BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90/E91/E92/E93 OEM Spare Tire source

956K views 709 replies 262 participants last post by  tcphoto 
#1 ·
I know the leather-Z kit has been out for a while. it just never sat right with me that a) it was almost 400 for the kit that fit the 335i ( tire + tools + spacer & bolts)
b) you needed to use a 15mm spacer to get it to work.

digging through the ETK, it looks like the leather-z spare is the spare from the E46 cab.
3.50BX17 ET:30

a little more digging shows that the E60 550i uses front brake rotors the same size (348mm) and thickness as the 335i. brake calipers look to be of approximate same size.

the compact spare for the 550i is:
4BX17 ET:18

the offset is close to that of the E46 spare plus spacer-- ET 15 for the E46 spare wheel + spacer vs ET 18

now the fun part. BMW sells a retrofit spare kit for the E60. it includes:

the wheel +tire diameter is within 2% of stock tires.

total price from tischer BMW, for the whole retrofit kit listed above, before shipping, is $239.

I've ordered up a set, will keep everyone posted as to if it works. if it doesnt, i have a new flower planter. if it does, a spare that works without having to deal with the spacer, and for a lower price.

See less See more
#490 ·
Just spoke to my dealer, the OEM E90 spare kit is available. He's calling Monday to obtain shipping date. I tried Bavarian Auto Sports, http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp. They're out of their kit until this June. It sounds to me that it's the same kit offered by the dealer. My understanding that the diameter of the OEM kit is 25". The size of the tire is 25" X 5". Have to measure trunk space with partition down to see if it fits.

#492 ·
Yes the top works!

I keep a full size 17" 225/45R (non-Run Flat tire mounted on a style 185 BMW wheel) in my 2006 BMW 3351 E-93 series Cabriolet. The top retracts with no clearance problems. Anything larger than a shaving kit is a close fit-but I don't have to worry about RFT issues when driving in rural, sparsely populated areas. The BMW jack kit (jack-torque wrench, block and bag fit under the removable trunk panel. Also-my non-run flat tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 Sport) are much more available and cost less than half as much as OEM Run Flat Bridgestones. I hope my next BMW will include an option for a real spare, mounted in the trunk! Total cost for my wheel-tire and jack kit is app $525!:)

#493 · (Edited)
I bought a used 2006 325i with 70k from local BMW with extend warranty (100k till 2012) for $14,000 in great condition. They had RFT, so think they were the second set. The right front had some outside wear, so I thought the alignment was out. Dealer said they would give me a deal on the tires, but then said it would be best to go to Discount Tires. I went with Michelin Hydroedges ($114/each), based on it being the wifes car and she wanted comfort with good MPG's. Love the tire!! Good quite ride. I wanted a Z rated tire, but the Hydroedge had a T with 90,000 warranty. Discount destroyed my rims with install. They have ordered me new after market rims. Rims has some deep gouges. Keeping the old rims, maybe make a spare. We will see how they look. Going to get alignment after I put on the new rims from BMW dealer, last owed item.

I live in a small city with 3 Discount Tire stores. We do not plan many out of town trips with the car much, so I am thinking of not going with a spare. It could be flatbed towed to Discount if needed ($50).

I am not going to go with the spare to save on MPG and trunk room. I am going to go with the BMW Mobility Kit ($135 Amazon) versus the Continental Kit if I have a flat and need to get off the road. I figure that if the BMW kit clogs the senors, then BMW should fix it since it is their product I used.

Any arguments??

#496 · (Edited)
Full sized spare? I just swapped ContiContact Pro SSR RFTs (IIRC) for Conti Extreme Contact DWS on my 2008 335i. I chose 'em based mostly on positive Tirerack reviews of snow traction. I have the ContiComfortKit and AAA Plus (100 mile towing, etc.) but I'd kinda liketa havea decent spare. I can get a mounted, delivered wheel tire combo at Tirerack (same tire) for $325. Anyone carrying a full sized spare.

#497 ·
WOW this thread was to long for me to read since Im at work LOL Anyway, I have a 2011 335d Non SPORT,which I dearly love running on 17" RF and planning to add the 18" COR wheels with a set of good tires, Has anyone added the kit so mentioned here throughout this thread and if there is one which ONE is it for my vehicle. Mind you I do not have the insert for the tire in the trunk so it would be laying in there on the BMW mat I bough for the trunk ;) Gracias Amigos!!

#498 ·
I bought the Tischer kit, and a set of wheel locks from Bavauto. I also have the 17" wheels and just rotated them this morning in anticipation of a cross-country trip. I realize BMW frowns on rotation, however I do so every 5k miles on all my cars. I got 48k miles on the original set of tires on my previous BMW, and 36k on my GS w" 18" wheels. I refuse to have a staggered setup primarily because I prefer rotating the tires.

#501 · (Edited)
If I were to look for this tire/wheel and optionally jack kit from a pick and pull place, which years and models cars would I need to look for to have something that works on a e90 2007 335i with 18" sport staggered setup?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: found this part cross-reference:
Part 36110308889 (Set emergency wheel with tyre) was found on the following vehicles:
E60: Details on E60
E60 525i Sedan
E60 530i Sedan
E60 545i Sedan
E60 550i Sedan
E60 525xi Sedan
E60 530xi Sedan

E60N: Details on E60N
E60N 528i Sedan
E60N 535i Sedan
E60N 550i Sedan
E60N 528xi Sedan
E60N 535xi Sedan

E61: Details on E61
E61 530xi Touring

E61N: Details on E61N
E61N 535xi Touring
I'm wondering if this is accurate because the original post specifically calls out the spare for the 550 and not all these other 5-series models. This looks like basically any E6x model will have the right compact spare tire/wheel.

Also still not sure on which years I should be looking for.

#502 ·
If I were to look for this tire/wheel and optionally jack kit from a pick and pull place, which years and models cars would I need to look for to have something that works on a e90 2007 335i with 18" sport staggered setup?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: found this part cross-reference:

I'm wondering if this is accurate because the original post specifically calls out the spare for the 550 and not all these other 5-series models. This looks like basically any E6x model will have the right compact spare tire/wheel.

Also still not sure on which years I should be looking for.
all the E60s use the same spare, so any MY E60 spare will work

#508 · (Edited)
Spare Tire Kit for Sale

Selling my Tischer spare kit. Never used. Sold my car so not needed. Make me an offer.
Also have the Continental Comfort Kit for sale (it's the kit with the compressor and slime).

#511 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2008 328xi and have some questions about a spare tire. The car came with style 197 rims and non-runflat tires. Also have the sport package. Thinking about at least getting a pump and can of sealer but also mulling around the idea of buying the spare tire kit from Tischer. Will this kit work with my car? Thanks in advance.

#513 ·
finally scored one of these spare tires from a used parts shop that specializes in BMW's. they advertised it on craigslist so I got it for $125 with a E46 jack and crank. Managed to fit the jack and crank in the compartment under the trunk floor along with a small compressor, jumper cables and tire patch kit.

but the spare takes up a ton of space in the trunk. i can see keeping it in there for daily driving, but any long trips with 4 people and luggage will be a serious problem, and that is when I'd want a spare the most.

what strapping or storage solutions have people come up with? did anything ever come of the idea of strapping it to the trunk roof? the sheet metal up there seems pretty sturdy but it's still just sheet metal and the spare is not exactly light.

also, any recommendations on a cover to protect the spare from scuffing and also getting other stuff dirty? something like this one would be good in terms of looks and price but it may be kinda large since it says it fits 26.5" tires and up and i measure the spare at about 25" diameter.

#518 ·
FYI, just attempted this morning to order the temporary spare tire kit, and received a message from Evan @ bmwgetparts.com. The old part number (#3611 0 308 889) has been DISCONTINUED. However, Ticher BMW is custom packing their own emergency spare tire kit with all of the exact parts previously available under the old part number above, and it is available for shipping NOW. That part number is: PKSPARETIRE*. I just ordered this under the new part number and have received an order confirmation, so it will work. The price is $315.00, plus shipping of $24.95 for me.