BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

$4,500 X5d tax credit

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Digitally 
#1 ·
Is this $4,500 tax credit the same as the $4,500 trunk money? Bimmerfile made it known that BMW will be giving a $4,500 tax credit towards the purchase of a X5d. I can't imagine that this would be in addition to the $4,500 trunk money. Anybody know?

#4 · (Edited)
Be warned though, that the program only is good for:

-A new car (2008, 2009, 2010)
-The MSRP of the new car can not exceed $45,000 (this excludes the X5d then seeing it's base MSRP is $51k)
-Car must be purchased between July 1, 2009 and November 1, 2009
-Motorcycles do not qualify
-Clunker must be drivable
-You must have the title to present to the dealer (no lien)
-You must have the clunker continually registered and insured for at least a year
-The clunker can not exceed 25 years old
-Person who owns the clunker must be the same one who purchases the new car
-The average ( (city + hwy)/2) EPA mpg from fueleconomy.gov must be used
-Clunker must get (average) less than 18mpg
-New car must be at least a 4mpg (average) improvement
-Oil must be drained, and Sodium Sillicate poured in instead, and then run the engine on the clunker after exchanged
-Only a certain budget for the whole program is allowed; so if you take in a clunker near the end of the allowance date, but the budget is exhausted, you are stuck with a roasted car with glass in the engine instead of oil.
-Money is in the form of a rebate to the dealer, though for the consumer it is used as a down payment. Be careful dealers....

Correct me if I missed anything.

#7 ·
The $4500 is incentive money from BMW, not a credit from the Treasury, so these rules are not applicable. However, the BMW diesels do qualify for a different "green car" tax credit - $900 for the 335d and $1800 for the X5d.

#5 ·
:rofl:

Amazing thread -- we've got manufacturer to customer rebates, manufacturer to dealer incentives, diesel incentives and the clunker program all wrapped up in a ball of string on this one...

Probably should start over. :bigpimp:

#8 ·
From cars.com

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/07/bmw-puts-4500-behind-diesel-models.html

BMW Puts $4,500 Behind Diesel Models

"It***8217;s not likely that many folks would shop at a BMW dealership looking to cash in on the Cash for Clunkers program, which is why the company has launched a new incentive to promote its two fuel-efficient diesel models. A $4,500 ***8220;eco-credit***8221; will go toward the purchase of either a new BMW 335d or an X5 xDrive35d, on top of current financing offers, and with no trade-in required.

A 335d starts at $43,900, so according to the government program***8217;s rules, it could qualify for either $3,500 or $4,500 in federal funds when exchanged for a clunker, no matter how many options it was loaded up with. The 335d is also eligible for a $900 tax credit. The 335d gets combined mileage of 27 mpg, versus a gas 335i***8217;s 20 mpg, while still delivering a thrilling driving experience. We found a few modestly equipped 335d models in Cars.com***8217;s inventory for $45,225. Add all the above incentives, and those would end up costing $35,325. Read our full review of the 335d here.

The X5 starts at $51,200 and thus would not be eligible for the government incentive (program rules say any vehicle with an MSRP over $45,000 can***8217;t be bought using Cash for Clunkers), but with BMW***8217;s eco-credit it would cost less than a base X5 xDrive30i. The diesel incentive offer runs through August."

#9 ·
From cars.com

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/07/bmw-puts-4500-behind-diesel-models.html

BMW Puts $4,500 Behind Diesel Models

"It's not likely that many folks would shop at a BMW dealership looking to cash in on the Cash for Clunkers program, which is why the company has launched a new incentive to promote its two fuel-efficient diesel models. A $4,500 "eco-credit" will go toward the purchase of either a new BMW 335d or an X5 xDrive35d, on top of current financing offers, and with no trade-in required.

A 335d starts at $43,900, so according to the government program's rules, it could qualify for either $3,500 or $4,500 in federal funds when exchanged for a clunker, no matter how many options it was loaded up with. The 335d is also eligible for a $900 tax credit. The 335d gets combined mileage of 27 mpg, versus a gas 335i's 20 mpg, while still delivering a thrilling driving experience. We found a few modestly equipped 335d models in Cars.com's inventory for $45,225. Add all the above incentives, and those would end up costing $35,325. Read our full review of the 335d here.

The X5 starts at $51,200 and thus would not be eligible for the government incentive (program rules say any vehicle with an MSRP over $45,000 can't be bought using Cash for Clunkers), but with BMW's eco-credit it would cost less than a base X5 xDrive30i. The diesel incentive offer runs through August."
That's interesting, the way I read cash for clunkers the $45K cap contemplates the MSRP of the purchased car, not the base price without options. Anyone here who has researched this specifically?

Too bad I don't have a fuel-guzzling beater to trade in on a 335d, that car would be an amazing buy for someone in a situation where they could take advantage of the BMW incentive $ and the CforC money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.