BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4M engine belts replacement

6K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Ron Stygar 
#1 · (Edited)
Belts on order.

On the Z3M, I would do it from above.

Looks like doing it from the bottom would be easier on the Z4M.
Anyone do it either way on the Z4M?

Z3M how to:
AC belt 11 28 7 830 946 $23.75 retail
Alternator belt 11 28 7 832 327 $33.75 retail

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Just did this to install underdrive pulleys.I did mine from the top but had to remove the fan shield. Of course I couldn't get the plastic rivets out but I just took a flat blade and broke them off. Had 10 on hand and replaced. Only like $.50 a piece or so. Also there is a bitch of a rivet(1) on the fan shroud. Once this is off it's a piece of cake, Fitting the fan shroud back in can be frustrating but patience pays off.

The other day I was underneath after checking the engine mounts. Looks doable from the bottom. As long as you can get a torx on each tensioner you should be ok. Not sure if you can reach the top tensioner from the bottom though.:dunno:

07 EXPANDING RIVET 1ea 17111712963 $0.27 for fan shroud
EXPANDING RIVET 8ea 51168197908 $0.37 for radiator top cover plastic trim with bme logo. Need 8 ordered 10 in case of redundancy.

If you can get these out w/o breaking them off you are a better man than me :)

#10 · (Edited)
I did mine from the top but had to remove the fan shield. Of course I couldn't get the plastic rivets out but I just took a flat blade and broke them off. Had 10 on hand and replaced. Only like $.50 a piece or so. Also there is a bitch of a rivet(1) on the fan shroud. Once this is off it's a piece of cake, Fitting the fan shroud back in can be frustrating but patience pays off.
It can be done easier from below.

Tools:

AC Tensioner:

Engine Tensioner:

Where the fan would be:

Cover from E30, Screw plug 11 51 1 310 640 $8.86r

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.