BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X1 Pre-Order Cold Feet – too many questions – #1) too small?

15K views 58 replies 20 participants last post by  the_fox 
#1 ·
Stupid sales manager. He could have made a quick keen profit on a fully-loaded and most-highly-incentivized-options N20 X1 in less than 60 seconds of 'paperwork' and have locked me in to ED. I was excited, and was ready to pull the ED pre-order trigger. Instead he played the 'hot car' ED-at-almost-US-MSRP price gouging route. And now I had time to think.

There are too many open questions without seeing and driving this car. This "dose of reality" feeling was further driven home by this picture a few posts back:

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab286/Robotechnology/BMW PCD/ItalyandPCD316.jpg

Holy crap - the alcohol has worn off and suddenly the person at the bar doesn't look so hot anymore. Here from this realistic person-height photo, it looks just like a lowly and low station wagon - not an SUV at all.

It looks just like an unsexy staid Audi A3!! Yikes! How did that happen? A four door euro-sized station wagon that your Italian grandpa drives.

I _thought_ I had done my homework. I have a HUGE gallery of every X1 picture and video that exists. But only just now, I noticed how all of the BMW promo pics - ALL - show the car from a low below-human-height camera angle. This makes the car look much bigger and grander and SUV-like than it perhaps really is. Are all those people standing around it (including the photographer's angle) really equally that tall, or is the car just really that short? It's much more station wagon looking than SUV looking. What will it look like in real life, as you are looking down upon it (like a station wagon) in the parking lot surrounded by Escalades??

I also now notice how the BMW video commercials often do a clever little fast-forward speed-up move whenever the car is shown from this rear angle to obfuscate it. Not its prettiest side.

I need to see this car in person - and in American settings - before I can gamble on this.

My X1 size questions:
• Will it look Honda-Fit small next to American SUVs in the parking lot?
• Will its bad rear angles look ugly in person?
• Will American-sized men (who traditionally don't sit with their legs squeezed tightly together like many in Europe) feel cramped in the very narrow leg cockpit (to make room for large cupholders on the middle deck)?
• In many pictures, the stock xline X1 looks bigger and sportier and higher with its new 2013 styling highlights than the M-Sport with its pre-2013 uniform unicolor aero package. Will the stock X1 counter-intuitively look better than the M-Sport will in real life?
• Is it small enough where it will drive like a fun fast GTI pocket rocket, or sit high enough that you feel closer to a sluggish tippy SUV like the Q5?
• Will it feel like a cheapest-end kids-first-car GTI, or look like an aging A3 station wagon, or look closer to the prior-generation sporty-but-still-serious looking X3?

The jury is still out. I need to see and drive it in person.

I don't think it is as much of a sure thing that this car will be the run-away hit in the US that this one dealer thinks it will. I bet many in the US will find it:
• Too VW small
• Too small for taking rear seat adult passengers or more than two kids, never mind the multiple dogs
• Too low to see over traffic
• Too low for nosy looks into other cars
• Too low for real off-road
• The stiff rear hatch too difficult to close for many housewives or older folks
• Rear cargo area height will be too low for those who don't want to bend down that much when putting groceries or heavy objects in back
• "It's only a ONE series - the lowest and cheapest BMW" stigma will prevent it being bought for any status symbol.
• VW TDI will beat it for those concerned with good mileage but who still want some driving fun (vs Prius) - better mileage at much lesser cost (esp. if X1 looks VW small and looks of-the-VW-category).

I guess I'll only know when I see it and drive it in person… this sales manager missed the quick easy ED pre-order sale… but better for me that he did.

Too many questions, too much risk, for the blind faith that it took (never mind the galling price gouging).

I have a feeling that I could either love it or hate it in person, and that a half a centimeter here or there could visually sway it either way.

What pictures convinced you that the X1 looks more like a sporty-active SUV than a staid old-school station wagon?

See less See more
#2 ·
We saw dozens of X1s in the GWN last summer...Vancouver area, Alberta, & Ontario. While I had my Canon 40D in my lap for 2 months for road shots, I neglected to shoot any of the X1s. Strictly from fading memory and imo, they look 'OK' in the flesh. You are accurate however, in your assessment of them being 'wagonish' looking and sort of like a slightly lifted 3 series wagon, and more squat/boxy, and less elegantly designed than the X3 or X5.

Not ugly, just not quite as groovy looking as the promo pics, if that translates...

For at least the few dozen here that seem to be salivating for one, BMWNA has done their job in making these things scare, and slightly hyped.

It was on our short list when announced 2+ years ago, but the dearth of product for the US mkt forced our hand in replacing the CEO's pos Honda CR-V with a loaded Hyundai Tucson, for considerably less dough; and she likes it. The X1 may still come up on our car list Juke Box if/when our '01 X5 goes off to Valhalla. But, very disappointed in no 6 spd manual, and a diesel off on the far distant horizon for the US mkt.

Very cogent points/questions on your part; I would think a CDA or Euro owner could give their opins.
GL, mD

#3 ·
You are accurate however, in your assessment of them being 'wagonish' looking and sort of like a slightly lifted 3 series wagon, and more squat/boxy, and less elegantly designed than the X3 or X5.
The X1 looks like a slightly lifted 3 series wagon because it is a slightly lifted 3 series wagon (an E91). Its definitely less elegant than the new 3 series wagon (F31) but I don't think it looks any less elegant that the X3 or X5 (I have an X5).

The X1 has a few advantages over the new 3 series wagon though;

1) It's much cheaper.
2) You can get it with a six cylinder engine.
3) The steering feel doesn't suck.

#4 ·
I heard X1 ED will come out of dealer allocation, so you're not going to get the typical awesome deal.

The X1 isn't too small for me, but everyone is different. The thing I worry about is if I'll be happy with Nevada leather. My X5 has nappa, and it is awesome.

#5 · (Edited)
I asked several times, several people, several ways... this same dealer confirmed that X1 ED does not come out of their dealer allocation and that ED never does. He just wants the MSRP profit since he views it as "you're getting a hot car - why should you pay any less than casual people paying MSRP here on the lot". This might be first gambit puffery, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. And it cost him an immediate turns-out-premature-for-me sale.

If it's going to look like an Audi A3 wagon, I might be forced to re-evaluate the A3 - where I'd get the superior mileage and torque and chipped turbo-kick of TDI diesel, along with the driving enthusiast fun of a real manual transmission.

This car seems to look totally different based on the angle of the shot. Here is another pic I used that tries to narrow down on its size and how it will look in parking lots:

http://www.xbimmers.com/goodiesforyou/P90052189.jpg

#6 ·
I'm sorry but this is just wrong. The 1M Coupe is a great example.

You mean the Z4 M Coupe or the 1 Series M. I think you mean the 1 Series M. If so, yes, they had to originate from dealer allocation.

#7 · (Edited)
Wagonish

Teleskier,

I had all the concerns you had before placing my order for an Xline for my wife. My ED pick up is early October and I can tell you from experience that X1 will come out of your dealer's allocation. Period! don't argue and just accept it as an iron clad fact. That doesn't mean you can't negotiate a little though. I got mine for $500 above ED invoice but that's because the dealer thought my ED order wasn't gonna come out of their allocation. I have an e-mail from BMWNA ED dept (Larissa) sent to my Rep regarding this fact. My dealer was gracious enough to proceed with my order knowing that they could of made more profit with their allocation.

Regarding the wagonish look of the X1, I was a little concerned as well. To minimize this, you can order Sapphire M-pack X1 to best conceal this wagon effect. The black rail + black rocker panel will add heft to the car. My X1 will have silver rocker that will make the car flatter like a wagon, but it was a compromise because my wife likes Terra leather. M-pack has no Jet black or Terra leather available.

I took a gamble without having seen an X1 in person, ever. I too think that the worst the car can look would be like an A3, in which I kind of like anyways.

Good luck with your soul search. Perhaps it would be wise for your to wait a couple of months before you place your order.:thumbup:

#8 ·
Agreed! You do have lots of good questions, so it probably better serves you to wait a few months to see and test drive the X1 before buying.

The A3 is great with respect of the TDI being available, but remember that it does NOT come with all-wheel-drive, which is what you wanted.

The X1 xDrive35i does come with a V6 Twin-scroll turbo engine, but it's mated to an electric power steering instead of a hydraulic power steering in the sDrive28i and xDrive28i.

#9 ·
Agreed! You do have lots of good questions, so it probably better serves you to wait a few months to see and test drive the X1 before buying.

The A3 is great with respect of the TDI being available, but remember that it does NOT come with all-wheel-drive, which is what you wanted.

The X1 xDrive35i does come with a V6 Twin-scroll turbo engine, but it's mated to an electric power steering instead of a hydraulic power steering in the sDrive28i and xDrive28i.
Yea, gotta love those BMW V6s....

: popcorn:

#11 ·

The 35 is an inline 6 not a V6. Also where has it been stated that it has electric power steering instead of hydraulic and what was the reason given for this change. It seems very unlikely to be. No other E chassis has electric power steering.

The A3 is basically an expensive VW Golf. Why not just get the Golf.

#13 ·
I understand the Audi -> VW relationship, but I'm not sure anyone could seriously claim the X1 is an expensive A3.

#15 ·
It depends upon what angle the picture is taken from... the one above that caused me panic shows the X1 looking EXACTLY like an A3 from the rear angle (like a small wagon). I don't think the A3 and X1 are so far apart - very much in the same league - especially in that panic picture above.

The other picture I'd be curious to see is the X1 next to a Suburu Forester - to gauge its size and how much like a AWD station wagon it looks like. X1 is likely smaller than the Suburu?

#28 ·
Singing: "One of these things is not like the others..."

OK, clearly I wanted to believe so badly, that I made up data to fit what I wanted things to be versus what they actually are (sort of like religion).

When I first saw this photo a while ago, before I saw many X1 photos... I convinced myself that the vehicle on the far left was the X1. It had a nice shape, was a nice size, had the tell-tale 2013 silver mid-frame highlight, and the X1 Y-spoke stock wheels.

However when I saw it again just now, I had a sinking feeling that the little bitty A3-like station wagony thing on the far left is the X1? Yes, it might only look that small next to the other cars. Will have to see it in real life.

Can anyone confirm that in the photo is pictured from left to right: the X5, X6, X3, and X1?

#29 · (Edited)
OK, clearly I wanted to believe so badly, that I made up data to fit what I wanted things to be versus what they actually are (sort of like religion).

When I first saw this photo a while ago, before I saw many X1 photos... I convinced myself that the vehicle on the far left was the X1. It had a nice shape, was a nice size, had the tell-tale 2013 silver mid-frame highlight, and the X1 Y-spoke stock wheels.

However when I saw it again just now, I had a sinking feeling that the little bitty A3-like station wagony thing on the far left is the X1? Yes, it might only look that small next to the other cars. Will have to see it in real life.

Can anyone confirm that in the photo is pictured from left to right: the X5, X6, X3, and X1?
You are correct both times, far left is X1; from left to right: X1, X6, X5, X3

#30 ·
Seriously, dude. Get a grip. X1, X6, X5, X3.

#32 · (Edited)
Since cargo capacity was brought up, I made this comparison that might be interesting to potential X1 owners:

cargo capacity w/rear seats up:
X1: 14.8 cu.ft.
E91: 16.2 cu.ft.
A4: 17.3 cu.ft. (B8 Avant)
F31: 17.5 cu.ft.
X3: 27.6 cu.ft. (F25)

cargo capacity w/rear seats folded:
X1: 47.7 cu.ft.
E91: 48.9 cu.ft.
A4: 50.5 cu.ft. (B8 Avant)
F31: 53.0 cu.ft.
X3: 63.3 cu.ft. (F25)

#33 ·
Nice comparo on 'space'...
fwiw, my CEO's Hyundai Tuck has ~26 cubic feet in rear cargo, with rear seats up...
We regularly stuff 4 sets of golf clubs, shoes, and junque in back, and seat 4 adults.

The X1 might hold one set, and a pair of shoes?
Surprised how small that rear space is; the ext pics are deceiving.
GL, mD

#34 ·
I'm an '07 X3 owner and thoroughly enjoy my car, however, like you, I've been eyeing the X1 for years. I especially wanted the diesel stateside, but alas, that's not going to be the case for now.
I just arrived in Frankfurt this week and have an X1d for the next two weeks. I'll try to post my feelings here when I can. So far I really enjoy the vehicle though I haven't been out on the autobahn yet (this weekend). As far as size goes it is definitely shorter in stature than my existing X3, but I don't find it distasteful at all. It is definitely NOT A3 short in visual appearance. That, my friend I can guarantee. I've been to the Audi dealership many times (salivating a bit at the S5) and always found the A3 cute, but just too short (I am 6'2" and the ingress and egress are too much). The X1, however, is a really nice size to get in and out of. Visually, regarding stature, it fits my ideal perfectly. X5's, while a beauty, look like beasts to me. I guess it's my frequent travels to europe that have me convinced that not every good, capacity holding vehicle, has to be the size of a mini-bus. I really do admire the updated X3, but if the U.S. ever gets the diesel X1 I think I will be buying one pronto. BTW, after 2 days of in city navigating I'm average 31.5mpg with the diesel. Can't wait to see what the autobahn delivers.

#36 ·
• The stiff rear hatch too difficult to close for many housewives or older folks
The power liftgate is one of the things I'm most jealous of in the shiny new X3s, the X1s won't have it, or the option?

I, too, would kill for a DIESEL option, X3 or X1. But a small, ultra efficient X1 would especially rock!

#38 · (Edited)
You are in luck. As I pulled into the parking garage last night I located both a 3 wagon and an A3. Parked next to each and took some photos with my phone. The garage (under ground) was dark but hopefully these pics help give you a decent comparo. I don't believe I'm being biased in that I feel the X1, in person, just looks more stout than the other two. Now, I like all three cars, personally, but IMO it's clear the X1 does not look diminutive in the least. Again I'm 6'2", a current X3 owner, and I find the size and ingress/egress ideal. Will post more about my driving experiences over the weekend. BTW my "mix" driving mpg is now 34.5! Gotta love that.

Regarding the X1 to A3 comparo, the X1 just feels like it has more girth.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Luxury vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw x1 Bmw

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Parking Transport

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Parking

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Audi

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

#40 ·
Regarding the X1 to A3 comparo, the X1 just feels like it has more girth.
Thanks for the pics.

Well, the answer is clear... I like whatever car is.... closest to the foreground! :)

Nuts. Is it really so close in size to the A3, so neck in neck? The A3 looks a closer match in size that the 3er wagon in those shots.

I have to work to see what you're saying about girth. Yes, I can see that it's there, but not in the spades I might have thought it was.

My neighbor just traded his MT X5 for an Acura RDX, and is trying to push me in that direction. "If you're going to be forced by BMW to do AT anyway, it might as well be Asian."

Hmm, do I want a give protest vote to BMW or get a car?

#43 ·
Our new X1 28I replaced our 08 X3.
Very similar in size inside. Love the 40-20-40 rear split. A bit smaller outside. A lot more fun to drive. Will not miss the old X3 much.
The X1 is a little smaller than my pals new Venza, if that helps.
The Venza is 6 inches longer and an inch wider then the F25 X3, it dwarfs the X1.

#44 · (Edited)
Teleskier, it is clear to my eyes, side by side, that the X1 looks heftier than the A3. I think an 80 year old with poor eyes could tell you the X1, in physical appearance, is the bigger car.
I drove the X1 for over 13 freeway hours this weekend. I love the way it drives. Solid, quick, just like I'd expect from a BMW. I wasn't with a full load so it's difficult for me to comment on stowage capacity, but it's an ideal size IMO, if you want to be able to move some suitcases, ski bags, mulch bags, or flats of flowers it will serve your purpose. If you are moving trees or very large boxes then it isn't what you are looking for (then again neither is the A3 or 3er wagon).

In very heavy traffic I averaged 33mph with the diesel. When the freeway opened up I was doing 100-110mph, consistently, and topped out at 140mph. The car maintained sure footing throughout (not that you'd ever reach that mph in the states). The X1 will definitely be on my short list next year. I just wish the U.S. was getting the diesel.

Note: unfortunately, in my photos, the A3 and 3er wagon were both black.

#45 ·
Thanks. I have a feeling I will be OK on the size when I see it.

This weekend I was on our Cape Cod beach having cocktails with friends. The topic of our first cars came up. So many were GTI - and these folks all said how much fun the GTI was - and despite all the more expensive cars we had over 2+ decades, that the GTI *still* ranked as the most fun car we'd all had ever driven.

I want FUN driving with this car. Can the N20 deliver? We'll see.

Diesel is coming to the US X1 the year after - will it really come, and will that be fun if it does? Doubt I can wait that long.

#47 ·
more fun than the 28i or 35i? I doubt it, but surely it will be more efficient and if that's what you are after, I'd wait instead of taking the hit on a trade. I'm expecting 40+ MPG on the interstate like the VW.

The diesel that will most likely be fitted to the X1 is the 2.0 which is an older engine rated at 180 hp/280 tq; sufficient power, but not in the same league as the 28i.

#48 · (Edited)
Couldn't have waited. Winter is coming. Just came back from the BMW Test Drive for the Olympics event. Wanted to drive the new 328i and A4 back to back, but they didn't have the A4 there. The 328i with the N20 engine surprised me. It felt very fast, and in sports mode the pedal response was instantaneous and powerful. Very similar to the Sports Chrono option in the Porsches in the Sports Plus mode. The ride was very good, very compliant. I was surprised that the run-flat tires felt so good on this car. There's definitely something new and different about these run-flat tires. The inside is a lot nice than the previous 3 series with lots of soft plastics abound. The digital projection option was very cool, very well implemented. I wish this was a stand-a-lone option on the X1. I would've gotten it in a heart beat. There is an instant mpg indicator, which my 535i xDrive did not have, and with the Eco Pro mode turned on in conjunction with the auto stop/start function, I can see this car getting 40 mpg. The stop/start function seems very well implemented. Very cool!

The only negative thing I observed was the steering feel. It's electric, and very light, which I just couldn't stand. You can turn the wheel with 1 finger. It was a very numbing experience. During my short drive (10 miles or so), the steering wheel vibrated twice. I think it was the lane assist option kicking in, but I was in my lane. I find that sensation to be very annoying, and disturbing both time it kicked in. Also there was an error message projected on to the front wind shield about the side cameras being broken or obstructed. It was working fine before I left the dealership. The more electronics on the car, the more things that can go wrong it seems.

I'm glad my X1 has the hydraulic power steering. Even though I ordered mine with the Servotronic option, it still will be better than the electric power steering in the 328i or the X1 sDrive. I don't know how much my X1 xDrive weights without the 2 sun-roofs and power components and also without the power front seats. I'm thinking that's about 300 lbs in weight savings, so hopefully my X1 is around 3500 lbs. The 328i sDrive is listed at 3320 lbs, and it felt as fast as my 3875 lbs 535i xDrive N54 twin-turbo inline 6 with its N20 twin-scroll turbo - the one in the my X1. Feel free to ask any questions.

#49 ·
To clarify the steering. The X1 sDrive 28i gets EPS, the X1 xDrive 28i and 35i get hydraulic. I was told this was due to space limitations, the EPS rack is very large and there wasn't room for both the rack and the front diff.

The X1 is a blast to drive, the size is perfect and very comfortable. If you're looking for a compact SUV/SAV you cannot go wrong with the X1. Read the full Bimmerfest.com driving review -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635240

Tim

#51 ·
That's called a station wagon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.