BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New problem with zhp

708 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ricks03 
#1 ·
Ok in sure some of you guys noticed a few of my posts here and the reason is because I checked curbed my car pretty bad. Long story short, I found another problem with my car and was wondering someone could help me with this one.
So I drove it today and when I got out of the car I noticed a particular odor (gear oil) I went to the back of the car and found that my diff oil is leaking from the left axle (driver side) but the side that I had checked curb was on the right side.
It looks like the axle shifted away from the diff. Here are some pics and I hope someone can help me figure something out. The first pic is the left axle
Auto part Automotive exhaust Suspension Pipe
Auto part Subcompact car Wheel Vehicle

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

See less See more
#2 ·
Yikes. Yep, your one side is out. There is a small wire like C clip that holds the stub axle into the diff. When they get worn, they can do what you show here. I would recommend pulling the stub axle out and replacing the seal and the wire retainer (see diagram #15 at the link below). But you might be able to just push it back in (you will need to hit it with a hammer) and it may not leak. What sucks for you is that the drivers side is a bit of a pain due to the exhaust. You can unbolt the muffler for a little extra wiggle room, I think it is 13mm (maybe 12mm).

Regardless you need to fix it asap because if the axle works out any further the diff won't work and you will be stuck.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=33_1185&hg=33&fg=05

#4 ·
Yikes. Yep, your one side is out. There is a small wire like C clip that holds the stub axle into the diff. When they get worn, they can do what you show here. I would recommend pulling the stub axle out and replacing the seal and the wire retainer (see diagram #15 at the link below). But you might be able to just push it back in (you will need to hit it with a hammer) and it may not leak. What sucks for you is that the drivers side is a bit of a pain due to the exhaust. You can unbolt the muffler for a little extra wiggle room, I think it is 13mm (maybe 12mm).

Regardless you need to fix it asap because if the axle works out any further the diff won't work and you will be stuck.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=33_1185&hg=33&fg=05
Smolck,
Do you know if by removing the bolts from the axle to the diff, I can just slide the drive flange out from the diff without any problem? Or do I need special tools to remove it?
I'm going to replace the seal, lock ring, dust covers and oil.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.