BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New model-new question

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Banton 
#1 · (Edited)
First off, introductions.....

I'm Bill, and I'm a recovering Porsche-holic. Now that I am firmly in the Bimmer corner, I am asking for the collective input on the Z4 variations-specifically, the obvious and non-obvious differences between the s35i and the s35is. New models, hence the questions. My question is based on the fact that the 35is is not an M; and since it is not an M, but a new entry, what is the value proposition?

I want seat-of-the-pants fun, the best suspension that I can get, traction, horsepower (if it brings value) and some luxury. That's why I chose the z4, rather than going to another, larger luxo-cruiser. I want to get my ass kicked while having fun. The question is, am I just as well off getting a 35i and doing a Dinan flash, or is there something quantifiable that the 35is brings that is missing on the 35i?

$$ are not the determining factors here, and the usage will be twistys, hills and as much top speed as I can reasonably get away with on highways. If I load up on MSport package, Nav, Premium, etc, along with the DCT on a 35i, what won't I experience that the 35is would give. Exhaust difference, I realize, but what about driving dynamics?

I saw the TopGear article that dissed the 35is, but that is just one man's opinion, and it's hard to be objective about the 35 after driving in a Bugatti.........

Lots of words here, sorry, but since the 35is is new-but-not-an-M, what does that do for my requirements? I realize that each of you bought a specific car for a specific reason, but I am hoping to get some real feedback on both models.

Thanks all-Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Bill, I own a 35i. In my opinion, the M-Suspension and the DCT (option on 35i, standard on 35is) are the most important arguments to buy such a car. Other standard items are more cosmetic.

If you would like to tune your engine, a 35i would be good enough I think. The engines are the same. the 35is (340HP) would only get an extra 40HP or so while the 35i engine 85HP.
I haven;t tuned my engine yet, but will do in six months or so. Will remap only (Mosselman Turbo in Holland). My 35i then will have 370HP and torque of 500Nm (and top speed of 295).

#3 ·
Hey Bill,
A welcome shout out from AZ.

Ask 12 people, and you will get 13 opinions. That "seat of the pants" feel you are looking for, can only be determined by YOUR seat. Test drive as many versions as you can.

With that said, I too did a lot of research, reading and video viewing but when it came to making a decision, I went with the 35is. Part of my decision was coming from an SLK55 and an M3 prior, and I'm more than willing to give up a bit of ride comfort in order to get a tighter road feel and push-you-in the-back-of-the seat power. While much of this power comes from software mapping and could be gained in other models with some tuning, the "M" components and particularly the 19" double spoke wheels (326M) put me over the top.

I drove the 30i, 35i and the 35is and for me, I wanted/needed more kick in the butt than the 30i could deliver. I'd certainly be happy with any - but it just came down to what I felt was best for me. I'm sure you will do the same.

Scott

#4 ·
Hey Breeze, can you outline what you felt were the key differences between your test drive with the 35i and the "is"? Where you able to compare them consecutively? If so which was first? I only test drove the 35i once back in Oct. and have yet to see the "is" in person, let alone test drive it. I'm hoping my first encounter with one will be my own in 6 weeks, 5 days, 22 hours and 13 minutes from now...

#5 ·
Breeze-

I hope that the waiting for your new ride is bearable! Pics when it arrives.........

It sounds as though the35i with MSports, DCT and the other goodies, with an EES or Dinan flash would be the way to go. From what I am hearing, it sounds as though the ride and suspension on the "is" would be more firm than I would use. Although I do love the 326 rims.
What are the differences in the rear-end sheet metal of each car? The only difference that I can see is the silver mirrors on the 35is
I lived in S'dale for 20 years, 10 of them at Gainey Ranch. When I moved there in '73, the road from Scottsdale to Cave Creek was long, narrow and barren. Not now!

#6 ·
Wraith - unfortunately, because the 35is came out later, I didn't get to drive it sequentially right after I drove the 35i, so tough to say how much the 35hp and 69 torques had an impact on my decision. Others here may have a better feel for a back to back comparison. I guess I'm more of a give-me-all-you've-got-right-out-of-the box kind of guy. And since indications are that there won't be an M version, I went for the 35is. Wish I could give a more comprehensive review...but come Saturday, I'll be "test driving" my own!

Banton - It's close. I'll be taking delivery on Saturday! Ordered June 7th.
From the limited test drives what I sensed was that the ride difference between the 35i and 35is was very slight and I suspect it was mostly tire differences, the 35is I drove had 19" wheels with 225/35 front and 255/30 rear tires whereas the 35i had the standard 17" wheels and 45's in front and 40's in rear. As I'm sure you know, that can make a huge difference in the feel and ride (particularly with Run Flat Tires) So not a like-for-like comparison between the 35is and 35i.

The body differences are slight (in my opinion) there is slight differences in the front and rear facias. The lower front chin area and the lower rear defuser is different on the 35is. The best way to see it is to find a dealership that has both an i and an is and have them parked next to each other.
The rest is "M" stuff cosmetics on the door sills, dead pedal, and steering wheel. It also has a different trim - they call it Aluminum Carbon.

You are right about the growth of Scottsdale! Of course the housing market has pretty much stopped things in their tracks for the past couple years, but I'm sure where I am (far north Scottsdale - on the border with Carefree) was nothing but saguaro's and javelina's back when you were here!

#7 ·
I think you will be just fine with the 35i. I have the 35i and it is a blast to drive. I prefer the original classic look of the car without the rear diffusers. If you must go with an M ,than again go with the 35i. The diffuser isn't as bad looking as the one on the 35is. While I love the front bumper on either the is or the m package with the 35i, the rear spoils the car and imo is a deal breaker. Just my opinion

#8 ·
S35i with Dinan Stage II and DCT will give you as hot a package as you can use outside of track driving. Yes on adaptive suspension.

Assume you have skills with manual xmission. Although theDCT is a marvelous automatic in D or - especially - S, it really shines as a paddle-shift manual. And in this mode, the shift lever is also very handy for moving between the gears - no requirement to use the paddles if you are more comfortable moving the shift lever, especially good in turns.

IMHO and without actually testing, my guess is that the S35i with Dinan software is much superior to the S35is ... And a bit cheaper. The Dinan tune let's you push the car as hard as you want with zero penalty in regular street traffic. Other tuning options will probably give about the same kick, cheaper too, but without the Dinan warranty, and frankly I prefer a real software mod over a pre-ECU box that just changes inputs and so fools the ECU. More elegant.

I am aware of no turbo failures or other issues with either Dinan or the pre-ECU boxes and that goes back to when the N54 engine was first introduced. Such tuning puts you in Corvette territory on 0-60 times but in a roadster that has all the refinements and is not a POS in it's interior.

Enjoy.

#9 ·
Duck-

Way to hold back, dude! I honestly don't like the mirrors, tiller or diffusers on the 35is. Personal preference....I LOVE the326 wheels, and would replace the RFT with P2's. I am starting to narrow in on what I need-Sport package to get the adaptive steering, but the 35i with which I can do a Dinan flash, and all my other personal goodies.

Many thanks to all of you who have provided insight. I shall be soon ordering..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.