BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

z4m: Aftermarket intakes

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  basar13 
#1 ·
What companies currently make aftermarket intakes for a z4m? Any dyno proven gains or losses? How much louder is it at wide open throttle?

#13 ·
It cost me £400 in the UK, with all shipping and taxes (approx $800 - so prices sound right quoted above).

I didn't do a before and after, but another guy in the UK did and saw a 10bhp increase on a Dynojet Dyno....

That clip is with just the filter, no exhaust.

This is a clip from inside the car, again before I had the exhaust fitted...

#15 · (Edited)
It took me about an hour to fit myself. By the time you've removed the standard airbox, and then reused the MAF and inlet tube in the Gruppe system, fitted it all up and installed in the car - it will take you a good 45 mins the first time I'd have thought. I can take it apart now though (just recently cleaned/re-oiled the filter) and refit in about 10 mins.

I ordered direct from http://www.gruppemeurope.com/ , but all they will do is forward your request to someone in Japan (where it is shipped from). But at least you deal with someone that speaks English :)

CA are overpriced IMO, but useful if you want someone else to do a lot of the legwork (importing/sourcing of parts etc). I would rather save the money and do it myself though.

#19 ·
No, 10 minutes for me to take mine out and back in (the main filter element), not for a conversion, including the removal of existing box, moving the MAF etc etc. I'm sure I could probably fit one from scratch quicker than before mind you, maybe half an hour?

#17 ·
Thanks for posting the vids sixspeed :thumbup: The intake sounds great, I'm sure it sounds even better with exhaust too.

FYI for phat: AFE currently makes an intake. From what I've found out it makes no peak HP over stock, but increase low and mid-range power a lot and costs only $300ish. Unfortunately it looks like ricer crap. But it does sound nearly as good as the Gruppe-M. Dinan is supposed to have their CAI and (more importantly) software out "1st quarter or '08". Of course, being Dinan, they will probably run late. But of course, being Dinan, they will probably make the most HP. I'm waiting for them, but mostly because I want the software too so I'll get the full benefit of the CAI+TBs+Cat-Back+Software. I would assume it'll net out like the previous S54 mods they made for the E46 M3, or at least 369hp. As with all Dinan estimates, it is conservative.

#18 ·
Thanks for posting the vids sixspeed :thumbup: The intake sounds great, I'm sure it sounds even better with exhaust too.

FYI for phat: AFE currently makes an intake. From what I've found out it makes no peak HP over stock, but increase low and mid-range power a lot and costs only $300ish. Unfortunately it looks like ricer crap. But it does sound nearly as good as the Gruppe-M. Dinan is supposed to have their CAI and (more importantly) software out "1st quarter or '08". Of course, being Dinan, they will probably run late. But of course, being Dinan, they will probably make the most HP. I'm waiting for them, but mostly because I want the software too so I'll get the full benefit of the CAI+TBs+Cat-Back+Software. I would assume it'll net out like the previous S54 mods they made for the E46 M3, or at least 369hp. As with all Dinan estimates, it is conservative.
Thanks for the update man.

#20 ·
i dont think it has gains for performance other then lowering hp in summer...

i think it should be done only for the sound, for performance csl carbon airbox would be better too... but of corse it costs more...

Its too much paying xxx$ for maybe 3 hp but of corse sound is awsome i m sure it increases the joy of the car alot...

does anyone knows how much more hp would carbon airbox would gain compared to intakes ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.