BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What's Next For You?

6K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  dkreidel 
#1 · (Edited)
I drove my father in law's 911 Carrera 4S and I am officially hooked on Porsche. What a drive!!! Sport+ with the Porsche PDK transmission is insane. Car won't shift until it hits redline. I was screaming in 2nd gear at high speed and high RPM on the highway and it would not shift until I hit the beginning of the redline. I thought it was broken lol. This thing really sticks to the road. I felt like I was in a machine and not a car. Almost didnt want to get back in mine after lol. Driving a GT and SAV so long, I forgot what a true sports car feels like.

Definitely my next car, or some variation of it. I don't want AWD but would love turbo.

What's next for you?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App

#2 ·
No idea, but here are the contenders, in no specific order:

Another 6er
M4
M5
F-Type
XKR
X6 50i v. X6 M

While a 911 (Carrera S) is tempting, I think I'd needs therapist to undergo the process of building one. Buying off the lot would be impossible for me, and deciding on options from their gazillion choices would likely cause me to take up a destructive habit unless given a limitless bank account. I already tried to build a 911 to my liking once, and I had to stop when I got to $125k and still felt like I was making too many compromises. Maybe one day, but I don't see it happening next time around.

#4 ·
Yeah that Porsche BYO is insane but I can make it work :) just gotta figure out the "must haves" and then work from there.

Curious to see the M4 when it comes out. Gonna be tough to go to an X6 from a 650. I have zero desire to drive my wife's. Actually, I kinda get upset when we have to take the X6 as opposed to the 650 but hey, she wants an SUV. Just glad she will only get the big engine variant. That's me though. Maybe you will find the transition less dull :)

#3 ·
Well, technically, the 650xi will be the next car for me. :rofl:

#6 ·
I did test drive bunch of Porsche's before the 650. They handle perfect, but the ride in 911 / Cayman / Boxter is too stiff. My friend who is in his early 40s had one on lease and let it go for the same reason. If you have even minor back problems, you know what I mean...

The Panamera is a spectacular ride (4S or Turbo), handles better than the 650, and the interior is more inspiring. Could not put up with the exterior though. I've seen the concept Grand Tourer and it is really much more appealing. It will be tough to decide between that and the i8...

#10 ·
I know what you mean about the back. I had to recline the seat a bit more and it was fine after that... and I don't even have back problems. But it was definitely tensing up with the seat more upright.

Agree on the Panamera. Some like the look, but for me, I just can't stomach it.

Firstly, deal just reached to "drop the puck"!:) These are different cars in so many ways. I had ordered a 2013 Carrera S in Platinum Silver. Two weeks from delivery, I was visiting my BMW dealer who coincidentally owns the Porsche dealer as well. Lucky for me!! A carbon black 650 had just come in and I spotted it. Cancelled the Porsche and the rest is history. Yes, the 911 handles unlike almost any car out there but to me, the visuals are as important. I am more impressed with the 650s interior and when I look at the cars side by side, the 911 now looks a bit dated. For me, I made the correct decision and I couldnt be happier.
I know!!! My plans of sleeping in were shattered when my wife woke me up to tell me about the end of the lockout. Awesome, but the news could've waited lol. Not like there's a game today.

Yes the 911 does look dated, especially the interior but I see it as pure driving sex. Visuals get old. The drive never does though IMO. The interior of the Porsche is reminiscent of an aircraft cockpit to me. Very boxy and very little rounded edges. Looks like a Cessna lol

+1. I know my car will never make it to a track, so real world driving was a higher priority. However, it seemed like there were a lot if performance options that would make a difference in a daily driver (as opposed to a track pack type package), so I didn't think I could pass on those without feeling like I was getting a stripped out 911 in terms of performance/handling.

I've seen some very nice 911 interiors, but, to build this, it required >$10k in a la carte interior options (trim here, leather there, contrast stitching on this, exterior color on that, blah, blah, blah). By the time you get your desired interior and the performance options, the option list makes the ~$20k options on the 6er look downright cheap. It was hard enough paying $650 for ceramic controls.

Building a 911 and not caring about how the interior looks is the way to go. I just know I'm incapable of this.
Regardless of all those performance options, its still a Porsche. They didn't build their reputation on a modern active suspension or PDK or anything like that. If I have to skip on a couple, then so be it. ... but I probably will be checking all those boxes ;)

Like you said, interior comes second in the Porsche. Interior visuals get old to me anyway. I don't need leather this, leather that, contrast stitching, painted air vents, yadda yadda yadda lol. Its all about the drive. I will never track it either but it's good for those close encounters. Living in the NY Metro Area, close encounters are not uncommon.

#7 ·
Firstly, deal just reached to "drop the puck"!:) These are different cars in so many ways. I had ordered a 2013 Carrera S in Platinum Silver. Two weeks from delivery, I was visiting my BMW dealer who coincidentally owns the Porsche dealer as well. Lucky for me!! A carbon black 650 had just come in and I spotted it. Cancelled the Porsche and the rest is history. Yes, the 911 handles unlike almost any car out there but to me, the visuals are as important. I am more impressed with the 650s interior and when I look at the cars side by side, the 911 now looks a bit dated. For me, I made the correct decision and I couldnt be happier.

#8 ·
Yes, the 911 handles unlike almost any car out there but to me, the visuals are as important. I am more impressed with the 650s interior and when I look at the cars side by side, the 911 now looks a bit dated. For me, I made the correct decision and I couldnt be happier.
+1. I know my car will never make it to a track, so real world driving was a higher priority. However, it seemed like there were a lot if performance options that would make a difference in a daily driver (as opposed to a track pack type package), so I didn't think I could pass on those without feeling like I was getting a stripped out 911 in terms of performance/handling.

I've seen some very nice 911 interiors, but, to build this, it required >$10k in a la carte interior options (trim here, leather there, contrast stitching on this, exterior color on that, blah, blah, blah). By the time you get your desired interior and the performance options, the option list makes the ~$20k options on the 6er look downright cheap. It was hard enough paying $650 for ceramic controls.

Building a 911 and not caring about how the interior looks is the way to go. I just know I'm incapable of this.

#13 ·
Is the engine in the X6 M the same as in the M6?
Don't ask me to explain it - leave that to Bönz ;) - but I'm pretty sure they're different. I think that's the old V8 they modified to get 555 hp whereas the M5/M6 use an enhanced version of the one in the 5, 6, and 7 boosting from 445 hp (previously 407 hp #notbitter :( ) to 560 hp.

#18 ·
+1 My NJ friend is correct. The TU upgrade also included increased boost and a higher compression ratio if memory serves.

I suspect the same is true for the N63Tu versus the N63. It's the boost and CR that results in the HP increase, not the vlavetronic.

#17 ·
My next car after the F02 was supposed to be the F10 M5. I traded the 7er early and opted to go with the 6er because M5 allocation was hard to come by. Overall, I am very happy with the 6er but I don't think a coupe is right for me. I had the past three models of the 7 and I think sedan suits me better. With that said, I definitely want something more powerful and I've want an M for as long as I can remember but something always came up. Hopefully it will be an F10 M5 for me!

#19 ·
Back to the OP: I really have no idea what my next car will be. If you asked me this 10 months into my M3 lease, I never would have guessed the F13 - it didn't exist. So 2 years from now things could change. Then again, I always seem to end up back in a BMW. I'm really a coupe kind of guy (the 2 door kind), so my options tend to be limited. Since Japan and the US don't make anything in this class, I can say with 90% certainy that whatever I get will be European (and most likely German). And please don't gag me with the CTS. I don't care how fast it is, it's just fugly. (My opinion, no flame please).

#21 ·
I believe when adding valvetronic, BMW has an option to 1) tune for more power with the same efficiency or 2) tune for more efficiency with the same power. The S63Tü went with option 2 and the N63Tü went with option 1. Now there's a small detail that I haven't seen seen mentioned, in 2013 the 650 went from a 3.08 final drive ratio to a 2.81, which hurts acceleration in the name of efficiency. So in 2013, BMW went with more power and efficiency on the 650, but what I don't know is the net effect on acceleration. I know BMW claims it's faster, but I sure would love to see an independent test.

#22 ·
I've stated this in another thread. Valvetronic is only a throttling system. It is more effective on a normally aspirated engine as it reduces intake vacuum and theoretically improves the fuel mixture by inducing additional swirl. By itself, valvetronic does not and cannot increase power (assuming equal maximum valve lift). All the power increase on both the S63 and N63 Tu's comes from increased boost, CR and other related software changes. Valvetronic may play a role in maintaining efficiency/emissions with the increased power of the Tu engines, but it doesn't add power.

CR is mechanical. It is the volumetric ratio of the combustion chamber with the piston at TDC (top dead center) to the bottom of its stroke. The larger the ratio (more compression) the more power, efficiency and potential for pre-ignition (bad). Forced induction engines raise cylinder pressure by compressing the intake charge, effectively increasing the compression ratio. That's why boosted engines typically have a lower mechanical CR. That's also why we need to use premium fuel. It has higher resistance to pre-ignition. Intercooling also reduces potential for detonation.

Then there's ignition timing, valve overlap, valve timing and fuel injection timing. All these parameters are computer controlled and have a direct impact on power, efficiency and emissions. Bottom line: The N63 is capable of just as much power as the N63 Tu. Maintaining emissions and reliability while doing so with aftermarket SW and mods is the sticky point.

BTW. I have read (not experienced) that valvetronic actually has worse throttle response than a regular butterfly system. :dunno:

Good catch on the final drive Dunderhi. I hadn't noticed. In theory this would hurt acceleration off the line even with the slight additional engine torque. But given the 8 speed tranny and all that power (either engine), it really comes down to a good launch - especially with RWD. The higher drive ratio should result in better mpg, assuming you're not Southy running around in Sport mode all the time. It is odd that BMW giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other.

So Southy, you can relax. WIth the simpler more responsive standard throttle, lower rear end ratio and some after market boost - our 2012's should kick 2013's butt. :rofl:

#23 ·
So Southy, you can relax. WIth the simpler more responsive standard throttle, lower rear end ratio and some after market boost - our 2012's should kick 2013's butt. :rofl:
Haha. All of that sleep lost for nothing...

#25 ·
If they want to compete with their German brethren in the upcoming years, they will. :rofl:

#31 ·
Technically, I'm already on my "next" post-6er Coupe, the Gran Coupe, and I'm loving it.... but, I'm always looking / contemplating / considering. I'm currently enamored with the thought of the brand new Range Rover, although I can't imagine making that move. In the end, I'm just a BMW guy. So, I'd probably supplement rather then replace... a 4 vert, maybe? The new X5? Time will tell.

#32 ·
Jag and Range Rover keep tugging at me, but I adore my BMW. I think I'll have to get the British bug outta my system, but it's likely going to be a while. Gotta say though, the naturally aspirated (plain) XK is a pretty good deal at about $76k to $80k. I drove one a couple of months ago, and it was pretty impressive. It didn't have the speed of the 650i, but it felt pretty quick and sounded amazing. It's probably plenty of power for a daily driver, but the XKR is only a little more money and gets that crazy supercharger. :)

#33 ·
I don't know why, but Jag has never done a thing for me. I haven't even bothered to test-drive any of the current generation cars.

#34 ·
I didn't look when I was researching my last purchase - the 6er - but I was tempted by the XKR. While it was tempting, Jag's history of unreliability, etc. was worrisome. I know they've supposedly gotten better, but I really didn't want to buy a money pit or anything that would require significant funds after taking delivery.

I didn't really plan on test driving the XK. It just kinda happened when I saw one sitting outside (Mobile typically only has one on the lot at a time and it's on the showroom floor) and was peeping in the windows. The sales guy practically talked me into it, and I didn't want to be rude :rofl:

#35 ·
May not be a choice when you're ready Southy. I'm not sure Jag will be around much longer. It would be a shame for such a historical marque to disappear. I did actually look at Jags this last round, but since I lease and Jags have such low residuals, the dealer never would have met my price point.

#36 ·
I had the previous generation Range Rover and when the truck actually was on the road Ioved it... Reliability left a lot to be desired... And the new model is a bit underwhelming to me.. I will temper that by saying I have yet to see one in person... I have the X6 bug pretty bad... If the next X6 is as awesome and the current one.. That may very well be the choice..

#38 ·
I have the X6 bug pretty bad... If the next X6 is as awesome and the current one.. That may very well be the choice..
I saw the next generation X5 mule out on the back high speed track today while we were doing some exercises on the main track. It was still wearing significant camo, but it looked good next to the current X5 tracking behind it. If the X5 looks good, then the X6 should be stunning.

#39 ·
With three 650i in a row do I dare consider a 650 GC?

#40 ·
(Yes!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.