BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

10 speaker - Amplifier works with aftermarket stereo?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  charleskwinter 
#1 ·
Hello...

I have an M3 which somewhere along the way lost its original stereo. Someone had put an aftermarket in, however they did a horrible job of re-wiring the system.

I now have a better aftermarket stereo and I have been working at re-wiring the system. I have a Service Manual and I have wired everything properly as it should be stock, given that stock wires are going to an aftermarket stereo.

The stereo works, and although the rear amplifier is receiving 12 volts on the Red/White cable, there is no sound and I can't tell if the amplifier is even turning on.

HERE'S THE QUESTION... Is it possible that the original head unit was sending a special signal to the amplifier to turn on, and now that an aftermarket head unit is in place, the amplifier won't work? I've studied the wiring diagram extensively and I am confident that my wiring is correct. It seems like the amplifier is quite basic, receiving eight wires as speaker inputs, with an output of 20 wires for the ten separate speakers in the system.

I am today checking the internals of the amplifier for bad pieces, but I also wanted to ask if I am troubling myself with something that will never work . . . an aftermarket head unit with the original amplifier powering all 10 speakers. As I mentioned, I have consulted the Service Manual (Bentley Publishers) and can't really find an answer to this. The previous stereo installer had done such a bad job... even the two fuses under the hood (9,44) were blown so he/she had jacked power from the heater. . . and then they had cut all the amplifier wires and simply joined the amplifier speaker inputs with the speaker outputs to power all ten speakers off the aftermarket head unit. It was a mess.

I should also mention that after I installed and properly re-wired the NEW aftermarket head unit, it was working properly with speakers receiving sound while bypassing the stock amplifier. However after re-wiring the rear amplifier correctly, the head unit still works but there is no sound.

Thanks for the help, really...

-Charlie

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, basically, can anyone give me a strong argument that an aftermarket head unit will NOT work with the stock amplifier, and why? Otherwise I think there is a problem with my amplifier, which I am now investigating. Thanks!!

#3 ·
You might search bimmerforums.com under the Car and Audio section as it is much more active and more informed about this problem. I remember how this was solved but don't remember the solution. I recall it was some unusual power wire from the receiver to the amp but do the check, you may have a good deal of success there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.