BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

'95 M3 seems to lack low-end Torque

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  s50obd1stroker 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought two 1995 M3's in roughish shape... Both cars have their plusses and minuses, and most issues I'll have no problem sorting on my own.

Both cars have Aftermarket exhaust systems and silly hot air intakes (unshielded cones).

The puzzle for me is that one car seems to make decent low end torque and the other car just doesn't. They are about the same past 3500 or 4000 RPM but one pulls noticeably harder from idle to the power-band.

I was told by the PO that the torquier car has a software tune, but my understanding is that the gains people experience from one-size-fits-all software tunes is mostly in the driver's head. Is it possible that software could account for this type of (very noticeable) difference?

Is it possible that this could be an issue with VANOS? What are the typical symptoms associated with a VANOS failure (I'm not getting any CEL)?

Any other ideas?
THANKS!!

See less See more
#4 ·
wow!
helluva score.. I need to pick up a doppelgänger. :D

its called "maintenance"..
some get em.. some don't..

If its a "performance chip".. :jack:
It has a altered fuel map that will provide better off the line *feel*.

If you did a leak down test & compression you would probably notice some differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.