BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How fast have you gone?

6K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  AzNMpower32 
#1 ·
I have to say, noticing they changed the max speed from 150 to 130 is A OK with me. I can't imagine driving 130 mph and what the look on the officer's face might be. he might actually pull out his gun. lol

The fastest I think I've gone is 104...and that's plain wrong. lol What's the fastest you have gone?

#3 ·
2007 335i convertible with Proceed and 19 inch (225M) with non-RFT's -150 mph with top up, 130 mph with top up in South Carolina and Upstate New York.

2007 X3- 130 mph on I-26

2011 335is convertible 140 mph on the Autobahn (9/10). Waiting for PCD next month, but probably won't go after market as the IS has enough torque/horse power. The Proceed got me quite a few speeding tickets, but none in the X3.

#5 · (Edited)
+1. The speed limiter is tire-speed rating dependent.

In Germany, I've done in excess of 200km/h legally. In the US, I've done high speeds on roads that permit it, but for liability reasons, I'm not going to post that exact number. Suffice it to say, it was quite schnell. Lots of room to go fast in VA and NC, but I can't risk my driver's licence that often.

There is far more joy when I whip around country roads at speed though :) Now that's what I care about, slinging around hairpin bends and squealing the tires.

#7 · (Edited)
Wow...you guys are brave. It's not just being afraid to get caught but I would be a bit nervous if it involved turns. I remember learning in drivers ed when I was in high school that the roads are designed to accommodate I think 30 over (with respect to turns etc).

Anyway I was just curious.

Thanks for the info on the tires. In the US with the RFs it will be 130. All adds say electronically limited.

And Az, I certainly understand. VA doesn't allow radar detectors. Anyone would have to be nuts to go that fast without radar detectors. Even with it, you would have no time to slow down...lol I just keep laughing at what the officer's face would be. How would he catch up? First he would be stationed sideways. Then he would read the radar "130" then he would say "Oh Shix". Then he would turn his ignition on and start trying to catch up to you. His car probably goes 0-130 in 20 seconds...lol By the time he is going 130 you'd be far. I guess he'd hope the siren and flashing lights might convince you to slow down...lol...If not that then the helicopter...lol

Oh and for liability purposes, none of us can be held liable because this is just an imagination fantasy thread. Nobody has ever done these thing officers;)

#8 · (Edited)
And Az, I certainly understand. VA doesn't allow radar detectors. Anyone would have to be nuts to go that fast without radar detectors. Even with it, you would have no time to slow down...lol I just keep laughing at what the officer's face would be. How would he catch up? First he would be stationed sideways. Then he would read the radar "130" then he would say "Oh Shix". Then he would turn his ignition on and start trying to catch up to you. His car probably goes 0-130 in 20 seconds...lol By the time he is going 130 you'd be far. I guess he'd hope the siren and flashing lights might convince you to slow down...lol...If not that then the helicopter...lol
Clearly you haven't driven in Virginia often enough. But that's okay, because my friends from MD are often bewildered when they get speeding tickets. In fact, one time it happened in my X3 when my friend was driving (it was a multi-hour trip, we switched drivers) and passed a patrol car driving the other way. Received a ticket for 61 in a 45 zone, although we were just exiting the town and he resumed rural speed too quickly before the 60mph sign. We had been doing over 100mph prior to that, but that was back in the day before I knew the difference between a divided versus limited-access highway. I no longer permit anything over 110km/h (68mph) unless it's up to interstate specs for safety reasons (traffic turns directly onto the highway, no ramps or merge lanes; US 15 from Frederick to the PA state line is an example).

Off the interstate, most, if not all county police and sheriffs have moving radar installed in the vehicle. They simply have to be driving in the other direction, get your speed, and hook a U-turn which is easy as most highways in VA are divided highways, not limited-access.

Of course, stationary radar is preferred on a limited-access highway, but otherwise it's much more convenient for an officer to simply drive up and down a certain road, and measure traffic speeds without being stationary. VA is a low-tax state so towns and counties need that revenue. The low fatality rate is a side benefit. No ticket quota exists.

I use a radar detector (V1) and so do many seasoned drivers. The benefits and relatively low cost of a detector ticket outweigh the cost of a speeding ticket. In 3 years, I've gotten one detector ticket, versus countless times where it's saved me.

#12 ·
Funny. When I had my Toyota Corolla, my friend and I were taking turns driving as we went to Montreal. I was relaxing and talking and all of a sudden I felt like we were going too fast. I was like "What are you doing?" He said "They don't play around here. This is the real deal...like the Autobahn. It's not all corny and slow like the US."

I was like "what?". He said "look". I looked at the sign and I said "Oh...that is km/h...slow down". lol They don't put the km/h next to the number. lol It was something like 90km/hr or 95km/hr. I still like to tease him about that.

...the Autobahn...lol If a Canadian cop had caught us...lol

#16 · (Edited)
Driving in NC and SC is fun. Although I-85 in SC is moderately hilly and speed-enforced, I took I-77 down from CLT to Columbia. Goes in my book as a segment that's safe to treat as derestricted between mile marker 77 and 24. Road conditions and sightlines are excellent, traffic moves fast in both lanes so there isn't a danger of slow-moving traffic.

Although no speed record, I set cruise control at some of the highest cruising speeds ever in the 325i.

• Official Limit: 70mph [45 minimum]
  • Flow in the right lane: 70-75mph
  • Cruise control speeds: 130-140km/h (81-87mph)
  • Touching 160km/h (100mph) at times on the left
  • my Ø speed: 128,8 km/h (80mph)
  • Ø consumption: 7,3 l/100km (33,2 US mpg)

Could have gone faster, no doubt, but that felt superfluous and ultimately unsustainable.

#17 ·
How fast have you gone?
Uh, just in case there are any law enforcement folks out there, let's just say I've gone pretty fast. :)

There are some very long flat floating bridges nearby here (like 2 miles long) where you can get up to speed with a reasonable assurance there isn't a cop anywhere nearby -- there's no place for them to pull over and hide from you. Just to be on the safe side, it's best to wait until like 5 AM in the morning. Suffice to say that I've told my 650i with sport package to go, uh, mach schnell, and it does!

#18 ·
Pretty cool although I'm not sure what a floating bridge is and it sounds dangerous to be going fast on any kind of bridge. lol How can you be sure there isn't a cop coming from the other direction (their radars still work).

Stay safe. I'm not encouraging danger. I would like to try top speed once. I wonder how fast they allow you to go at the performance center in SC. It would probably be safer to do it on a racetrack.

#20 ·

177mph with top down :).... just cant hold gas pedal anymore after looking at my speed

#21 · (Edited)
In my X3 I have topped it out several times. Around 135 give or take.

I have topped out every vehicle I have ever owned.

In some cases blown the engine.

On a motorcycle 160 mph

In a car 290 kph on the Autobahn

Hypothetically speaking of course---hehe

However, my younger brother is considered the crazy one as he has hit close to 300 mph in a hi altitude free fall.

I draw the line at 200 mph haha

This is exactly why I am waiting to see how this X3 performs. If its as good as the specs say I should be happy a bit longer. If not it's onto the S4 and a chip upgrade.

#22 ·
I can't imagine a single place in MD that I'd want to speed that quickly on. There's either too much traffic or unsuitable road engineering/conditions. I-70 past Hagerstown and I-68 are my favourite stretches of highway in the state, but even there I'd cap it at 130km/h only on the downhills.

#23 · (Edited)
Seriously can't imagine how you can enjoy how a BMW handles as slow as you drive :rofl:.

#24 ·
Need for Speed

Max 245kph on the autobahn in a rented Audi S4, I know, but it was raining after all. BMW limits the M cars to 108 mph :( when you pick them up in Europe and they set the electronic speed warning to remind you.

Looking for a place to go go, I love "on ramps" (long straight ones) onto interstates, just let off and blend into the flow on the highway. No fuzzies on the ramps for sure.:bigpimp:

#31 ·
What did you invest in? A jammer?

Going to need one if I get the 35i

#34 · (Edited)
I've discovered the X3's capabilities time and time again on the roads in the Appalachian Range and Blue Ridge in central VA. The roads there can be nearly as good as what is found in the Alps of Germany/Austria. Here's one from Highland County, a nice cambered corner at the beginning/end of a mountain gradient. Hitting the corners on a 9-10% downhill gradient at 70km/h puts a lot of weight on one corner of the vehicle, but the stiff suspension handles it quite well.

Seeing as how I average 1 moving violation per year and have paid $700 altogether the last 3 years to 2 localities in the state, I'll choose wisely. Truth be told, I always get caught when I'm not intentionally going fast, rather when I commute home or somewhere routine.

In the interest of disclosure, I've done a couple track/car control days so although I never imagine to be a F1 driver, I have some basic knowledge.

#37 ·
Truth be told, I always get caught when I'm not intentionally going fast, rather when I commute home or somewhere routine.
This, IMHO, is the key advantage of having the Head Up Display option -- you're always aware of your speed since it's "floating" above your hood. No joking, the HUD has saved me at least $1000 in tickets over the past 5 years.

#35 · (Edited)
How fast in a car? -- 153 MPH in my wife's 2008 535Xit on the A9 in Germany during our 2nd ED. I'm not sure how we were able to go 153 MPH when the car is supposed to be speed limited to 150 MPH -- but 155 MPH was on the speedo and the GPS confirmed an actual 153MPH. Maybe that's something I'll need to have 60 Minutes investigate. For details on how fast on a bike PM me...

Attachments

#39 ·
please record you speeds here so i can have them engraved on your tombstones

easy now the greater the speed the grater the damage
regards
gary
Unlike Ireland, the US is quite big and has rather monotonous stretches of motorways. In Virginia, we have to drive far for services. Everything is an hour away. Usually, the next big city or town is 60 minutes or more.

I will admit that there's little reason to be jetting more than 160km/h even on a speed run. On the absolute fastest stretches in rural VA and NC, I usually set cruise at 140km/h.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.