BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

96 E36 328i resoration project

36K views 228 replies 22 participants last post by  jkmeisl 
#1 ·
So a few of you have seen my car already as i was thinkibg of just getting rid of it and starting fresh but ive decided to do a extensive restoration on the car as its rust and must have been in a front end collision of some kind. (see pictures) so im going to be slowly working on it through the next few months and hopefully have a finished car early next year. I had thoughts of changing the color because ill be painting every panel... But havent decided yet. Anyone done that job before please reply with how big of a job it is to make it look factory. Anyways just making a thread so i can keep everyone updated on how the project is coming along . Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Sedan

Here it is when i first got it to my shop.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sedan Bumper

First time into the shop ill get started Land vehicle Vehicle Car Compact car Family car

Front bumper cover off and lights out. Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Tire

And thats how it sits after day one
Bumper Automotive exterior Headlamp Automotive lighting Auto part

Thats all i could get done today but it went pretty fast im useing 320 grit and wet sanding. Ill go over it with 800 and then 1000 after primer.
Sent from my SGH-T989D using Bimmer App

See less See more
#118 ·
I know how you feel. This was my rotor after sitting over the winter:

Looks pretty bad, but it was all surface rust. This is what it looked like after full cleanup:

I plan on picking up the door trim set from Princess Auto too. I have to take my door panel off soon. Did you get the $15 Power Point set with the red ones?

#122 ·
No I haven't driven with it yet. I was going to get them done on a lathe but the cheapest I found was $25 Each rotor! I couldn't justify spending the $100 to have them done. I'll make sure I'm really careful when I first try them out.

#124 ·
#127 ·
Got a little bit more done today. Got the armrest and the joined consol off. Pics to follow

Attachments

#131 ·
I think Alpine White is pretty sweet. Not a big fan of the gray/silvers though. I rather have black, or white.

For mine, i really wanna keep it OEM so when i get it resprayed i will keep it the original colour, and if i want to change it after that i will get a wrap done. Throwing it out their, because you could always repaint it say white, but then after a while throw on a wrap to change it up for a bit. Protects the paint too.

#132 ·
I made alot if progress this week. Got the dash out of the car along with all remaining interior trim. Now im staring at a heater core yay. Never done one before but i got the manual and google so im sure it will go alone fine. I got the rad out yesterday and started cleaning out the wires around the front end. when i was leaving the shop i noticed a freind of mine pulling into the shop across from us with a 98 328ic convertable on a trailer. So ran over and talked to him for a bit the car has been parted out and bought pretty mich the unibody and misc parts but the engine, transmission, wheels, convertable top, and all removable body panels are gone. Paid $300 for it and all he wants is a few interior peices so i told him id buy the rest of it. So looks like i already have another project when this one is done

#135 ·
hey going to throw a question out there. I got this 98 328i convertible shell. and I was thinking of just swaping everything over from the 328 I have. I know I will need doors and different hood and fenders and all that but as far as the brakes, suspension, engine, transmission, axles, differential, and engine wiring, will that all swap over no problem??? or will it take modification?

#136 ·
pics of progress. the last ones are of a 2011 Yukon I polished for a friend. looked gray when I picked it up looks brand new now. had to deep cut, then use a color restore then swirl remover.

Attachments

#139 ·
yes everything has to be out of the car before I can properly put it on a rotation mount for rust proof and paint. and i like to take things apart haha.

Like the leather interior.You work like a pro.

Goog job with the polish.Looks great!
thanks man!

#140 ·
so I got to pulling the wires out of the trunk tonight. it was a pain trying to get some random sensor sitting over top of the filler neck in the fuel door. other then that it went pretty smooth.
here's some pics

Attachments

#143 ·
#144 · (Edited)
yes I have seen that, its so inspiring isnt it! reading that thread with all the work he did has motivated me to go through with a full restoration, not really that I need to or anything but I've always wanted to have a perfect e36 so ya. I ordered 2 new front fenders and the both rocker panels yesterday, i still need 3 more pieces. The rear Fender repair panels and also the tail light panel, the same one the guy used for the alpina. getting though's panels in and coated with rust bullet is my winter project, I'll slowly put it all back together over the spring and summer, hope to have it on the road around this time next year. after all the suspension, steering and brakes are done, then I 'll see to the engine, that way it will be a brand new car in 2 years. still havent picked a color yet... haha

#145 ·
It was very inspiring. However I dont have the tools, skills, money or a patient enough wife to let me do that! I do probably love Alpina's as much as he does though and I wish there were more in the country. I would consider importing one down the road but that may hamper my track car build should they ever build that new track.

Where are you getting the rear fender panel from? I have some rust on the drivers side behind the wheel well and I'm worried I may have to cut it out and weld in a new piece. Not worried about the cutting/welding part so as much as where to get a new panel that will match.

#146 ·
It was very inspiring. However I dont have the tools, skills, money or a patient enough wife to let me do that! I do probably love Alpina's as much as he does though and I wish there were more in the country. I would consider importing one down the road but that may hamper my track car build should they ever build that new track.

Where are you getting the rear fender panel from? I have some rust on the drivers side behind the wheel well and I'm worried I may have to cut it out and weld in a new piece. Not worried about the cutting/welding part so as much as where to get a new panel that will match.
There is an Alpina that (was) for sale at Sheni's Auto Trend there in Calgary. It was going for under $10K.

#147 ·
When was that? a guy on Project Technik had a blue 94 Alpina B3 in incredible shape and he wanted $15,000 originally. For less then $10k I don't expect the car to be in pretty good shape.

#149 ·
I remember that now. I've seen that listing before. Its been for sale for a long time now. I think when I first saw it, they were asking $11-12,000. Do you think that with the dealer plate on it they have been driving it around? I would compare Milage from the picture to the odometer if I was gonna buy it.

#152 ·
Got the magnaflow cat back off tonight. Just takin the rust off with phosphoric acid in the pic trying to decide wether to powder coat or hightemp paint. And should i leave the muffler stainless or should i color it the same the rest of the pipes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.