BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Hitch-Mounted Bike Carrier

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mystic1 
#1 ·
Is anyone out there using the BMW hitch-mounted bike carrier, or alternately the non-hitch mounted one (but on the back of the vehicle - this may only be available in Europe)?

I'm hoping to get a first-hand opinion on how well this option works for 3-4 bikes before I take the plunge and buy/install the hitch. I turned up a number of posts on the hitch install (with the intentions of using a hitch mounted rack, but no one actually using the rack...)

Alternative is to do the roof mounted rack, but my wife is concerned about usability (for her getting the bikes on and off) and risk of scratching the X3's paint.

#2 ·
Is anyone out there using the BMW hitch-mounted bike carrier, or alternately the non-hitch mounted one (but on the back of the vehicle - this may only be available in Europe)?

I'm hoping to get a first-hand opinion on how well this option works for 3-4 bikes before I take the plunge and buy/install the hitch. I turned up a number of posts on the hitch install (with the intentions of using a hitch mounted rack, but no one actually using the rack...)

Alternative is to do the roof mounted rack, but my wife is concerned about usability (for her getting the bikes on and off) and risk of scratching the X3's paint.
I don't know if you could place more than two bikes on the roof using BMW OEM roof rack accessories. BTW it has a lifting/mounting arm, so scratching the paint would be unlikely.

#4 ·

I have a BVG (Bauer Vehicle Gear) hitch mounted bike rack that I use with my OEM BMW trailer hitch that I installed last year (2007 X3.)

The BVG is a few years old, and I am not sure what model it is, but it swings down for access as opposed to some of the more expensive and newer BVG racks that swing out as well as down.

I carry two bikes no problem and there is an add on clamp I can get form BVG to carry 4 bikes instead of two, although I have no need for that. There would be absolutely no problem carrying four bikes if I chose to do this, so I can highly recommend this rack

Sturdy as you can get - the reason I put on the OEM BMW hitch was so I could use this rack.

A great rack - can't go wrong with it!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

BB

#5 ·
I have the Yakima (Big Horn 4, I think) on my '07 E83 X3 that folds down from the hitch.

Pros: Easily accomodates 2 bikes (haven't tried 4)
Easy to swing down (but if your bikes are on it...well, they will eat pavement if
you're not careful)
Nice padding, includes rubber hold downs
Doesn't scratch paint

Cons: Weighs a *ton*

Hope that helps!

#7 ·
I have the Yakima (Big Horn 4, I think) on my '07 E83 X3 that folds down from the hitch.

Pros: Easily accomodates 2 bikes (haven't tried 4)
Easy to swing down (but if your bikes are on it...well, they will eat pavement if
you're not careful)
Nice padding, includes rubber hold downs
Doesn't scratch paint

Cons: Weighs a *ton*

Hope that helps!
+1 on everything.

#6 ·
I've had Thule racks on all of my vehicles, except for my current ride. I've used two different hitch racks (both Thule), as well as the Thule roof rack system...and never had a problem w/ any of them! Very pleased!

I have thrown my Thule roof racks on the X5 before, worked well (just had to buy different feet for it). ...I don't have a hitch on the X5.

I prefer to just put the bike in the back as it manages to stay cleaner inside the vehicle. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.