BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

It happened again.... this time my F10 tried to eject me from the drivers door.

5K views 56 replies 24 participants last post by  K-A 
#1 ·
So a couple of months after I got my car I posted here saying that on the way to a belated Valentines Day dinner, my cars rear drivers side door opened on the freeway (not completely, it popped open from fully-closed and hit the secondary "loose" latch). At the time I treated my car as well as any girlfriend would wish for their man to treat them, so I assumed it was just jealous of me spending VDay with "another girl" and tried to eject her.... just using the wrong door (it was young, undeveloped, not coordinated in knowing its own limbs yet).

Fast forward about 8 months and my car is being driven across State, State to State, dirty, unkept by its busier "owner", and my eyes have been wandering to other cars (F10 LCI namely, otherwise already wondering what I'll get "next", etc.). So on my way back from a 1200 round trip the other day, I went over a bump on the freeway and heard the loud sound of air pressure change and the car "chime" at me. I realized that my car had finally learned which door limbs were which and in an act of jealousy and anger, tried to eject me this time. However, the door once again although coming out of its fully latched position caught the "secondary loose latch" which meant of course the door didn't fully swing open or anything. Having to close it against the air pressure coming at the car at higher speeds on the freeway was of course fun.

Beware out there, the F10 commands your undivided love, attention and affection. If you don't provide it with that, it may be you next.

See less See more
#3 ·
Lol. Maybe it's a "Dealer Installed Option".

Oddly enough an AW 2013 550i M Sport drove past my once-Jet-Black-but-currently-Grey-filth ride and I was just drooling over it (been happening again with AW F10's, which was what I originally wanted my F10 in). Once I "let go" and just start treating my car like an appliance (and especially when it has to endure my grueling cross State work drives), I tend to want to start over again and get a brand new one again. My car knows this and hates me for it I guess.

#6 ·
Hahaha. Me too. I was hauling my GF's entire family around for a week and a half, through long distance drives and such, food in the car at times, humans in the car, dirt, bird poop everywhere, me not scanning for rock chips anymore, more dirt, etc.

I figured.... "eh, maybe it's a good time to get a new one anyway".

I'm sick in the head. :D

#7 · (Edited)
I'm glad you're ok.
I can see this incident used in a take-off on the new BMW commercial.
The iDrive says "Honey, why the f@#k are you neglecting me?" then the door flies open. :D

#8 ·
:rofl:

Thank you. And see what happens when you spoil' 'em early on?....

.... You try and go back to "me" time for a little bit and they try throwing you out the car. :bigpimp:

#9 ·
Do u have the soft close doors feature?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#10 ·
No, just the normal closing doors.

Funny thing was that I was on BT with my friend while driving. He heard the whole thing. I'm sure that was a good way to get him to see BMW in a high light. :D

#11 · (Edited)
This is alarming information.
Luckily you were strapped in your belt and so did not fly out of the car.
What are your counter meassures?
Extra non BMW seatbelt install?
Tying the doors together by a string of some sort?
Or just putting all the LCI folder and other information on the backseat, so to calm the old lady a bit in her manners?

#15 ·
:rofl: Yes on my next trip I think I'll do the "string tying method" to be extra careful. Fortunately I have my travel bag with me which always has dental floss in it. :D

If you don't have the soft close feature, it must be some pressure differences... I wonder if it is related to how difficult it's to shut the F10 doors close from outside?
Yeah most probably. I bet it is related to how difficult the doors are to close. It almost seems like they "suction" shut more than "click" shut (which I know obviously sn't the case, but it almost "feels" that way) which is why when the doors have popped open it seems likely pressure related. Though this time I went over a small bump on the freeway (not a pothole that jarred the chassis or anything, just a normal little smooth freeway expansion) which literally helped "pop" it open.

#13 ·
If you don't have the soft close feature, it must be some pressure differences... I wonder if it is related to how difficult it's to shut the F10 doors close from outside?

#17 ·
You are joking right?

#25 ·
LOL. I think the F10 just found its best marketing slogan: "So much better than the E Class that even popping open doors while driving won't get you to want to switch back".

Where do you live? what elevation?
I was somewhere North in CA (middle of nowhere, basically). Elevation isn't that crazy high around there I don't think.

Let us know how the dealer address this problem. Crazy thought but doors kinda need to stay shut in motion.
Yeah, you'd think. :rofl: I guess I should take it in.... grr.

I would not be making light of this situation. This is a very serious safety issue and I'd have my car at the dealership ASAP.
That's true. I actually really should. Just annoying since I've been busy. Now that I think about it, in case the door actually would literally "swing" open and hit something, I could at least have documentation stating that it was a problem so the insurance bill wouldn't be on me (of course that's setting aside the major and more important safety hazard of that happening).

Just to clarify, the door didn't actually OPEN open, it became unlatched and was wigglingly shut in that secondary latch position.

Which brings up another question.... I wonder how solid and "in place" that "wiggly" secondary latch position is? BTW my doors are always locked while driving which obviously didn't help any of this.

#20 ·
Let us know how the dealer address this problem. Crazy thought but doors kinda need to stay shut in motion.

#22 ·
To what avail, will there be a fault to be read somewhere in the electronic dungeons?
And then what, coding will be the first hurddle to take, or will something make this car flex and thereby opening two different doors. I would not like to have a car like this, but calling it a major safety issue is somewhat over the top.
I would sell it, but not get the Italian, as suggested today on this forum, instead.
One of the newly released MB's maybe?
But taking it to the dealer to get it fixed, no way.
That will be such a dissatisfier.

#24 ·
Being as dumb as I seem to be.
It will not be a matter of disalignment of only one door.
There were allready two doors that opened without being commanded to do so.
K-A is by no means a risk seeking driver.
Calling this a sgnificant and serious safety issue is really making a too big thing about this.
I would sell the car.
And get a nice new one, that keeps the doors closed on it 's own.

#26 ·
I would take it to the dealer, and submit a complaint with the NHSTA. Then get a 2014.

#30 ·
I thought I would revive this old thread and share a similar experience I just had. I was exiting the Massachusetts turnpike slowing down for a tow booth, yes we still have toll booth here that we have to slow down for thanks to our can***8217;t get nothing done governor, as I approach the toll booth doing probably about 30 MPH, I hit this mother of all pot holes. First I hear a warning chime from the dash and then I hear air turbulence entering the cabin. I thought my window was open or it was crack at first, as I look down on the dash, I saw the driver door ajar alarm. Luckily the door did catch on the outer or secondary latch and did not open. As I slow down for the toll booth, I am wondering at what speed does the F10 put on the parking paw if I open the door, and no, I did not have my seat belt on. Without wanting to risk transmission damage, I come to a complete stop and close the door as the car behind me almost rear ended me because he was tailgating. I am starting to wonder if this by design or is it a design flaw, as the F10 is the only car that I had this experience with.

#33 ·
It has to be a design flaw. Something is goofy with the F10 door latch. If it's latched it should be latched. I've closed my door a few times and it seemed the latch was "stuck" outward so before it closed it'd make a loud metal on metal clank.

#40 ·
Now we know why this generation of Bimmers all sound like Fighter Jets. :D

#54 ·
This just happened to me yesterday! My driver side rear door popped open while I was acceleratin after a stop sign. Doors were locked. Door still popped open. No big bumps or anything. Simply accelerating up to 35-40 MPH leaving my neighborhood. Thank God my kid wasn't in the back seat.

It actually scared the crap out of me. Now I have to take time out if my busy schedule to take it to the closest dealer - 30 miles away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.