BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'99 M3 60K Brake Replacement

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pinecone 
#1 ·
I replaced the pads, rotors, and sensors on my wife's 1997 328i (123K). After the first wheel, I got the hang of it and the other three were quite easy, except for a few very tight caliper bolts on the front wheels. I later discovered that they required a very high torqe setting upon installation. Of course I also bled the brakes.

Now I feel confident to do the same on my son's '99 M3 (60K). I noticed that the rotors are position dependent. This is no problem, but what else do I need to know. Wow, the range of rotors and pads is confusing. We are looking for value, since he does not race the car. Seems like OEM quality would be fine. What comes stock on this car? What do you have that is comparable? My son claims that he wants Brembo, but I really don't want to spend more than the car is worth ;-)
I've got plenty of help to manually bleed the brakes, but I read that this method may cause master cylinder problems. This did not seem to happen when I did the 328i. I really don't want to invest in a power bleeder if I don't have to.

Do I really need to replace the rotors? I have been told (by everyone that sells rotors) that because the rotors are "soft" that these should be changed along with the pads. What do you think.

Thanks,
Lenny in Austin, Texas

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.