BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

has anyone done the Dinan upgrade on a 750

7K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  ngraz617 
#1 ·
I am trying to decide if i want the Dinan SW upgrade to my 2009 750LI.
I know i will like the power, but is it still a drivable car. 90% of the time i will not be using the power this beast will put out.

#15 ·
My car is being programmed as we speak! Stage 2. It's amazing, worth every penny
Can you let us know how this affects your mileage? I'm sure your first couple of weeks are going to suck because you are going to be racing everywhere.:D Hopefully when you return to "normal" driving your mileage will be almost the same.

#3 ·
There's plenty of 5 Series owners with Dinan Stage 2 and I don't think I've read one complaint.

#4 · (Edited)
I really want to do it, but my dealer is just getting the program and have not given me a price. Stage 1 is the program and stage 2 is program with more aggressive shifting correct? I am also curious to see how big of a difference it makes with the larger/heavier 7 series.

#5 ·
The 5 Series has Stages 1,2, & 3, where Stage 3 is designed for a lower back-pressure. The 7 Series only gets 1 & 2. Stage 1 shifts softer in 1st & 2nd gears, whereas Stage 2 shifts aggressively in every gear when asked. Most 5 Series owners prefer Stage 2. BTW, I have Stage 3 and it doesn't feel any different from Stage 2.

#6 ·
From Dinan webssite: Stage 1 & stage 2 are software upgrades.
Stage 1 Performance Engine Software/Boost Upgrade - 750
The results of Dinan***8217;s tuning are nothing short of breathtaking, with the added boost and related re-calibration producing a maximum output of 495 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 573 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm.

Stage 2 Performance Engine Software/Boost Upgrade - 750i
After many hours of further research, tuning and testing we have improved on our hugely popular Stage 1 Performance Software. Our team was able to make Stage 2 much faster by.. improving turbo response across the power-band. This tuning is especially noticeable in the first two gears, now catapulting the car off the line. Tuned for a smooth power-band to put down predictable and even power in all gears and throttle positions. This smoothness improves the quality of the shifting and the overall drivability.

From a standing start (with the traction control fully disengaged) all it takes is the press of the throttle to the floor to get the tires spinning. The everyday practicality of a full size sedan with the fun of a sports car, this is the definition of "Performance Without Sacrifice".

With Dinan***8217;s software, your 750i will be capable of achieving its natural top speed as the governor has been removed. And as always, Dinan matches the new car warranty coverage for up to 4 years or 50,000 miles, including the possibility of consequential damages. No one offers better performance or backs it up with such comprehensive warranty coverage.

#26 ·
I just got my car back from the dealer. I haven't had a chance to open it up, but it definitely feels faster and lighter.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Bimmer App
The Dinan tune doesn't affect mpg. It didn't on my old X5 and it doesn't on the 7. I really haven't been in a situation where I can really open it up, but the power is certainly noticeable.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Bimmer App
Are you sure you needed this upgrade? How many times have you driven your car now without hammering on it. I only drive my car 2-3 times a week, but I hammer on it every time I drive, this cars a frecking blast. My buddy has a non-upgraded 7 and it feels like driving Grandma Buick. Bang for your buck for the Dinan upgrade is insane.

#11 ·
Sounds like Stage 2 is geared more like the Sport and Sport+ mode. Is it possible to have the shifting more like the Comfort setting when just doing the casual driving or is it all or nothing?

#25 ·
To putt through a parking lot, you really need to put it in comfort. It kinda jerks too much in sport just feathering the gas.

#12 ·
You can start with Stage 1 and if that isn't aggressive enough just pay the difference and get Stage 2. If you don't like that, they can knock it back to Stage 1. IIRC, Dinan has a pretty good refund policy if you aren't happy.

#13 · (Edited)
I have really been considering the Dinan upgrade so I stopped by the dealer today to see if I could make a deal. Just so happened that the Dinan rep was there with his 5 series. His car was equipped with the stage 2 that provided I think 6 more hp and a few extra pounds of torque over stage 1. Now the test drive!! I started the car and immediately noticed the Dinan exhaust. The rumble was incredible. I noticed a definite boost in power. The car accelerated much faster than stock. As we were driving I was trying to figure out how the 5 series would be compared to the larger 7. Not sure how much more a 7 weighs more than a 5, but I would guess 600-700lbs. In any case the car ran great. On the highway at 70mph and stomping the accelerator the car pulled hard. Still waiting to see if the dealer will cut me any kind of break. I won't hold my breath, but I can at least dream. I will let you know what I come up with.

#17 · (Edited)
That***8217;s good to know. My dealer said that it would affect the gas mileage and the Dinan website eludes to the fact it may use ***8220;slightly more gas***8221;.

MPG with Performance Software on a turbo car?:
This is the beauty of a turbo engine. When the engine is not in boost (below about 3K rpm) it is sipping gas like a small non-turbo engine would. It is only in higher boost levels that more fuel is used. It all depends on your right foot, if you drive gently the car will use the same or slightly more gas than stock and if you drive it at wide open it will use more.

#22 ·
My dealer gave me a little break on the price, but their estimate included $60 for labor. I'm not going to argue it, as they are treating me fair. I have my appointment to take the car in first thing Friday morning for the stage 1. I'm gonna hit the track tomorrow so I can establish some base times to compare to after the upgrade.

#27 · (Edited)
I am having the Dinan Stage 1 installed tomorrow morning so I went to the local race track to get a base line on how the stock 750li does in the qtr mile

1st run
13.7173 @ 99.91 mph. I let up before crossing the line:rolleyes:

2nd run
13.4773 @ 105.98 mph

3rd run
13.4106 @ 106.26 mph

4th run
13.5143 @ 105.09

I ran in the Sport+ mode and turned the AC off. I had a little over a half tank of gas, which I know probably slowed me down a tad. Most cars beat me out of the hole, but if I could catch them by the 1/8th point, I knew I had them. I won 3/4 races. And NO, I wasn't racing pickup trucks or anthing.:p

#28 ·
I am having the Dinan Stage 1 installed tomorrow morning so I went to the local race track to get a base line on how the stock 750li does in the qtr mile

1st run
13.7173 @ 99.91 mph. I let up before crossing the line:rolleyes:

2nd run
13.4773 @ 105.98 mph

3rd run
13.4106 @ 106.26 mph

4th run
13.5143 @ 105.09

I ran in the Sport+ mode and turned the AC off. I had a little over a half tank of gas, which I know probably slowed me down a tad. Most cars beat me out of the hole, but if I could catch them by the 1/8th point, I knew I had them. I won 3/4 races. And NO, I wasn't racing pickup truck or anthing.:p
It will great to see the improvement in the quarter mile. If you think your cars is fast, just wait. The Dinan makes it a beast. You will love it. My 750i base line before Dinan 0-60 was 5.0, after stage 1 4.3, stage 2 4.2. Never checked the quarter mile.

#29 ·
Stage 1 Installed

I got the car back today and it runs great. Test and Tune is every Thursday night at the local track, so I will let everyone know how much of a difference the Stage 1 makes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.