BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Blower Motor Stays On After Car is Off

46K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  damitintrblagai 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 BMW X5 4.4, when I turn the car off, the blower motor stays on, indefinitely (this is not the 16 minute delayed cool-down fan), and the ac does not work, and the climate control panel is black. this is the blower located just behind the dash board, propels air for AC. Key is out of the ignition, and I hear the fan, but no air is coming out of the vents. A second symptom (same problem I believe), when the key is in ignition and the car is on, the climate control panel is black, dead, no life, and my AC/heater is not operational, with or without the car being on. I replaced the FSU (Final Stage Unit, aka: Final Stage Resistor, aka: the hedgehog) - that seems to be the common recommendation, but in the case of myself and two others, that does not fix the problem. I have heard someone say it's due to a "sticky relay", but I have yet to discover which and where a relay is that affects the blower (I removed every relay from the trunk (passenger side), and under the hood (also passenger side), and the blower continued to blow. For any of you having this problem and want to save your battery, the blower fuse can be pulled out (located inside the glovebox, fuse furthest right and down).

Those are my symptoms, I have seen two other people in the world of Bimmer forums with these same symptoms, and no answers as of yet. FSU doesn't fix it, and it doesn't seem to be a fuse issue (I checked both AC fuses in the glove box)...

Please Help!

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you looked at a schematic for the blower?!?

Second, a dead AC system is NOT a reported symptom of the FSU issue. I'm going to guess your climate control module is out... but you are now into an area in which the old "look it up on the internet and throw parts at it to avoid a shop diagnostic charge" is becoming infeasible... find a good BMW mechanic, get a diagnostic done.

My 2 cents

A

#7 · (Edited)
I'm going to guess your climate control module is out..
I don't know exactly what this means, but the dealership mechanics told me that the AC control head needs replacing: $1,100. .
Yeah.

Although I don't know why you think these are "wacky symptoms": Display dead, no control, no AC...

Oh, there is no part called "AC control head". I'd say the part is one of these:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=FB33&mospid=47746&btnr=64_1057&hg=64&fg=20

$600 ish for the part. 30 minutes to install? Just guessing. Might need coding

Are you having it done? Or just got an estimate? If the latter, demand a part number for the part, assuming you were charged any labor/diagnostic fee.

A

#3 ·
FYI: wrong forum.

This happened to me once with my 530i out of the blue - it only turned off when I actually locked the car (stayed on after killing ignition and such). Only happened once, dealer said it was a bad ground..?

#4 ·
Same thing? AC display dead, no AC working, etc, etc? or 'same' as in the transient blower part of it?

#6 ·
Solved: AC Control Head Failure

I don't know exactly what this means, but the dealership mechanics told me that the AC control head needs replacing: $1,100. I'm picking up the car tomorrow and will know more then.

Thanks for your replies - i'll post a report later for the benefit of anyone else out there who runs across these same wacky symptoms.

#9 ·
ac delay

may account for fan staying on if stuck closed

change your K4 Relay
Had other problems, changed this no more delay

Start with on "MAX"
Turned temp to 70, make sure fan speed was turned all the way up, took off "auto", and re engaged recycle button (right side, push twice) {turned on when on MAX}

Leave ac on when you exit car, will start up again when restarted

Now blows great, will divert vents up when it gets too cold

This changing the K4 relay stopped the delay, other things gave me back my ac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.