BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

new to coding

2K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  jjrandorin 
#1 ·
Hello there,
I have never coded before and i was wondering if it is hard to do. im very good with computers as i work in the computer department of a company. do i need to purchase anything to code? what can i code. i have a mac laptop. can i code anything?
can i code the mirrors to fold everytime i lock and when i unlock the car they will unfold?
is there a beneift of coding? will the code be wiped out after the first service i give for my 2013 328i xdrive. :)

#4 ·
How does the auto fold unfold work. Is it smooth? The car is brand new so service won't be for another 11,000 miles. But when it does happen, how do I make sure that it won't get wiped out? Is there a way of backing up my coded settings?
How much money would you say I need to spend on tools to code my car?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#8 ·
Do you know of any US dealers that sell a full ENET cable (Not a cable that I would have to build). As far as the token, would you please explain what that is?

You don't have to build it, there is places to buy it... This is not authorized by BMW, so obviously they wouldn't sell you the cable to do it.

From China: cheaper but longer shipping time; http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=20

In the US from April1 the user from this forum I believe makes them still and ships them out.

The token is required for you to authenticate against the server to perform coding, it's 65$ and you contact andy@w19.org for it.

#9 ·
To the OP: I recommend you read through the thread the Kromix linked to, and also the coding form here. Read the entire thread and you will get most of the answers you seek. I have not coded anything myself (I actually just ordered the cable yesterday from April1), but thought I would give it a try.

As for preventing the dealer from wiping it out, you cant. If the car goes in for service and they update some software, it may or may not wipe out your settings. In that case, you will need to re code them. You also have the option of finding a coder you can pay to do it for you, should you desire.

#15 · (Edited)
So in order to code I need the E-sys program, and pin, a token, and the ENET cable. What is the pin. Where can i find the e-sys program And how do it up

Please read the thread that Kromix linked to. your answers are in there.

There is also an entire forum here on bimmerfest devoted to coding :http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175

There is a sticky post there which answers the questions you are posting.

#16 ·
Alright. I installed everything. I backed up my CAFD files to a safe location. Now I want to start coding. I know which parts I want to configure and I have the coding sheets, but where do I find that specific part. For example,
"Fembody. 3063. MAPPING_SIDEMARKER_L_OUTPUT"

Where do I find that in all of the ECUs??

#17 ·
Alright. I installed everything. I backed up my CAFD files to a safe location. Now I want to start coding. I know which parts I want to configure and I have the coding sheets, but where do I find that specific part. For example,
"Fembody. 3063. MAPPING_SIDEMARKER_L_OUTPUT"

Where do I find that in all of the ECUs??

When you backed up your CAFD files, the names should have been there on the left hand side (FEMBODY, HU_CIC, etc)

This post should probably be moved to the coding forum here on bimmerfest, as you will get more eyeballs who are into that there, than here.

It also has some really great info on it. I just started myself and was able to get some things changed on my car with the information and help from the coding forum here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.