BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just acquired an '08 X5 4.8i CPO and near 50k - what next?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  MRV99 
#1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum and just acquired a 2008 x5 with 49k miles. Although mileage is a little high for a 3 year SAV, it's in great condition and has the extended CPO warranty.

I've been browsing forums looking for any other 'last minute' issues I may have the can be covered under the original 50k/4 year full coverage. I'm taking it in next week for a couple small issues (like getting the second key working!) this week and was curious if anyone could give me guidance on this 'last' full coverage trip to service.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The CPO warranty is good and covers anything mechanical and electrical for the most part, but you will want to get anything that is more cosmetic under the original warranty, anything that is looking ratty or trim that is coming off, plastics that are wearing poorly etc. Also get in your last service as that also expires at 50k, so anything you can work in that is due for service before 50k - it isn't much, but have them check the brakes - it would be nice to have a fresh set of pads and rotors on BMW before 50k new wipers, oil change if it is due etc.

#4 ·
Have them check the transmission... even if a light hasn't come on yet...

Also have them check the water drain lines for the moon-roof... earlier forums in the 2006-2010 had some hairy stories about leaks and water damage due to clogged drain lines.

Good Luck!!

:thumbup:

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I've found a number of small items that shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think.

With regard to the transmission.....what do I need to say to get them to 'check it'? Was there a specific issue or something that would get them pointed in the right direction? I noticed a few folks with jerky shifting.....mine is nothing compared to my '06 ML 500 (which I had serviced a bunch of times to get it close to right). Don't ask. We're bimmer folks and won't make that mistake again! ML was a decent ride, but it doesn't drive like a BMW (fun).

Thanks again for the help

#6 ·
Good news / bad news / reprogramming???

I took my car in last Wednesday for what turned out to be a pretty good list of items to resolve including:
- brake squeal
- rear DVD failing to load 3 out of 4 times (good DVD with no scratches)
- front seat extension not working
- front seats 'clicking' when moving back and forth
- steering column clicking when moving up and down
- iPod/USB connection static
- failed headphone for entertainment
- check sunroof drains

I think everything is going to be taken care of.....they even replaced the front rotors and pad due to a TSB that said it had bad sensors (don't know if this was causing the sound or not). Anyway, the reason for my post is that I still don't have the car. Most of the time has been due to a couple parts that were not in stock (seat motor and dvd), so I'm waiting patiently.

One thing that 'doesn't add up to me' is that that service advisor is telling me that have a "bunch of reprogramming to do". I hope they're putting on the latest revisions of software -- but does it really take 3-4 hours to do this? They're on the "second try" as I write this and it doesn't look like I'll get my car back yet today. This is a total buzz kill since I basically drove the car one day since purchase on Dec 31.

Curious what others have experienced related to reprogramming stuff.....thanks.

#7 ·
One thing that 'doesn't add up to me' is that that service advisor is telling me that have a "bunch of reprogramming to do". I hope they're putting on the latest revisions of software -- but does it really take 3-4 hours to do this? They're on the "second try" as I write this and it doesn't look like I'll get my car back yet today.
Yup, sometimes longer. Often since it takes so long they start the process before the end of the day and leave it overnight.

I have no idea why it should take it so long, but I suspect some of it is the actuation and testing of sensors, valves, etc. during the process. Or maybe the use of slow flash memory slows things down.

Any one have any info as to why the programming process is so lengthy?

#8 ·
entertainment and communication not covered on CPO

Found out with my last car (2006 530), Entertainment and communication which includes bluetooth is not covered under the CPO so good you got it in for the rear entertainment issue. Just got a 2009 x5 3.0 CPO with 17K so have some time on that one...My rear entertainment rattles so having them tighten. Good luck

#9 ·
The programming is an all or nothing approach so if an error occurs 30 sec before it completes, they need to do it all over again. Took BMW 4 tries on my 545 when I had an update.

Check the plastic trim which the driver side seatbelt rests against. If you just unhook you belt and not guide it back to the retracted position, you will find a bunch of peck marks on the B pillar. That is a common issue which BMW will replace under 50k/4th

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.