BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

"Floatiness" in handling when driving at higher speeds

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so lately with my steering in my 98 e36 m3 there's been some feel of "floating" at higher speeds. I was wondering if you guys knew what that could be or if you guys have ever experiences that before!! Thanks

#2 ·
Could you be more descriptive? It might just be normal.

Does the steering system make weird noises? Might be low on fluid (and you might have a leak). I'd try flushing it.

#5 ·
That is very odd. Like maybe your aerodynamics are changing? It could be normal... How fast are we talking? 100+?

#13 ·
Power steering rack moving about might make the entire front end feel like it is washing out at once?

Tie rods, ball joints, and so on unless both sides suddenly went out at once, not likely would do other things. But the rack is what centrally ties those tie rods together.

Also the rear trailing arm bushings or even the rear subframe to body rubber mounts would let the rear end track a little off center from the front, causing a similar feeling.

Get it going straight and at neutral throttle on flat ground, see if the car shifts left or right when you apply throttle or let off all at once. That is likely something in the rear suspension IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.