BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

550i or 535d

17K views 69 replies 23 participants last post by  sb535 
#1 ·
Do you think from going to the 550i to the 535d will be a mistake? Im looking for better gas mileage and I need torque for quick acceleration. I had a 535 and was disappointed so I hope the 535 with its torque is my answer. An thoughts?

#2 ·
Do you need quick acceleration from a stop or while underway? 535d will feel good in A, but not in B.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
Your best bet is try to test drive it. I test drove the 535d and I currently have the 550i and need better mpg. The 535d felt really good and I know I won't regret changing to it. However that all depends on what your style of driving 80 percent of my driving is traffic lol so it's not like I was taking advantage of having a v8 it's actually kind of annoying driving the 550i in bumper to bumper traffic. I also test drove a 535i and didn't like how it felt it felt weird don't know how to describe it.

#5 ·
I was in the same boat. What I wanted was the 540 (3.0L engine that's in the 640i and 740i) or the real 535d. I drove the 535i and was left wanting a little more. The gas mileage on the 535i wasn't significantly better than the 550i to make it a compelling choice for me. Sure I could easily make it compelling if I was aggressive with the skinny pedal but in most day-to-day driving the two cars would probably result in very similar MPG with a 1-2mph edge going to the 535. However, the US Spec 535d has V8 torque. It's engine is lighter than the V8 and the mileage that I expect to see is about 10mpg better on the diesel. That's significant. I could still be swayed to the 550 since my 535d is sitting at status 112 but I don't think I'll be longing for it when I consider the tradeoffs I would need to make. The sound of the diesel engine is almost annoying from the outside although it's very quiet for a diesel and you can hardly tell it's a diesel from inside the car. However, it actually sounds very nice under hard acceleration. The 550i engine note was almost non-existent.

My driving style is spirited but I also have a 42 mile daily commute that is 70% highway and 30% city and plan on taking the car into the mountains to go skiing about twice a month or more frequently.

#6 ·
I was in the same boat. What I wanted was the 540 (3.0L engine that's in the 640i and 740i) or the real 535d. I drove the 535i and was left wanting a little more. The gas mileage on the 535i wasn't significantly better than the 550i to make it a compelling choice for me. Sure I could easily make it compelling if I was aggressive with the skinny pedal but in most day-to-day driving the two cars would probably result in very similar MPG with a 1-2mph edge going to the 535. However, the US Spec 535d has V8 torque. It's engine is lighter than the V8 and the mileage that I expect to see is about 10mpg better on the diesel. That's significant. I could still be swayed to the 550 since my 535d is sitting at status 112 but I don't think I'll be longing for it when I consider the tradeoffs I would need to make. The sound of the diesel engine is almost annoying from the outside although it's very quiet for a diesel and you can hardly tell it's a diesel from inside the car. However, it actually sounds very nice under hard acceleration. The 550i engine note was almost non-existent.

My driving style is spirited but I also have a 42 mile daily commute that is 70% highway and 30% city and plan on taking the car into the mountains to go skiing about twice a month or more frequently.
I guess depends on the mileage your getting on the 550i but I think I will see a 100 percent improvement in gas mileage with the diesel (im averaging 14.6 mpg on the 550i)

#8 ·
I can't afford either, but if I could it also would be a hard time for me to decide, with my heart saying 550i and my reason 535dx...

#10 · (Edited)
I think driving a 535d is the only way to determine if it is adequate. They are starting to show up at dealerships now. I've experienced a 550xi on the autobahn and the pull from even 120 mph was amazing. I doubt the 535d would be the same at that speed, but would be impressive in it's own right at speeds typically experienced in the US.

You can only know if it is adequate by driving one. Fuel economy improvement over the 550 would be enormous.

#11 ·
OP, I think you need to drive both and then decide. d will "pull more" while i will get there more explosively and dramatically. Both will do the job.

Now ... please bear with me. Yes, I do know F10 weighs over 4,000 pounds with few options and a driver. Trust me, I test drove it. This said, from locations of people posting on this thread I see basically all of you live in U.S. and I truly need the explanation why somebody says 300 hp and 300 lbft is not enough to drive in U.S.

I hope you guys realize that I'm rear-ending in acceleration from a stop people with V8s while driving my old Jetta (105 hp 4-cylinder diesel). I have to pull back otherwise I will hit them - it takes about 400 m (1/4 mile) to 85% of American drivers to get to 60 km/h (40 mph) - regardless of the engine. Interstate is even worse. How in the world can you say 300 of each is not enough?

I almost wanted to reply directly to OP's post saying that throttle has more than 0 or 1 position. There's 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and also 10. Don't want to be an a-hole. Totally confused. :dunno:

#13 ·
This said, from locations of people posting on this thread I see basically all of you live in U.S. and I truly need the explanation why somebody says 300 hp and 300 lbft is not enough to drive in U.S.
It depends on where you live in the US. Some areas have uncrowded roads in fantastic condition. Other areas have crowded roads in terrible condition. It really depends on the state and/or metropolitan area in which you live.

I've had both a 535i and a 550i, and where I live, the 550 gets taken advantage of. Every day there are plenty of opportunities to open it up or to pass with impunity. Once you've had the extra horse and have had ample opportunities to use it, it's hard to go back.

For me, the best feeling about the 550i vs 535i is how effortless the acceleration feels. If you aren't fighting traffic or potholes, it's nice.

#14 ·
The diesel is so new and different for BMWs in the US that you must absolutely test drive one to know for sure. I really want the d but for me, I'm perfectly fine with 6 cylinders pumping away so all that is left to sway me to the d is the Eco Credit that my dealer feels pretty strongly BMW will reinstate. It will then be an easy choice. My wife isn't too happy to give up the (more) convenient gas station that she is used to (Unocal 76...no diesel there) but she'll survive. :)

#19 ·
given the power of the 14 550 (even the older 400hp version) there's nothing in that diesel that's going to compare for off the line launch, or higher speed acceleration with the diesel. torque may help you off the line, but the diesel is not going to be in the same class as the 550. the 443 hp and 479 lb. ft. tq (2000-4500) is going to move this car. it certainly did so on the N62.

however if you want some jump from the light, and gas mileage improvement, the diesel may be an option.

but when you price these cars out, from a extremely well optioned 550xi to a 5xi diesel it's about 5k. it you're leasing this comes out in the wash. but this is your personal preference. most of my driving is around town. the power itself can be annoying. there are times though, that you just love that V8.

make sure you run the numbers on both. neither option out as cheap cars.

#20 · (Edited)
I completely agree nothing will drive like the 550i but again depending on the way you drive you won't notice the difference. I'm not one to floor my car at every green light and traffic here is bad so I never really enjoy the power it has. If you have the money and don't care about gas(14mpg is my average in my driving conditions) go with the 550i if you want to at least save some money both on car price and gas go with the diesel and if you don't like the diesel then get a 535i. Again like I've stated before its all about driver preference. You either get one without driving the others and you will love it and you'll have nothing to compare it to or you test drive all of them and go with the one you like more. I'm sure if I test drove an m5 my 550 would feel like crap lol.

#23 ·
Just got back. Hell of a drive for lunch....but they are very dear friends. Car was brilliant! We had speeds from standing in traffic at the Fussen tunnel for 10 minutes, crawling through construction zones at 60/80 km/h and some sustained driving at 160 km/h. Saw my wife hit 200 km/h for a few brief moments when traffic cleared. I never once felt like I needed more power in any part of the drive. There is still plenty of grunt when going from 130 to 160 and then some. There were plenty of hill (up and down); some of them quite steep.

I reset the consumption computer when we left the house and the car said 13.7 km/L when we got home = 32.22 MPG!!!!:D.

Considering the speeds and traffic conditions I think that is outstanding. We had the A/C on the whole time and did not use the start stop thing at all (it annoys my wife).

If you kept your speed to 130 km/h I really think you could see 40 mpg. But its the autobahn! You can't help yourself.

Heads up navigation with speed limit info is worth every penny here. You do not want to miss the sign that goes from unlimited to 120 and get a ticket when you are hauling ass. $$$$$ or your license.

#36 ·
Just got back. Hell of a drive for lunch....but they are very dear friends. Car was brilliant! We had speeds from standing in traffic at the Fussen tunnel for 10 minutes, crawling through construction zones at 60/80 km/h and some sustained driving at 160 km/h. Saw my wife hit 200 km/h for a few brief moments when traffic cleared. I never once felt like I needed more power in any part of the drive. There is still plenty of grunt when going from 130 to 160 and then some. There were plenty of hill (up and down); some of them quite steep.

I reset the consumption computer when we left the house and the car said 13.7 km/L when we got home = 32.22 MPG!!!!:D.

Considering the speeds and traffic conditions I think that is outstanding. We had the A/C on the whole time and did not use the start stop thing at all (it annoys my wife).

If you kept your speed to 130 km/h I really think you could see 40 mpg. But its the autobahn! You can't help yourself.

Heads up navigation with speed limit info is worth every penny here. You do not want to miss the sign that goes from unlimited to 120 and get a ticket when you are hauling ass. $$$$$ or your license.
What a write up! Thank you very much for the details! I just had a build on my 535d. Love my 550 but its like keeping a big dog in a small home all day-I drive in traffic quite a bit. Look forward to performance and gas mileage. Thank you again!

#25 ·
Chose 535d (xdrive). Decided I would rather have $5k in additional options, and ridiculously better fuel economy for the same monthly payment.

My heart said 550i all the way, though. Nothing quite like a 4500lb missile that can trash mustang GTs and Camaro SS's from at a stoplight while also serving as a fantastic luxury machine.

Unfortunately, my head says 95+% of the time, I just wouldn't be using the extra power. And the mileage in a 535d will probably be in excess of 50% better than the 550i.

550i meant giving up M sport and possibly DHP. I made the call that I'll get more enjoyment out of those than more power I'll use 5% of the time.

Head usually wins. Course I'm still buying a $70,000 vehicle so maybe not...

#34 · (Edited)
From AAA:
National Average: Premium: $3.875, Diesel $3.883
Florida Average: Premium: $3.899, Diesel $3.890

In my neck of the woods:
Maryland Average: Premium: $3.949, Diesel $3.843

#35 ·
I am seeing diesel at or even a little below premium in the Houston area.

#38 ·
The cost of Diesel will go up in the winter months. Even then, the price could need to be significantly (dollars, not cents) higher than premium to negate the mpg savings. Averaged over the year and you will still be ahead. In my case, Diesel would need to be over $6 gallon and Premium would need to stay around $4 for me to get to the point where I wouldn't be ahead with the oil burner.

#39 ·
Point taken, I hadn't run the numbers but you are correct no contest . But that presents another argument......is the 535d really that compelling when compared with a 535? Assume the 535 gets 30 MPG highway as labeled and the 535d gets 38 MPG as labeled, both have a 19 gallon tank (roughly) and both drive roughly 12,000 miles a year.

the 535d base price is $1,500 more and based upon the above numbers (and identical diesel and Premium fuel prices) the 535d will save you roughly $328 per year over the 535, meaning it takes 60 months to break even on the diesel....not very compelling (it saves you $640 per year against a 550 which is more compelling) so the 535d is marginally cheaper after 60 months, and slower to 60 and the quarter. My guess is it has a better 50-70 passing time but that's it.

IMHO, Diesel cars are for people who want to keep them for 10+ years, no argument on longevity between gas and diesel, but this notion that diesel is much more economical is true but not nearly as true as advertised.

Kind of like when people first paid $35k for a compact car called the Prius and touted how little they needed to fill their tank. Meanwhile they are making a $700 a month car payment on a glorified Toyota Corolla.....

#45 ·
Using http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ as a quick and dirty comparator assuming 50% city/Highway driving at 15,000 miles a year and for giggles I used $4.40/gal for Diesel even though it's normally much cheaper and $3.95/gal for premium. I have"

535i: $2,450 annual fuel cost
535d: $2,150 annual fuel cost
550i: $2,950 annual fuel cost

Even by over inflating the cost of Diesel, it's a $300/year savings over the 535i. In the diesel, you're down one tenth of a second 0-60 so the edge goes to the 535i but most people aren't really going to notice a tenth of a second difference unless you're racing for titles. However, the 535d will have a 118 lb-ft of torque advantage that will help in passing speeds.

Using current national average fuel costs (3.87 for premium and 3.90 for Diesel) the difference between the 535i and 535d are even greater (assuming 15,000 miles a year with 50/50 highway/city miles.

535i: $2,400 fuel cost per year
535d: $1,900 fuel cost per year
550i: $2,900 fuel cost per year

That $500 per year savings will make the Diesel cost neutral over the 535i in three years with only a tenth of a second penalty in 0-60 and 118 lb-ft more torque with the 535d. To me, the 535i vs 535d discussion is a no brainer unless you start looking at engine noise and availability of Diesel in your area.

The fuel savings of the 535d over the 550i is $1000 per year but the tradeoff in performance is significant in the 0-60 and probably in the 30-60 as well although to a lesser extent. However, I think these two cars are much closer in real world driving (excluding bragging rights). The Diesel is lighter than the V8 so there is some advantage there. The benefits between these two is clear, acceleration goes to the 550i but the savings goes to the 535d.

#47 ·
It doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense to be parsing dollars regarding a 550 vs. 535d--these are expensive cars....both of them. To option them out is 4-6k difference depending on options.

There's no way the diesel is going to compare against the latest iteration 550 with 443hp/479lb. ft. tq. against the diesel. It ain't going to keep up. The question that most ask is it going to help take off well against other cars. Well, for the most party yes. But If it runs non-diesel Audis, Mercedes, Infiniti the answer is no. If your town has a lack of 550's and big-engine cars than the diesel should be fine. You should be of the mindset that you could give two shakes less about someone dragging you off the line, or even driving and playing games at 50 mph. There's no way that diesel is going to compete against the 550. Watch out for those Mustangs with Roush packages. And don't think that someone's going to try drag-racing even though it's stupid and unsafe.

These aren't cheap cars...you're looking at 75k for the diesel and 81k for the 550. If gas is your issue or unless you are some eco nut (the diesel 5 series doesn't even meet that) then you are going to get toasted. You don't want the guy in the Camaro screwing with you...get the 550. If you're figuring fuel cost difference between the two costs--well, I can understand that as a financial exercise--it means you can't afford the diesel nor the 550. Drop down and figure your costs o something else....no shame it that. These cars are only worth so much money. Better yet, go by a leftover Corvette and you won't have to worry about it. You have enough money for HP for the vette and an economy car.

BMW has made this product line ridiculous. You can buy a noisy and clattering 4 cylinder that sounds like a diesel, or actually buy a diesel. you can buy a 535 which probably boils down to a decent decision despite it's price (ain't cheap). The diesel--we'll get one if you like it. If you want to have one hell of a sleeper, get the 550 xdrive. If that's not enough by the M5. That's quite a spread of 55k tp 80k. That's as bad as the 7 series spread.

And if you get that big mamma xdrive 550, you have to get the DHP package to make sure it stays on the road because the M-sport without it is purely cosmetic. I experienced that in another German car. If you have the HP, you better get the brakes, suspension, and areo that can handle it. That's the tricky part of all of this. Major price creep. BMW brought VW/Porsche methodologies in.

#51 ·
www.gasbuddy.com is a great place to keep track of gas prices. It helped me figure out where the diesel stations are in my neck of the woods.

#54 ·
Cool. I may have to pop over to SC-BMW and check it out. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.