BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

how to flush engine using off-the-shelf engine flush additives?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ECSTuning 
#1 ·
Is flushing engine safe or not? I read the net and read conflicting reports on the effectiveness of it. Some would say it would even be harmful to the engine as it dislodges all the build-up dirt.

Also is there a proper way of performing an engine flush using off-the-shelf additives?

I was thinking:

1. put engine flush additive.
2. run engine
3. drain
4. put some cheapest motor oil I could fine
5. run engine
6. put engine flush additive
7. run engine
8. drain
9. put proper motor oil and filter

I only thought of putting a cheap motor oil so any sludge that wasn't removed in the first drain will hopefully come out this time around.

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
It appears BMW ceased using a flush some years ago according to service manual (disk)from total car diagnostics(E-bay).Have asked local mechanics who feel it would not harm anything.Would consider the nulon product for myself.Diesel oils are supposed to be hi in detergent so on that thought a flush may not be needed.I would drop the oil after the X5 was really warmed up-a run of 25k or so should do it.With changes @ 15k(so i am told) i have decided to do my at 10k & use a full synthetic/nulon or penrite depending on $.My service book indicates up to 20k between changes-i will go by KLM not the service indicator.May be overserviceing but...

Provided you are happy with your decision after research to go ahead with the flush your proposed proceedure seems fine.The oil company tech sections will talk to you re their products/suitability-AUS castrol/penrite & others really helpful.

#3 ·
Every now and then I'll run a bottle of Liqui Moly engine flush (LINK) in my car before an oil change. It's a rather easy product to use, you just pour it in, fire up the vehicle and let it run for about 10 minutes then preform an oil change. I've never re flush with cheap oil, or anything like that after using the engine flush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.