BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2010 650i w/26K mi: Should I keep it

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mtnboy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently inherited this fantastic car from my father. Dinian put on an air box, cat back and some other stuff (enough points to get the letters). For his last two years, I would fly down and drive him up and down the California Coast. With all the inherent emotional baggage that goes along with this decision, I would love some practical advice.

As far as I go, I love the car but if I bought one, it would probably be smaller, manual and a coup. I live in oregon and regularly hit the paved forest service roads (no police), so lots of curves but with somewhat rough roads. I just got a divorce and my wife took my beloved 2002 525it wagon with a manual. I regularly worked on this car (brakes, engine sensors, oil service, etc.) and am not sure about how DIY the 650i is. I am kind of drawn to another wagon, but the convertible is really growing on me. I make about $75k/yr.

So, I’ll just open it up and see what advice flows in.

Thanks

#4 ·
Hello,

I recently inherited this fantastic car from my father. Dinian put on an air box, cat back and some other stuff (enough points to get the letters). For his last two years, I would fly down and drive him up and down the California Coast. With all the inherent emotional baggage that goes along with this decision, I would love some practical advice.

As far as I go, I love the car but if I bought one, it would probably be smaller, manual and a coup. I live in oregon and regularly hit the paved forest service roads (no police), so lots of curves but with somewhat rough roads. I just got a divorce and my wife took my beloved 2002 525it wagon with a manual. I regularly worked on this car (brakes, engine sensors, oil service, etc.) and am not sure about how DIY the 650i is. I am kind of drawn to another wagon, but the convertible is really growing on me. I make about $75k/yr.

So, I'll just open it up and see what advice flows in.

Thanks
Seems like the mileage is low and it's still under warranty so service should not be an issue. I would definitely hold onto the 6 for at least a year.

With the divorce status, it may come in handy once you decide to move on. :bigpimp:

I think if you drive it for a year, you'll still get a lot for it and you'll have lived with it long enough to decide. My guess is you won't let it go.

#6 · (Edited)
I guess it all depends on how much you need the money vs the car! Just keep in mind that these cars depreciate rapidly, so my point is that the value is never has high as it will be today. This is true every day you own it.

On cars.com a 2009 vert with less than 30k miles is $45k and up. Wait one year and it will be mid-$30's.

You have already driven the car a bunch driving up and down the coast with your father so you must have an idea of what you think of it. Everyone on this board bought the car because we love it like a part of the family. If you aren't overwhelmed with desire to keep it not sure you should! Take the money and get a car you are overwhelmed by. By the way, you would love this car in twisties where there are no police! This car handles great for it's size, but it will eat tires if you drive it hard.

As far as your income, a car that cost you nothing won't be a drag on your expenses. Not to mention you are still under warranty so you will have maintenance and repairs covered. Except tires you are pretty golden. Once it is out of warranty that is a different story, research on here and you will find that those who need repairs find it to be costly. Simple stuff like brakes/filters/oil are no more or less difficult than any other car.

If you got this car because your father passed my condolences to you.

#7 ·
The 6er can handle mountain roads. Maybe not as nimble as a 3 series, but it does a great job, especially if it has ARS. If the roads are particularly rough, get some good all-season non-Run Flat tires, and keep the wheel size under 20". The DIY stuff is fine, really. Just don't be afraid to get in there.

When I had my six I was making much less than you've reported, but it was probably second in expense only to rent. The prices we pay for the Ultimate Driving Machine!

#8 ·
So I pulled the trigger

Hello,

Well I finally decided. I put the 6 up for consignment. Turned out the old man had loaded up on Dinan with air box, throttle bodies, exhaust, pull-ups and stage 1 program. It should be up in a week or so at freeman motors in Portland Oregon. I feel like it was the right decision.

I picked up a 09 135i with sport package, manual and 12k miles. Fantastic car and exactly what I love. I got a great deal and will pocket the difference, and invest the rest. Down the road I might jump on another manual 6, but for now I am in a good spot.

The drive home in the new ride was amazing. I took the back roads and absolutely loved it and now I can actually fit my kids in the back.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Cheers

Spencer

#10 ·
Hey mtnboy, to each is own. I'm glad it worked out for you and in the end, as long as you are happy with the deal, that's all that matters. :thumbup:. Those 1 series are a blast to drive and I personally think it takes the place of how the 3 series used be. Pure fun and especially with a manual.

#12 ·
My sincerest condolences on losing your Dad. I can understand how the fact that you would drive him around in his tricked-out (meant in the best way) 6 Series would cause you some hesitation regarding the ultimate disposition of this car. If you can, I would advise that you wait a while on a decision and enjoy your Dad's car and your memories of him.

#13 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Last year my Father called me up and wanted to buy a 1M, so we got on a couple lists and it didn't happen. We had alot of conversations about our old 2002 tii that he bought in london. At the time he was stationed at Cinc Nav Eur jsut accross from the US embasy. Every summer for 4 years we would take a roadtrip around england or through out europe in the tii. We even picked up a 73 bavaria. So getting a 135i is about as close to fulfilling the 1M dream without laying out 60K.

When we moved back to the states he ended up selling the tii for more than he had bought it new and replaced it with a close out deal on a 85 M6. He always loved the tii and our conversation and planning around the european/South Carolina delivery 1M brought up memories of the tii and helped him through the last year of his dialysis and other health issues. In a way, I don't really feel like his soul was in the 650.

Don't get me wrong, he loved the car and the sound of it, but it wasn't the same viseral driving experience as with his prior cars. Maybe with a stick or a DCT it would have been a different, but for his last two years it literally was his wheel chair. He couldn't really walk anymore but he could drive and would often drive out to pismo beach and just sit watching the waves. Later, when he couldn't really drive anymore I would fly down to take him out driving. So, if any car I could get back that would embody his soul would be the 1985 black M6 that he sold to guy in Montana. Even that is an interesting story. The guy had walked away from an 80mph accident in a 635 and swore he would never drive another car. So the M6 went to the automotive happy hunting grounds where the roads are wide, the police are near sighted and there are no speed limits.

We'll thanks for the input

Spencer

ps. I still have his crazy diesel pickup with trucker lights that he loved. Complicated man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.