BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Additional 2011 X5 Info

11K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  arjuno 
#1 · (Edited)
For the 2011 model year which begins production in April, the X5 xDrive30i will be replaced with the X5 xDrive35i powered by the TwinPower Turbo N55 engine with Valvetronic. The new inline 6-cylinder engine produces 300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque which represents a generous 40 hp and 75 lb-ft of torque increase versus the outgoing engine. This means the 0-60 mph for the new I-6 will now be as fast as the outgoing V-8 at 6.4 seconds!

Also, for the 2011 model year, the X5 xDrive48i will be replaced with the X5 xDrive50i equipped with the 4.4L TwinPower Turbo V-8 N63 engine from the X6 xDrive50i, producing 400 hp and 450 lb-ft of torque. This engine has 50 more horsepower and 100 lb-ft of torque than the previous 4.8L V-8 resulting in a whopping 1.1 second faster 0-60 mph time of 5.3 seconds!

Both X5 models as well as the 2011 X6 xDrive 35i/50i models will receive an all-new 8-speed automatic transmission and have Brake Energy Regeneration as a standard feature.

For the X5 xDrive 35i, there will be 3 different trim lines available (prices include destination):

35i $46,675
35i Premium $52,475
35i Sport Activity $54,975

With respect to the 35i (base), it will now have a base MSRP of only $46,675 (including destination) which is LOWER than the 2010 model! There will be less standard equipment in order to accomplish this of course (no moonroof/no power steering column--not sure as of now what else?) but, it sounds like a great cost compromise for those that were stretching to get into an X5 for the vehicle and not for luxurious optional equipment.

The exterior changes to the 2011 X5 are:

The side air intakes have been enlarged for improved cooling and the side panel has been modified
The black trim at the bottom edge of the body is reduced
The reshaped rear bumper has more body color trim leading to the tailpipe surrounds
The taillights have been redesigned to an L-shape and now have LED lights
The foglights have been moved inwards making the vehicle appear lower to the ground
There are new wheel designs as well as new exterior colors such as Platinum Gray, Deep Sea Blue, Sparkling Bronze and interior colors such as Oyster and Cinnamon Brown Nevada Leather

Exciting times in BMW X-Land!

See less See more
#2 ·
I am a bit confused with these 3 different trim levels. If I get a stripped version, there is no way of adding premium package or tech pkg? The press release says there is only convenience pkg available for base model. I don't need a moon roof or 19'' wheels but am interested in getting tech/prem pkgs. In addition there is no mention of power lift gate. Is this removed from MY2011?

#12 · (Edited)
Technology package is not available for the standard X5 35i. The Convenience Package sort of replaces the Premium package for the X5 35i line in 2011.

The standard X5 35i's Convenience Package:

Panoramic Moonroof
Auto-Dimming Mirrors
Wood Trim
Ambiance Lighting
BMW Assist W/ Bluetooth

Differs vs. the Premium & Sport Activity Conv Pkg:

Power Tailgate
Universal Garage Door Opener
Rear Manual Side Window Shades
Auto-Dimming Mirrors
Lumbar Support
Digital Compass Mirror
4-Zone Climate Control
Ambiance Lighting
BMW Assist W/ Bluetooth

So, no you can't get a power tailgate on the standard X5 35i. You can get Navigation as an option provided you get the Conv Pkg or BMW Assist (stand alone).

#3 ·
We'll have to see, but they may be taking a page out of Ford and other manufacturers' book. Ford once had a stripped-down Focus to get the frugal buyers, but to avoid pulling sales from more expensive versions they would not let you get air conditioning, power windows, and other options on the cheapo stripped version. BMW may be trying an upscale version of this to get the price-sensitive buyers.

Actually, I probably use a sunroof once a year on average, so I wish the sunroof was an option on the 2010 model -- there are other options I would prefer the spend the money/cost on.

#14 ·
Because they lowered the new base/standard model's price by almost $2K, I think it makes sense. As you said, some people just don't care about the moonroof.

#4 ·
The pricing and option packages are really confusing. The old Sport Package with adaptive drive was eliminated in 2010, with the creation of the appearance package and separate adaptive drive options. In order to get the old Premium Package, Sport Package (with sport suspension), Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, and rear climate package, the cost must be through the roof! I think the 2007-2009s represent a great value proposition if you find one with all the packaged options. They lowered the price for MY2011 only if you want a stripped down model. Otherwise you are forced to pay a lot more it seems.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm going to have to estimate the price of a 2011 Sport Activity model with Adaptive Drive as a option vs. a 2010 Sport Package for a price comparison. I'll do that before week's end.

#5 · (Edited)
It was my understanding that the 2011 X5 would not be getting the twin turbo petrol six but the new single turbo petrol six, which is not as good per the automotive elite.

Edit: from Car and Driver online...

Far bigger news is the installation of BMW***8217;s twin-scroll, single-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six in the new xDrive35i (which replaces last year***8217;s entry-level xDrive30i) and stellar twin-turbo 4.4-liter V-8 in the new xDrive50i (which replaces the xDrive48i). Each engine pairs with BMW***8217;s excellent new eight-speed automatic. The xDrive35i brings the base model***8217;s power and torque up to a nice, even 300 hp and 300 lb-ft (up from 260 hp and 225 lb-ft), while lobbing about a second and a half off the 0-to-60-mph sprint, which BMW estimates will take about 6.4 seconds for the 2011 model.

#16 ·
It was my understanding that the 2011 X5 would not be getting the twin turbo petrol six but the new single turbo petrol six, which is not as good per the automotive elite.

Edit: from Car and Driver online...

Far bigger news is the installation of BMW's twin-scroll, single-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six in the new xDrive35i (which replaces last year's entry-level xDrive30i) and stellar twin-turbo 4.4-liter V-8 in the new xDrive50i (which replaces the xDrive48i). Each engine pairs with BMW's excellent new eight-speed automatic. The xDrive35i brings the base model's power and torque up to a nice, even 300 hp and 300 lb-ft (up from 260 hp and 225 lb-ft), while lobbing about a second and a half off the 0-to-60-mph sprint, which BMW estimates will take about 6.4 seconds for the 2011 model.
Weather the N54 or the N55 engine is better is one thing for the X5 (and not answerable at this time without a test drive). Having the N55 engine is definitely better than having the outgoing 3.0si powerplant by far (and without me needing to take a test drive it either).

#8 ·
This new 3 trim levels make a ordering very confusing as well as disappointing. Now I can't even order the 3rd row with the base model. It seems to me that if you get the base, you will not even able to option as freely as you can with upper trim levels. The ordering system is getting like Audi or Toyota that you need to get the highest trim levels to get options you like.

#11 ·
I Love the 2010, Not the 2011

Boy I am glad I got my 2010 and did not wait for the rumored 2011. First of all, I dread the design change. Why couldn't BMW leave a great look alone? Maybe some like it, but I bought an X5 because I liked the look, not because I wanted it to look more like some other car. Second, I'm an option guy and it looks like the price with options will be very expensive. I did get the third row in the 2010, which will now only be available in the most expensive version. Also, I love the large sunroof and is one of the big reasons I bought an X5 over an Escalade or MDX. Now you have to pay extra for what was once standard. Third, I loved getting the $2,500 Holiday Credit, which is now over. Finally, who wants to wait until summer for a new X5? (which is when it will be ready as delays are expected, just as with the 2010s). That's about the time when I roll out my Z4 out of the garage!!!

#22 ·
Well... I gave you the Convenience Package Content of all 3 models.

The rest in a nutshell:

Premium has:

Active Vent Seat Package
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Technology Package

and most stand alone options are as before.

Sport Activity has:

Active Vent Seat Package
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
M Sport Package (includes adaptive drive)
Technology Package

and most stand alone options are as before. Notably different is adaptive drive is optional (as the sport activity trim vehicle is a sport package car).

#17 ·
Ivan I thought the pricing was not out yet...and was blocked on the ordering website.....I am trying to figure out what the packages for the 5.0 look like ....any help?/ even with just what packages are coming for the 5.0 and what they contain....even MSRP pricing would help for now....

#20 ·
No 8-Speed auto for the diesel in 2011 but, as others have said you don't need it having the HUGE torque powerband that the 35d has.

#21 · (Edited)
With respect to the 3rd row seat, you could never just order a 3rd row seat. You at the very least had to order leather seating surfaces first.

You can get a 3rd row seat with the Premium and Sport Activity 35i models. It is only unavailable with the standard model.

Who do you X5 3rd row seat users put back there anyway? ;)

#25 ·
No problem, I have all the optional equipment info and know that most option/package prices are the same as 2010. I like to wait until I see a BMW NA bulletin to us before I call the price confirmed (not that I've seen the prices change mind you).

#26 ·
2011 x5 diesel - active steering option?

hi,

we had a 2008 x5 4.8 with active steering and want to order the new 2011 as a diesel. the 2010 did not offer it, and i'm wondering if anybody can confirm availability of this 'don't live without - feature' for the new model year.
the us manufactured car for germany offered it already in 2010. some odd bmwna politics again...

thank you,

holschu

#43 ·
hi,

we had a 2008 x5 4.8 with active steering and want to order the new 2011 as a diesel. the 2010 did not offer it, and i'm wondering if anybody can confirm availability of this 'don't live without - feature' for the new model year.
the us manufactured car for germany offered it already in 2010. some odd bmwna politics again...

thank you,

holschu
What makes this a "don't live without" option? Tying to decide if worth ordering. Thanks

#30 ·
For reference:

2011 X5 35i
Convenience Package
Cold Weather Package
Technology Package
Running Boards
Satellite Radio
$59,875 MSRP (19" wheels and 35i engine) vs $57,575 for a comparable 2010 (18" wheels and 3.0si engine)

4% price increase for a 15%+ power increase isn't bad.

-----

2011 X5 50i
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Premium Sound Package
Rear Climate Package
Technology Package
Comfort Access
Running Boards
$69,575 MSRP vs $67,775 for a comparable 2010 4.8i

2.7% price increase for an 11%+ power increase isn't bad either.

#35 ·
any news on new safety features with the '11 x5? my wife is particularly impressed with volvo's city safety accident avoidance system. i can't seem to find anything similar with the new x5.

:dunno:

#41 ·
I haven't seen any invoice pricing yet out there, but if you look at some old invoice price lists from 2009 and 2010 they will tell you that the mark-up on pretty much all options is around 10%. That should give you an idea on the 2011 invoice pricing, i.e. multiply retail pricing by 0.9....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.