide it"). That just sounds like more red flags to me.

At this point, with these signed documents, I feel like this is theirs to eat completely and if they don't I'll rent an Audi and drive the piss out of it while in Europe and never worry about a dent or scratch, and they can go hang. And I'll get to see what an Audi is like.

#28 · (Edited)
. Why didn't he call me to tell me that he had great news? "BMW won't build the car without premium and since we have a signed deal we're going to cover the cost ourselves, so you are getting premium for free."
Because they are running a business and it does not make sense to waste hundreds or thousands of dollars for something that is not their fault. They make little or nothing off small packages like this and would never do this to you if they could avoid it. I've seen many people who told me they were going to be repeat customers and or send friends/family down and try to use this to get better service/pricing. It complete bull most of the time. You'll never hear from them again either way. I'm sure the dealer has a $50 or $100 refferal fee which is paid when you actually come thru with what you say your going to do. Send your friends down to get the extra discount you want.

My CA, after telling me the bad news, asked me if I planned on leasing or buying since they would have ways to creatively deal with this issue if it was a lease (I think he said "hide it"). That just sounds like more red flags to me.
Again, you assume the worst without thinking about it. When you lease a car, packages like this add to the residual value almost as much as they cost. This would make the lease payment go up very little and "hide" the cost. Thats what he meant.

#12 · (Edited)
I put together a car online at bmw's site, printed it out and took it to my dealer. We agreed on a price and he submitted it to get a purchase order. Then he said "Germany" is saying, "If you want the nav and the ipod, it forces the BMW assist with Bluetooth" even though you can build a car online without it. It wasn't that much, there were a few benefits so I said, ok. NOW, after signing the P.O. he called and said, "Germany won't build the car unless you get Premium Package." Sounds like the biggest scam to me - using Germany as a scape goat and the bad guy - it's for an ED car and he knows I have booked my trip so it sounds and feels like extortion. Has anyone else ever had similar experience?
Disregard posts 3 and 5 ... for now...

Looks like you are trying to build a 335is...No, you can not add navi and IPod adapter without adding Bluetooth...and when you build the car on bmwusa.com it will automatically check the bluetooth box and show up on your cost sheet details ...so not sure what you actually build and saw? Maybe, re build on bmwusa again?

#16 · (Edited)
What is your age? As I mentioned before, no matter what the dealer is saying, I would get the premium package just for the lumbar support. However, it certainly does not look like there is any valid reason for it to be forced. In that regard I think your dealer is not telling the truth.

Again, if it were me, I would also get Comfort Access. This is an option you will quickly come to love.

btw - Bluetooth is kind of like Comfort Access....except I think it's a little better....you will quickly come to love it. And BMW Assist can be very valuable. BMW worked with a university in Florida to create an algorithm that takes all the data from the various crash related sensors in the car and then analyzes it to determine the likelihood of injuries and then, if injury is indicated, it also makes a prediction as to what are the most likely injuries. The BMW Assist center then passes that information along to emergency personnel. So, when they arrive they know more than just that you have had an crash, but they have an idea of what to expect.

#17 ·
What the dealer said is udder nonsense. The whole point of ordering is so you can have the car exactly the way you want it. You don't have to order the premium package. Though it's true some options are only available in a package but you are never forced to buy a package and "Germany" dont care one way or another. I bet you the dealer would use the Germany excuse even if you are ordering an X5! (built in USA)

#21 · (Edited)
Looks like you did want HK sound in your car...so I can tell you exactly what happened.

1. You walked into the dealer with an outdated build sheet
2. He/she priced out the car for you as they saw it not realizing it can no longer be build that way because the full changes did not go into effect till March 1st
3. Dealer submits the order to ED (btw, ED is in NJ not in Munich)
4. ED kicks the specs out and rebuilds the car based on the new post Mar 1st guidelines
5. Dealer contacts you about the changes

As of Mar...if you include HK sound - ZPP is required
...If you include navi and Ipod adapter - BMW assist/bluetooth is required

It does not matter how many more dealers you go to the same requirements will apply

If you do not want ZPP delete HK sound from your order.

All the other posts about the dealer trying to screw you is BS...I think you just happened to catch them at the wrong time just when BMW is phasing out the old and moving on to the new...BUT your CA should still have known that the sheet you showed them can not be build and changes will take place.

#22 ·
Thx Jw - it's always good to see another pov.

The build I did at home and then the CA and I did it together in his office so we were on the same page and seeing the same car. It was submitted to Germany or NJ, whomever where ever hands out production numbers, before March 1st. The build was confirmed, dates for picking up the car in Munich were set and confirmed, and I got my Reservation confirmation on Feb 23rd - all before March 1st. I remember when I last saw the CA on March 1st to sign documents, he even said, "we just had a price increase but don't worry, you have price lock."

I just did another build from the bmw site and I don't see premium being forced with HK. Assist, yes, but not premium. When I did my deal DCT was free as part of an incentive, so that was different also. Maybe I got too good a deal and they're trying to play catch up?

#23 ·
The website is still screwed up...bottom line;

delete HK sound ...no ZPP is required

BMW AG makes the final decision on production...your production got revised based on the changes BMW AG phased in on Mar 1st...your options are cancel, delete HK sound, or as is... Good luck

#24 ·
These are the dependency notes on the 335is 2/17/11 Ordering Guide (is there a later one?)
and I see nothing about HK Sound requiring Premium Package, "no 688 must be ordered with ZPP".

Notes
2TC will add 7XA M Sports leather steering wheel with
paddle shifters
5AC must be ordered with ZPP
609 will add 6UH Real Time Traffic Information and
620 Voice-command
609 and 639 must be ordered with 6FL
609 and 639 will add 615 Online Information Services
609 and 6FL must be ordered with 639
639 and 609 will add 615 Online Information Services
6NR must be ordered with 6FL and 609
6NR must be ordered with ZPP or 639
6NR will add 6NF Smartphone Integration
ZCW and not ZM2 will add 248 Heated Steering Wheel

#29 ·
@ard - I'm understanding that about their website!

@erregend - thanks for that info - where did you come across that?

@JW - I would think that this sort of timing issue has to happen all the time, new prices and seasonal deals, option rates, etc., with people ordering just before some change over - they can't seriously say, "you're SOL, sorry, you were too close to the date, doesn't matter what side or what you have signed." Calling my CA today - he's suppose to have some solution for me. I'm not real optimistic. I wish there was some way to verify what he's saying and erregend's info seems to contradict that possibility.

#34 ·
I did a practice build to see how it could/couldn't be done. If your CA adds BMW Assist w/Bluetooth first, it doesn't trigger the automatic addition of the Premium Package. If, however, your CA adds Navigation or HK first, it does indeed trigger the automatic inclusion of the Premium Package. Below is a copy/paste of the build:

Model 1184 335is Convertible USD 59,650.00
Color A52 Space Gray Metallic 550.00
Upholstery LCD1 Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather 0.00
Options 2TC 7-Speed double clutch Transmission 450.00
494 Heated front seats 500.00
609 Navigation system 2,100.00
615 Online Information Services 0.00
620 Voice-command 0.00
639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth 750.00
688 Harman Kardon surround sound system 875.00
6AA BMW TeleServices 0.00
6AB TeleService Control 0.00
6FL iPod and USB adapter 400.00
6UH Real Time Traffic Information 0.00
6VC Combox controller 0.00
7XA M Sports leather steering wheel wit... 0.00
Net Total 65,275.00

#35 · (Edited)
Update from my CA: "Germany says they will build it without Premium, so just the way we put it together, your original deal is still in place." I'm glad - I'd have been happy driving someone else's Audi through Europe, but I'd rather drive my own BMW. Regardless, the experience has made me a bit cautious - I'm going to be watching the numbers on signing day - maybe I'll be back to post them...

Thanks again for everyone's input. It seemed a pretty close split between "find another dealer" and "wait to get more info/don't jump to conclusions."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.