BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Shifter will not engage - Drivetrain malfunction

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  TXSTYLE 
#1 ·
2009 750Li 66,000 miles

While driving, the drive train malfunction light appeared and stayed on. The iDrive warning indicator advised do not stop, seek roadside assistance. We drove home and stopped the car. The shifter would not indicate park. We turned the car off with it still in Drive, it would not shift to park or reverse. Tried switching modes (sport) and it was not allowed. The shifter is still showing Drive position, but appears to be in neutral as there is no forward motion when foot is taken off brake. The car will start, but will not move. The drive train malfunction light is still on. We let the car rest for about an hour and tried restarting hoping the message would be gone. Nothing changed, still shows Drive and message is still showing.

Has anyone out there experienced this problem? The engine is mechanically sound and there is no noise or odor indicated. Our nearest BMW dealer is over 400 miles away, please help!

#2 ·
So while in Drive, the engine will rev but not move? You probably lost some transmission fluid. Any spots under the car? When my engine was repaired once, some connector was not put back tight and I lost about a liter of tranny fluid. This caused the the car to not move while in Drive. I had it towed to the dealer and had it fixed. I hope you still have warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.