BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No Heat-Blows Cold Air Thru Side and Center Vents

17K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  upallnight 
#1 ·
2001 BMW X5 4.4L. Blower fan works, heat works only in defrost and floor mode. No heat coming out of center or side vents.(blows cold air) Dial is set to red mark....

Any Ideas?

#2 ·
Well I haven't experienced this problem but I know how the heating system works. Fan blowing (i'm assuming at low, medium & high speeds) and cold air coming out means your heater core is not getting the coolant through it. So likely the heater/blower relay is toast. That's my educated guess. Other possibilities is the heater core is cracked or leaking. But likely you would've either smelled coolant burning or experienced a leak in your cabin.

#8 ·
I think if it was the heater core - I would have no heat from the floor or defrost mode... which is working...
We have to ask since you didn't tell us that it was ruled out as the culprit like the OP did in the 1st post in this thread "dial is set to red". :)

What position do you have the stratified air dial? This is the dial (#3) in the middle of the dash's center vent that allows the front passengers to "temper" the air from those vents warmer or cooler...independent of the set temp that is coming from the floor or defrost vents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.