BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Audi Q7 TDI vs X5 35d Noise level

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  OldTimerBMW 
#1 · (Edited)
Any one noticed the engine Noise level between a Q7 TDI and X5 35d?

I listened both side by side, amazingly an untrained ear can not tell Audi has a diesel engine. (both inside and outside of the car)

The big Question is.....

Does anyone know , why BMW diesel runs much loder?

#5 ·
Someone on here awhile back posted up a link explaining what BMW went through when considering what the engines should sound like. Audi probably is just trying to make something quiet because they figure their buyers like that. I do not mind the sound at all, do wish though the exhaust had some sound to it.

#7 ·
I think , i would like to prevent the misunderstanding... Sorry, if i was not specific enough. I have no problem with the engine sound when you floor the gas pedal around 2k RPM and have that performance engine noise.

My thing is with the clatter sound of diesel when it idles, when you try to first launch and accelerate before 2k rpm. As soon as you pass the 2k rpm things are perfectly fine and reasonable.

I test drove the Q7 TDI after the BMW purchase and i was just amazed. Like i said earlier , an untrained ear can not tell if Audi is a diesel when it idles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.