BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

N63 engine recall

592K views 2K replies 370 participants last post by  indycarmarc 
#1 · (Edited)
Took my car in yesterday and my service advisor said there is a recall on the n63 motor that he hadn't seen before.
Details were limited but he said they have to test a bunch of the parameters on how the engine performs, send that data to BMW and depending on what they see, BMW may require the dealer to replace certain components of the engine. Said this could take several days to complete.

This is all I've got for now. Hoping I'll get some additional details as the week progresses. I'll update thread. Wondering if this has anything to do with the injectors?
Anyone else heard or aware of this recall?

#161 ·
I dropped off my car January 2, and they've called me the last few days to tell me that they haven't even started! They keep telling me that it has to get approved by BMW, and I keep asking them what has to get approved when it is obvious that my car meets the requirements because I have the N63 engine and it is an N63 recall. I keep getting the "it's procedure" response. They also told me that they've already done a few cars and that it is the way it has to be done. Can anyone share their experience and/or if my dealer is right or wrong?

#163 ·
I think I'll delete a late model 550 from the list of used cars to be considered for purchase in the future. Will be interesting to see how many of the affected cars end up as CPO cars as owners trade them.

#167 ·
Wanted to relay my experience in case it's useful to anyone else - have already learned a bunch from this forum and want to pay it back where possible.

Just had this done as my early Dec purchased CPO 30k mile 2012 550i broke down new year's day with the infamous 'drivetrain malfunction' message, running extremely rough on restart following a gas station stop.

My experience in case it helps others - work was the SF Bay Area dealer from whom I purchased car:
- Total time was Friday 1/2 through Thurs 1/8, so just under a week. Service visit was obviously unscheduled but I believe the dealer started work almost immediately.
- I believe BMW NA *does* need to approve specific parts to be replaced following initial inspection and test. From reading elsewhere, an initial allocation of parts was pushed to dealers, to be replenished by specific approved parts. I was told parts were ordered for my car and came in over the course of a few days.
- My car got turbo seals, all 8 injectors, low pressure fuel sensor and plumbing, and vacuum pump. along with oil change and re-coding of service interval. Timing was checked, chain replacement was not needed. No battery or spark plugs.
- Of several cars underway SA relayed that only 1 had required chain replacement.
- Car is running very smoothly now and pulls like a freight train - though only symptom I had noticed in the few weeks I drove the car prior was an intermittently rough idle.

I'm hopeful that this fairly broad campaign addresses all the known weaknesses, love the car otherwise and would like to drive it for the next several years. However I take comfort in knowing that in California lemon law protections apply at least in part to CPO cars, so I have some fallback in the event of major ongoing issues.

#168 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with the service manager. They are replacing the timing chains and all related parts along with all of the others listed in the N63 care pak. They said I should have this car back by next Friday. We will see.

#171 ·
My SA called and said my timing chain is fine but do need other parts on the recall list are needed. He said he will provide more detail and my car should be done next Tuesday or so. I dropped off on Wednesday. Question? Does the timing chain run out of spec over time, is it normal if it does? Mine is 2013, my concern is the 11/12's ran out of spec due to the manufacturing issues and mine may have the same issue after couple more years. Thanks

#176 ·
Future issues?

That will be something I will be asking when I get my car back. If any of the items on this list "pass" the "inspection", what is my recourse if they fail in the near future. My car is a 2011 but it only has 33K miles on it. If the timing chain issue does not really show up on cars less the 50K miles (for example), what will be done about my chain if it has issue post my CPO warranty.

This is probably why it is a "campaign" as opposed to "recall". They can then be selective on what they have to replace.

#172 ·
I will be taking my car in this coming Wednesday 1/14. Last year my car had 4 of my fuel injectors replaced, valve guides, upper radiator hose, spark plugs (twice), oil pan seal, walnut shell cleaning to clean built up carbon in the engine and I'm sure a few other things I may have forgotten. I can't wait to see what has to be done now.
Just wondering how many N63 owners are thinking about trading in their cars and getting a new vechicle or going to another car maker?

#173 ·
I will be taking my car in this coming Wednesday 1/14. Last year my car had 4 of my fuel injectors replaced, valve guides, upper radiator hose, spark plugs (twice), oil pan seal, walnut shell cleaning to clean built up carbon in the engine and I'm sure a few other things I may have forgotten. I can't wait to see what has to be done now.
Just wondering how many N63 owners are thinking about trading in their cars and getting a new vechicle or going to another car maker?
I was wanting to do just that, but BMW dropped the ball big time on the "incentives" to trade in. $1500 won't do anything for me, and you can't even combine it with Euro Delivery. I think I may take it to carmax just to get a ballpark number, and formulate a plan from there.

#177 ·
Called a local dealer this morning. They said that unless I'm experiencing some kind of failure I can't participate in the campaign and they won't look at my car. I told the lady that's not how this campaign works and she laughed at me. After she did that I told her I would never bring my car there or buy a car from them in the future and hung up.

Called second BMW dealer. Told them i wanted to schedule an appointment for the N63 campaign and they said no problem and took down my name and info. I guess they're calling people to set appointments as the parts come in. She said hopefully less than a month! I hope my appointment is soon. I have 70k miles on the car and no warranty. The exhaust smells like fuel, the idle is rough and it consumes a quart of oil every 800 miles. I'm genuinely worried about a catastrophic failure before my appointment comes!

#180 ·
Just an FYI after speaking with my service manager that the injectors have to be series 10 and lower for them to be replaced under this "Campaign" So if you currently have series 11 or 12 you will not get new ones.

#181 ·
Very useful information! Keep it coming.

And it is consistent with this:

New injectors were recently released from BMW for the N63, N74, and N54 with "improved internal filtering" and "special thermo compensating oil". Unfortunately the new injectors have "calibration" and "construction differences" that prevent them from being intermixed with older style injectors "index 10", but they can be intermixed with newer "index 11" injectors. So in some cases of injector failure BMW owners might have to replace ALL fuel injectors depending on which injectors are already equipped on their BMW. BMW injector replacement requires sensitive calibration with BMW diagnostic equipment, e.g. ISTA-D system.

The "thermo compensating" features of the injectors is interesting, because I read somewhere else that the twin-turbo arrangement/design on top of the engine is in part to blame for excessive heat and failure of the other components that are being replaced as part of this campaign.

#185 ·
My experience similar to skipstuff. Bought CPO 2012 550Xi M Sport with 31K miles in Dec. Drove it less than 100 miles and hit drivetrain malfunction. Towed in on 12/29. Got the car back on 1/9. (My car got turbo seals, all 8 injectors, low pressure fuel sensor and plumbing, and vacuum pump. along with oil change and re-coding of service interval. Timing was checked, chain replacement was not needed. No battery or spark plugs.)

Took car on long shakedown cruise (300 miles) today. Overall very happy and love the car. Only concern is very rough ride which feels to be beyond normal road type stuff. At 90+ it is smooth as silk. Between 1500-2000RPM cruising on highway between 75-80 I can feel my fillings rattle and there is significant vibration in my seat. My wife opened sun visor to use mirror and she could barely see as it was shaking so badly. Don't feel anything weird through the steering wheel and car tracks fine. Not sure if this could be engine related or RFT's (never had a car with RFT's so not familiar with the ride). Tires are newer and in good shape. Mostly in Comfort setting though tried all other settings to see if any significant change. My 2005 530i has a smoother ride at same speed.

Anyone have similar drive issue? Absolutely love this car and the power. Just want to iron out all the gremlins ruining the experience.

#186 ·
My experience similar to skipstuff. Bought CPO 2012 550Xi M Sport with 31K miles in Dec. Drove it less than 100 miles and hit drivetrain malfunction. Towed in on 12/29. Got the car back on 1/9. (My car got turbo seals, all 8 injectors, low pressure fuel sensor and plumbing, and vacuum pump. along with oil change and re-coding of service interval. Timing was checked, chain replacement was not needed. No battery or spark plugs.)

Took car on long shakedown cruise (300 miles) today. Overall very happy and love the car. Only concern is very rough ride which feels to be beyond normal road type stuff. At 90+ it is smooth as silk. Between 1500-2000RPM cruising on highway between 75-80 I can feel my fillings rattle and there is significant vibration in my seat. My wife opened sun visor to use mirror and she could barely see as it was shaking so badly. Don't feel anything weird through the steering wheel and car tracks fine. Not sure if this could be engine related or RFT's (never had a car with RFT's so not familiar with the ride). Tires are newer and in good shape. Mostly in Comfort setting though tried all other settings to see if any significant change. My 2005 530i has a smoother ride at same speed.

Anyone have similar drive issue? Absolutely love this car and the power. Just want to iron out all the gremlins ruining the experience.
Sounds more like a wheel/tire balance issue to me.

#188 ·
Wow, I just made my last lease payment and was planning to purchase my 2012 550i next month at the end of lease. Just stumble on the thread and read through all the posts on the N63 recall. I had one "Engine Malfunction" incident once during my 35 months of driving.
So guys, should I still go ahead with the purchase and try to negotiate a lower residual value for the car? Or simply turn the car in next month. I like the car and was planning to keep it even though in the past I've returned all other BMW leases.

#193 ·
Had all the injectors replaced and low pressure fuel sensor as well as 2 O2 sensors before this thread was made. Had the Drivetrain Malfunction. Since this service the car has run flawlessly for about 2k miles. Crossing fingers that this is the only issue. Car only had 18k miles on it and I'm hoping to keep it relatively trouble free until at least 100k. Since this is my first BMW, this problem did put a bad taste in my mouth and I was kicking myself for even purchasing this CPO 2011 550. I love this car though. For me it's a good combo of comfort, performance and hauling the kid and his stuff around. Crossing fingers...

#199 ·
Just the small credits they're giving people if they trade their car in, which for those of us that bought, are ridiculous.

There was some info in the "ask a dealer" section but last I looked, it mysteriously disappeared. Not sure what to make of that.

#201 ·
I got a call Friday for me to take min in to for a recall. 2 things... 1 is the timing chain and the other are the fuel injectors.

#205 ·
Got a call from the SA, he again confirmed the timing chain is within spec due to the miles on my 13' and he also told that I will need all the following so the timing chain stays within spec in the future (not sure about the FI), including software update, probably the CBS interval. I hope that does not erase my coding.

Hot-Film Air Mass Sensors
PIEZO High Pressure Fuel Injectors
Engine Vacuum Pump
Fuel System Low Pressure Sensor/Feed Line
Fresh Air Intake Turbo Seals
Crankcase Ventilation Lines (Hoses)
The care package also includes engine timing chain test plan, engine oil & filter replacement, vehicle's programming with a reduction of the CBS intervals, and finally a multi-point inspection of the vehicle, including tire pressures, fluid levels, safety and convenience features.

:dunno::dunno::cry::thumbdwn::mad: I am at the 5th step of the 12..

#207 · (Edited)
So here is the wording that I sent Friday evening to BMW Canada:

Hi...I have become aware of a Customer Care Package (Recall) for BMW 550 cars with the N63 engine. The bulletin number is B001314
I have a 2011 BMW 550 xi with the above mentioned engine. I have noticed a abnormally high rate of oil burn & cannot help but think that this issue is related at least in part to your recall issue.
I called my dealer & was told this was only being done for US customers? I sure hope that your Canadian customers are as important as any other Countries customers.
I would hope that you can see to it that my car gets scheduled for this Customer Care Package as your US customers are getting?
Please let me know when I can take my car in for this service.
VIN#xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks in advance

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here is the response I received a few minutes ago:

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada. We appreciate your inquiry.

The campaign you are referring to is a United States recall campaign. At this time, your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls. We will notify you in writing if an applicable recall is released in the future. We hope you find this helpful.

If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

Sincerely,

Dave Cosart
BMW Canada

#208 ·
So here is the wording that I sent Friday evening to BMW Canada:

Hi...I have become aware of a Customer Care Package (Recall) for BMW 550 cars with the N63 engine. The bulletin number is B001314
I have a 2011 BMW 550 xi with the above mentioned engine. I have noticed a abnormally high rate of oil burn & cannot help but think that this issue is related at least in part to your recall issue.
I called my dealer & was told this was only being done for US customers? I sure hope that your Canadian customers are as important as any other Countries customers.
I would hope that you can see to it that my car gets scheduled for this Customer Care Package as your US customers are getting?
Please let me know when I can take my car in for this service.
VIN#xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks in advance

And here is the response I received a few minutes ago:

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for contacting BMW Canada. We appreciate your inquiry.

The campaign you are referring to is a United States recall campaign. At this time, your vehicle does not have any outstanding recalls. We will notify you in writing if an applicable recall is released in the future. We hope you find this helpful.

If you have any further comments, please reply to this email or contact the Customer Interaction Centre at 1-800-567-2691. Again, thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

Sincerely,

Dave Cosart
BMW Canada
Ha- as if it magically only affects US cars.

#211 · (Edited)
I'll add to the list of a dealer failing to live up to the conditions of the recall. I'm in an X1 because they pulled several 535s and an X5 for various reasons as I'm sitting there looking at them.

Has anyone pressed on the "gift bag" yet? I'm interested to hear anyone's experience, as I would be shocked if they lived up to that item.

I hope you guys in Canada get this resolved, total BS if they try to say it's only US spec cars having issues.

#1,099 ·
CCP Gift Bag

I'll add to the list of a dealer failing to live up to the conditions of the recall. I'm in an X1 because they pulled several 535s and an X5 for various reasons as I'm sitting there looking at them.

Has anyone pressed on the "gift bag" yet? I'm interested to hear anyone's experience, as I would be shocked if they lived up to that item.

I hope you guys in Canada get this resolved, total BS if they try to say it's only US spec cars having issues.
I received an umbrella and travel mug. Total retail was about $37.

#212 ·
I don't care for the gift basket, I just want my car back. I'm sick right now, coughing, sore throat, etc. so I don't have the energy to deal with them about this. But I'm going to push the dealer into doing the right thing and extend my warranty. Owners need assurance, not lame incentives to dump there cars for a new BMW. I was considering a new X5, or if the trade incentive was any good, trade my car for an X5 and get an M4 in the summer. But if I feel like BMW is throwing customers under the bus with this "care package", I won't be buying a BMW again.

I guess its a matter of what its worth to BMW to keep us as customers.

#213 ·
If you want the warranty extension, I would start on that now. The service manager will have to get in touch with the BMW NA team and figure something out. Just being completely honest, I doubt BMW NA is going to approve that request, but try like hell to get it done. I've seen the bureaucracy and red tape of BMW NA first hand, and it's not pleasant. Just stick with it and see what happens.

#214 ·
The dealers in my area are having a hell of a time with this recall. One dealer told me they wouldn't even be scheduling appointments for at least a month b/c they can't get parts. The other dealer in town is getting me in a week from tomorrow. He couldn't offer me a loaner before then. What a mess...

I completely agree w/ Slick. We need to have our warranties extended on these engines. If the damage has already been done this recall won't do anything except maybe delay the failure. While I appreciate BMW is taking some action, they still have a little further to go to make things right in my opinion.

#215 ·
I agree. We should all push for another option since these cars have depreciated so much. Trading them at wholesale prices and then having to buy new (minus the 2500) only puts more money in their pockets. How about an extended warranty or CPO? They will probably lose quite a few of us and have probably lost quite a few owners in the last few years due to this issue.

Do any of your cars have a strange exhaust odor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.