BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

She's getting closer....

5K views 56 replies 10 participants last post by  Wraith. 
#1 ·
After 18 days of not being able to track the Morning Celine across the Atlantic and thru the Panama Canal, she's back in tracking range off the Baja Peninsula traveling at 16.3 knots. Scheduled to be in the port of Oxnard, CA on the 28th....then who knows how long until she's in AZ. (the Zed4, not the ship) :thumbup:

#2 ·
Scott,
I bet you can't wait! Hopefully, you will have better luck in customs then some of the posters with west coast delivery have had this summer. It is less than a month now before I pick up my Z4 in Germany. According to the BMWUSA website, the car is "awaitng transport".
Vance

#4 ·
Mr. Breeze,

It's so close now! Just sleepless nights and nonproductive days until then!:D
My car was delivered to the dealer 6 days after arriving in Oxnard, I'd guess about the same to Scottsdale, so in just about 10 days you'll be driving that car!
I find myself getting up early in the morning to go for a drive up into the foothills.:drive: I live in the central valley of California and it's way too hot during the day this time of year for top-down driving, I suspect you'll feel the same way in Arizona.

#9 ·
man I can only imagine how unproductive you guys must be right now! I mean i'm still 7 weeks from Munich and I'm dreaming about the car at night and surfing for posts/news all day. Yes, I manage to get bit of work in here and there but..., let's just say productivity is way down I can imagine it's only going to get worse.

#12 ·
Congrats, Mr. Breeze.

Not sure if you mentioned this previously, but are you also keeping the SLK once your Z4 arrives? I replaced my SLK a few years back with the 335. Was sad to see the SLK go.....

#18 ·
Hey Mr. Breeze,

What's the latest news on the car? A whole day has gone by without any updates here. It's got to be exciting now, this is no time to be productive! :D
When you get the dealer delivery date, I think you should get a lawn chair and park yourself at the dealer to see the truck arrive.
How long has it been since you've gotten any sleep?

#19 ·
Hey Z4Golfer,
All I'm getting from my dealer is 7-10 days. (I would have preferred to know exactly where the car is at any given moment)

So between the sleepless nights and pacing the floor, I've been shopping....I just bought a 3" stubby antenna to replace the stock one. :)

Scott

#21 ·
She's been "born" !!!! Congrats! :thumbup:

You'll get to watch the ship thru the English Channel, then it goes dark for many days as when she's out at sea. You might be lucky to see her on a web cam from the Panama Canal, and then track her again as she sails up the west coast. So where does that leave you....early September for taking delivery and can start to :drive:

#22 ·
Mr. Breeze,

Let me know how that stubby antenna looks and works when you get it (and the car). By the way, while you're shopping, consider the wind deflector. I got the BMW stock model and it works great. They're pretty pricey but I knew I wanted one so I negotiated it into the price way back when I ordered the car. I didn't think I'd want to add an aftermarket plexiglas piece to the new car.:tsk:

#23 ·
I did some researching on another forum (zpost.com) and most said they didn't notice a significant (if any) change in their FM signals, but did find that AM did not come in as strong. Of course most (including myself) rarely listen to FM and even less so AM anymore, so it was more about improving the aesthetics of the car. I ordered it from a company called Mangowalk. Their site is mangowalk.com they also sell thru their ebay store. Same prices either way, so I just did ebay. I went with the rubber one, but they also have an aluminum one (still black) if you prefer the non-flexible type.

I too will no doubt do the clear wind deflector as well, but I wanted to drive it a bit before plopping down the money (you are right, they aren't cheap) for one. My SLK55 had a mesh style one and I rarely used it. Partly due to the hassle factor of putting it on and off, and partly due to the fact that the back draft wasn't that bad (and the weather isn't so cold down here either). But I like the idea of a clear one that can be left in place top up or down. So have you installed it yet? First impressions?

#25 ·
The BMW wind deflector is the mesh type. It works well but I don't have anything to compare it to. The dealer installed it because I ordered it along with the car. I've read other posts and don't think it's too difficult to install yourself.
I really just wanted the "stock" wind deflector rather than the plexiglas type. But after looking at the roadstersolutions photo I think it too looks pretty good.
Mine clicks in or out in about two seconds so it's really easy to remove, however I've just been leaving it in most of the time even with the top up.

#31 ·
I bought mine with the car as well...
But,
After driving once with it in, I decided I dont like looking through the mesh much - it will stay in the boot (trunk) unless I am planning a really long drive on the freeway.
Up to 100kph life is good without it - if it gets too breezy I put the windows up.

#26 ·
Thanks for the info regarding mangowalk.com. I went to their website to take a look (the rubber antenna is a big improvement over the OEM). Anyway, quick question. Their full compatibility list includes the E85 but not the E89. Did you check with them to see if the antenna would also fit the E89?

#27 ·
Wraith, ohhhh...I gotcha. That will be an awesome trip and experience! You will just have to spend a lot of time looking at your trip pictures while you are waiting for her to get to Seattle. Hopefully you will have a lot of topless driving in Europe as I suspect things are a bit rainy in WA in December?

I like your planning ahead with the windscreen and custom-fit luggage! Looking forward to hearing updates from drive through Europe!

Z4Golfer - I misunderstood, I thought BMW made a clear one as an added accessory and the mesh one was standard. My mistake as the SLK55 came with a mesh one as standard equipment and assumed BMW was the same deal. Good to know it is a quick install/uninstall. How's the visibility through it?

#29 ·
Daron,
According to the guys on the ZPost forum, they are compatible with the E89. Apparently it comes with different thread studs to fit any number of models. I saw pics and the base aligns perfectly (no gaps, same diameter) with the antenna base.

I figure the risk ($12) is low, but feeling pretty confident it will work with our E89's.

#30 ·
3" rubber antenna mast at Mangowalk it is then. Thanks Mr. Breeze.

#32 ·
I really don't mind looking through the mesh at all, i can see fine. I recently drove a friends 500 SL at night and things were pretty blurry so I expected the same with mine.
The weekend I picked up the car we drove around the cool Monterey peninsula at night with the top down, windows up and with the windscreen it was very comfortable.

#34 ·
Lux Good,
True, the conversation has evolved from sharing my obsession with watching the ship make her way to the states, to accessories/add-ons, but at least the subject has remained to be about the Z4 and not something too far off topic, but helpful info non the less. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.