BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#27 ·
I have the Dension Ice>Link installed with my 20G iPod. It stays in my glovebox year round and I have never had a problem with it. It has been in 108 degree heat and been in 36 degree cold and has shown no ill effects. :thumbup:

#28 ·
GolferEngineer said:
I'm considering upgrading to the iPod interface in the near future - I'll sacrifice the CD changer for the iPod.

However, I have some concerns about leaving the iPod in the glove compartment during the summer and winter months.

Here is the operating data from the Apple/iPod website:
Environmental requirements
Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Non operating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Being an engineer, I'm leery of leaving the iPod in the car since operation and storage cannot be guaranteed.

Do users take the iPod with them whenever they leave the care even, for example, at the shopping mall, to prevent damage?

Am I being overly concerned or does anyone have bad experiences with damaged iPods due to temperature extremes?

:dunno:
I keep my iPod in the center arm rest console w/ no problems.

#29 ·
Gary1227 said:
I was wondering if the IPOD adapter will power the IPOD off when the ignition is turn off. It would a pain to have to open the glove compartment to turn off the IPOD everytime you leave the car for an extended period of time.
When connected to a power source through the dock connector, the iPod turns itself off a few seconds after the power is turned off. Even with my hardwire iPod install (see sticky above) it turns itself off after I turn the car off.

#30 ·
I merged two threads into this one so there could be a slight disconnect somewhere in the middle...FYI. :)

#32 ·
sjaroslo said:
My local dealer told me that the correspondence they've seen from BMW seemed to indicate a November delivery date for the iPod adapter, rather than July as we had been led to believe. Does anyone have any new information on the availability of the adapter? Thanks.
See post #17 in this thread.

#34 ·
sjaroslo said:
Thanks, Stream. But my car is an '07 so I'm not worried about the software; my dealer made it sound as thought the hardware will not be available until November--that would bite!
My dealer told me the hardware will be released the end of July--and that was after he emailed and heard back from his BMWNA technical contact. Time will tell... ;)

#36 ·
bump

#37 ·
I wonder if the iPod connector will be available in a Mazda before our cars... :confused:

Apple, Car Makers Team Up To Offer iPod Connectivity
A WALL STREET JOURNAL ONLINE NEWS ROUNDUP
August 3, 2006 10:06 a.m.

Apple Computer Inc. struck deals with three major car makers to offer iPod connectors in new models.

Apple, based in Cupertino, Calif., said Thursday it teamed up with Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp. and Japanese Ford-affiliate Mazda Motors Corp. to offer "seamless" integration of Apple's iPod portable music players.

GM said its device, called "personal audio link" will sell at dealerships for less than $160, plus installation fees, and be introduced in October. The Detroit auto maker expects to make the device available on all of its 56 vehicle models.

Ford, based in Dearborn, Mich., said it will offer built-in audio-input jacks in 14 2007 models. Customers would be able to play their iPod as well as any other MP3 player with a standard 3.5 millimeter audio output.

In early 2007, Ford and Lincoln Mercury dealers will a special audio system that will allow a driver to store an iPod in the glove box and select music using the steering wheel or radio controls.

Mazda will offer iPod connectivity in its entire 2007 lineup of cars and sport-utility-vehicles.

#38 ·
Price?

When it does finally become available, are there any guesses as to how much it will cost installed?

#39 ·
Does anyone know if having the navigation is critical to the functionality of the iPod integration kit?

I assume not, and that it's simply a matter of having iDrive, which obviously all E60 owners have.

#41 · (Edited)
Interesting to note that the pdf states compatibility is only with cars from 03/05 forward.

BMWUSA website says compatible with all E60's.

I have checked with my parts manager and the part number for my 03/04 production 530 is different than the part number for 03/05 production vehicles. There very well may be a hardware difference involved.

Edit :

I spoke with BMWNA and they confirmed that the part is not currently compatible with pre 03/05 production due to SW coding in the head unit. An upcoming version of Progman will address the software problem and make the unit compatible with all E60's and the E65 as well.

#43 ·
Interesting to note that the pdf states compatibility is only with cars from 03/05 forward.

BMWUSA website says compatible with all E60's.

I have checked with my parts manager and the part number for my 30/04 production 530 is different than the part number for 03/05 production vehicles. There very well may be a hardware difference involved.

Edit :

I spoke with BMWNA and they confirmed that the part is not currently compatible with pre 03/05 production due to SW coding in the head unit. An upcoming version of Progman will address the software problem and make the unit compatible with all E60's and the E65 as well.
That's consistent with what my dealer told me a month ago:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1801986&postcount=17

#42 ·
This is not to poo-poo on the iPod interface parade, as I was anxiously awaiting its release myself, until...

I've been burning DL DVDs, and have decided I won't go with the iPod interface (yet?). With 8.4GB+ per DVD, you can carry a humonguous amount of music on a DVD. Burn half a dozen, and you have more tunes than most people have time to listen to. :cry:

I realize this may nor work for all (gotta have NAV, gotta have a DVD burner, etc), but it is an interesting alternative.:thumbup: And if you already have NAV & a burner, it's a free alternative!

#47 ·
I ordered the Ipod interface yesterday from my dealer. Its supposed to be in next week.

BMW just released a hold on it yesterday mid day. So its available.

Supposedly I will need a quick software programming done and the unit runs off of the CD changer presets on the I drive screen. You can't have the CD changer is you use this.

#50 ·
My dealer has a few of the new iPod adapters in stock (1 is tagged for me :) ), but the parts dept. did not have info on the labor cost for install. I would have thought that this info was included on the bulletin that BMW sends to the dealers with the part numbers, etc.

They passed me on to the shop foreman to get the labor estimate, but I want to make sure I'm not getting hosed because I'll have the first install into an E60.

Anyone know what the install time should be? Jspira?

#51 ·
The dealer bulletin attached above says where they should get the install times:

Suggested installation time for this accessory will vary depending on vehicle model
(Please refer to installation instructions on ASAP for suggested install time)

#54 ·
FWIW my dealer's service tech today quoted me $1000 for labor. He agreed that the bulletin prices were correct for parts ($ 319 if harness required) but said removing the CD player and installing the Ipod harness requires them to "re-order" the car. He indicated this is a 5 hour complete reprogramming of the vehicle. Also said if they were "re-ordering" the car for another reason such as a recall problem that this would not be able to be bundled in with that. Either this was not planned very well or he didn't get the plan.

#56 ·
FWIW my dealer's service tech today quoted me $1000 for labor. He agreed that the bulletin prices were correct for parts ($ 319 if harness required) but said removing the CD player and installing the Ipod harness requires them to "re-order" the car. He indicated this is a 5 hour complete reprogramming of the vehicle. Also said if they were "re-ordering" the car for another reason such as a recall problem that this would not be able to be bundled in with that. Either this was not planned very well or he didn't get the plan.
Find another dealer.

Attached is the iPod interface install instructions. Install time is 0.75 hours, excluding coding.

While it's true that coding the car can take 5 hours, and also can take a day or 2 if it freezes during the process, the coding process does not require a tech to watch and wait while the coding takes place. In other words, once the coding process is initiated, the tech can work on another item on your car, or on another car, so you should not be charged for the total hours it takes to code the car.

Attachments

#53 ·
Something I read stated that either a CD changer or CD changer prep was required for the iPod kit, which makes sense based on how it works.

I just ordered a 2007 530xi with the Logic7 upgrade (without the changer); does anyone know if my car will have the CD changer "prep" necessary for the iPod kit?

#55 ·
Something I read stated that either a CD changer or CD changer prep was required for the iPod kit, which makes sense based on how it works.

I just ordered a 2007 530xi with the Logic7 upgrade (without the changer); does anyone know if my car will have the CD changer "prep" necessary for the iPod kit?
The CD changer is no longer installed at the factory, it is a dealer installed accessory, as is the iPod interface. All E60 cars come with CD changer prep (and satellite radio prep).

#58 ·
Is the IPOD interface compatible with Sirius

The IPOD info on Owner's Circle says the IPOD interface cannot be installed on the 3-series or the X5 if you have the Sirius Satellite Radio option. :thumbdwn:

Is this also the case for the 2007 E60?

#59 ·
The IPOD info on Owner's Circle says the IPOD interface cannot be installed on the 3-series or the X5 if you have the Sirius Satellite Radio option. :thumbdwn:

Is this also the case for the 2007 E60?
That must be the first gen iPod adapter (which wasn't MOST based). The new iPod interface is compatible w/ Sirius--see press release below.

Press Release
Source: BMW of North America, LLC
BMW Announces New Interface for iPod With Expanded Model Availability and Features
Wednesday April 12, 10:43 am ET

System will be Available for new 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as 5, 6, and 7 Series

WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., April 12 /PRNewswire/ -- BMW today announced the debut of a new BMW Interface for iPod that will enable seamless integration of the iPod for the newest generation of BMW models. With the new BMW Interface for iPod this means that seamless iPod connectivity will be available for every current BMW model.

Source: BMW of North America, LLC

BMW announces new iPod Interface with new features.

The new BMW Interface for iPod will be available for owners of the new BMW 3 Series Sedans and Sports Wagons as well as the 5, 6, and 7 Series. It will also be available for the new M5 Sedan and M6 Coupe. It will enable audiophiles to bring their entire music collections with them, plug directly and effortlessly into a superior sound system while maintaining uncompromised control over their driving experience. Since the new Interface is compatible with SIRIUS satellite radio as well as the recently introduced HD Radio, owners will be able to enjoy a broad selection of high fidelity broadcast music sources as well. The original BMW iPod Adapter will continue to be available for 2002 and later BMW models: X3, X5, Z4, and previous generation 3 Series.

The original BMW iPod Adapter was the world's first seamless integration between iPod and a vehicle audio system. The new Interface will also allow users to incorporate their iPods directly into their car's sound system, but with the newly available capability to sort their music according to their own playlists, as well as by artist, album, genre, podcast, and finally, a random selection of 500 songs from the user library. Artist, album, and song title will appear in the Display Monitor.

The seamless integration of iPod makes it effortless for drivers to control their music through their existing audio system and the multifunction steering wheel. The new BMW Interface for iPod enables drivers to easily access their entire music library, shuffle songs, skip between tracks and adjust volume -- all of this with no loss of sound quality or driving control.

The new Interface is compatible with all iPods with a dock connector, including the iPod nano and the fifth generation iPod. The BMW iPod Interfaces integrate the iPod through a direct connection in the BMW glovebox, providing outstanding sound quality and constant power to the iPod all while your iPod remains protected and out of view.

The new BMW iPod Interface will be available for customers to purchase at BMW centers beginning in July 2006. Pricing has not been determined.

Features and operation may vary depending on vehicle model and option content. Consumers should check with their BMW centers for specific application restrictions or log onto www.ipodyourbmw.com. Installation is performed by authorized BMW centers only. iPod players are sold separately. Please visit www.ipodyourbmw.com for additional information.

BMW Group In America

#61 ·
OK - got the new BMW iPod adapter installed in my car today, and it works really well. :thumbup:

A couple of notes after about an hour's usage:

• I have the Pioneer iPod interface attached to an AVIC-Z1 in my other car, and the BMW adapter with iDrive is MUCH better -- and easier to use.
  • When you first plug in the iPod and browse one of the 6 "discs", it takes a while for the iDrive to pull all of the song information off of the iPod. (I have over 4200 songs on my iPod)

However, once it's "cached" the info, then scrolling through playlists, albums, artists, etc. is very fast. (In contrast to the Pioneer iPod interface, which could take minutes to scroll through all of artists or albums.
  • One thing I did notice is that I can only see 500 songs in one playlist. (This is documented in the iPod interface manual for cars that have iDrive without Navigation. The guide also mentions that you can only see 255 albums or artists, but I didn't notice this).
  • The part was $299.95 (-10% BWM CCA), and for my car (I have a 530i with a Feb 2006 build date, and did not have a changer), install was 2 hours labor. The install guide references 0.75 hours to install the part, but remember they do CIP programming.

#62 · (Edited)
Good info--thanks

What happens if you have more than 255 albums or artists? Does it only display the first 255 in alphabetical order?

When you're in the artist category, does it list the albums, then songs within album (like the iPod hierarchy)?

Any chance you could scan & post the users manual?

#67 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting this!!!

I've seen a lot of posts about with which cars the new iPod interface will work but almost nothing about this limit of only 255 artists or albums being visible. It seems to me that this could be a major drawback for many people. Granted, 255 albums is better than 6 CDs but I think most people are naturally expecting to be able to see ALL artists, albums, or tracks since BMW hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, mentioned any of this in their marketing information. One of the beauties of the iTunes music store is that you can download single songs from an artist. Over time, it's very easy to accumulate a library with many artists and each one have a relatively few number of songs. This limit really needs to be publicized. If someone pays ~$500 only to find out about these limits after-the-fact there are going to be some very upset people.

#70 ·
Thanks Stream for posting this. It actually looks like it's easy enough for me to install. But one thing that's confusing me is in a previous post of yours, you talk about the install taking .75 hours, but coding can take up to 5 hours. The BMW install instructions also state you need to do coding. But in the DIY instructions you posted, he didn't do coding and it worked fine.

So is coding necessary or just some kind of precautionary step that's not actually required? I'd love to do this myself, but don't want to find out once it's too late that coding is necessary. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.