BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Increased Battery Discharge issue

97K views 315 replies 37 participants last post by  terri_atl 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed before by users, but I still have problem understanding it even after researching in many sites. I apologize if I sound too ignorant and also for this very lengthy thread.

I have a brand new 328i in March. I live in Buckhead, Atlanta. So I do basically almost everything within the buckhead area.

Around mid October, I first received a "High Battery Discharge"warning message. But it went away within a minute after I turned on the ignition.

On November 1, I was at my dental office for over 2 hours. I got into the car, drove to pick up some shipping supplies down the street. Got back into the car about 5 mins later, halfway to the mall, my mom called and I talked to her via bluetooth.

Parked the car, cut off engine and still talking to my mom. Whole conversation is about 30minutes. I know. After I hung up the phone, the "High Battery Discharge" warning came up again. I turned off the power.

Went to the mall to pick up a few items, went back to the car. The "Battery Charged Level Low" came up when I turned the power on. This was the first time I saw that and I was worried. I connected to the BMW Assist and the lady insisted I should send my car for a checkup. She connected me to the nearest service center at Global Imports. I got an appointment on Nov 5. The warning signs did not show up after that.

On November 5, the SA told me I have too few miles in the car, and likely due to my driving short distances. I looked at the diagnostics, it said
"#1 Cause was Terminal 15 was on.
#2 was unfavorable driving patterms" Battery at 53%

The technician came and explained I should really take my car to go far away places. He has suggested a trickle charger but since I live in a condominium, that won't work. Everyone zoomed in on my "unfavorable driving pattern". He also said the battery will not be under warranty if it dies.

So I have since tried to take the car to far places once a week. Honestly, this is stressful cos I have to purposely go somewhere far to get the battery charged.

One month later, today I received another "High Battery Discharge". Not sure if it was due to my stopping at the gas station to fill up the gas and again like 10minutes later. When I got back into the car after leaving the car for 10minutes, I received the "High Battery discharge" warning. The warning did not go away. After my one hour meeting at Starbucks, I did not see anymore of the "High Battery Discharge" warning for the rest of the day.

I am wondering instead of going to highway when the traffic is just as bad as the city roads, can I just drive around the city to get the battery charged. If yes, how long should I drive to get the batt charged. Would anyone be kind to tell me if this (driving short distances) is the only reason causing it. I also have a theory, could it be because I keep cutting off the engine at within sort period of time interval. I used to have a MB, and I never have such problem :(

Would appreciate if anyone can advise on this. Thank you!:cry:

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
Thanks for refinning the math(or doing it)

It sounds like this might be worth a shot in the southern latitudes of the US if you leave your car outside while at work.
The panel would have to put out more than 12.5 Volts to be effective . I wonder if it comes with a regulator?

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Solar-Battery-Charger-Convertible/dp/B004QDAPOI

http://compare.ebay.com/like/220631360777?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

The panel on this one looks like it would closer to the right size but its pricey.

Or buy a house.

#31 ·
Hi yikes98 & Ctuna, you both are talking about physics here. Let me go study what you said first. Thanks for the input :)

Ctuna: buying a house just for a car? Not sure about that ;)

#32 ·
Btw I m heading out to "charge my batt" = burn some gas = burn some money, by hitting the highway. Wish me luck :)

#33 ·
After driving about 20miles on the highway this morning, hope the car battery is charged reasonably well. Will take a look at the last 2 posts. Thanks!

#36 ·
Bigger is usually better but sometime its get awkward to put on the dash. Try this and have someone with some electronic knowledge to install it. Would recommend getting the extension cable to run the connections directly from the battery in the trunk. It's only 18 x 18 inches so it fits on the dash, can be stowed in the back and has a built in controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-1164-Solar-Charger/dp/B004Q86JJ8

#35 · (Edited)
That would be better in terms of wattage

The thing is you probably want one with a regulator and a way to hook it up.
Looking at some of the ones in the amazon link and ebay it looks like some can be hooked
in via the OBD 2 port . That's a connector that normally is used for smogging and car
diagnostics its on the drivers side next to the kick panel right below the dash.
That is a standard diagnostic port for all cars so any one of those panels that's for cars and has that type of connector
would probably work. I would get one that is just for a car though if your not into
physics or somebody doesn't come up with another solution.
The BMW one is pretty expensive but its probably certified.

This one plugs into the OBD2 port but I would prefer more power from a bigger panel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-VW-Audi...CI%2BUA%2BFICS&otn=21&pmod=220631360777&ps=54

Its pretty cheap though.
That ebay link has a bunch of them.
I assume you take your car to work and it spends a few hours in the sun during the week.

#37 ·
Hi ctuna: So you think the one in the ebay is good? Yes, physics gives me a headache. I tried to read the reviews on amazon of those solar panels. I would read them twice and still no idea what they were saying with those numbers. I intend to study them because I should really know more about this since I am the only one with this problem. OBD2 port? I don't think I have seen it but since like you said, it should be there. I will sure try to look for it tomorrow. It is winter and I don't even see that much sun here this week. Gloomy like in London. I am thinking during winter, I may just have to burn off some gas and get the battery charged every weekend. But of cos I will want to get the battery maintained during the day as much as possible. We get alot of sun during the spring, summer and early fall here in Atlanta.

Unfortunately my car stays in the deck or covered parking most of the time during the day. But if the sun is plentiful, I can get my car parked in front of the building with a pass, max 3 hours. Is that good enough? So should this solar panel will only be up when the car is parked?

#38 ·
Hi yikes98, the battery is not in my trunk. You did refer to the battery located at the back right? No, the battery for mine is in the front.

What you said is very true, it is indeed awkward to put a huge panel on the dash.

#42 ·
Hi yikes98, the battery is not in my trunk. You did refer to the battery located at the back right? No, the battery for mine is in the front.What you said is very true, it is indeed awkward to put a huge panel on the dash.
Terri,

Yes, your car's battery really is in the trunk (part of the BMW 50/50 weight distribution), but it is hidden under/behind the interior liner. What is in the front is just a set of hookups or jumperpoints. I have an '09 cabrio that doesn't get a lot of road time. It's a daily driver but it only takes me 15 or so minutes to get to and from work. However, we really do our best to take it out on the weekends and run it. In 18 months of ownership I've not had any battery issues. When we go out of town I lock the car to insure it has gone to sleep. If you live in a condo and don't have a private garage I cannot imagine why your car is behaving so badly unless it really never is driven for more than 5 minutes at a time. Pull out your owner's manual. It will show you the true location of your battery - not just the "jump points" under the hood.

Good luck but I think your car is just begging to be driven more-- much more.

#39 ·
Let me go research more on the solar panels at amazon & ebay. Thanks for being so patient with me :)

#40 ·
Basically more watts is better

You need one with an OBD 2 connector and regulator you do have to have some
time in the sun . I don't know if garage lights would do anything . You only have it
in place while charging you take it off when you drive the car.

#41 · (Edited)
you guys are assuming the OBDII is 'active' when the car is a sleep, and has contact with the battery to charge it. Most things, like the aux power ports are completely switched off. it wouldnt surprise me that the OBD is turned off? im just going off the top of my head here...

also, and i know people do otherwise... but it states, clearly, in the book that any charging or battery maintenance to the battery must be done by means of the under hood posts.
pg 237

#45 ·
but it states, clearly, in the book that any charging or battery maintenance to the battery must be done by means of the under hood posts.
pg 237
Agree but I don't see much of a difference attaching it at G6430 or i01121 or x1369. All of which I've used to hookup a battery charger at some point during module coding or just charging the battery. It's effectively all the same electrically.

Attachments

#51 ·
You hooked up a battery charger during coding was it one that had a power supply
function ? Did you register the battery or install any stuff like the ipod interface or alarm that required you to process the car or mess with the VO?
Don't what to hijack this thread but did battery reg with INPA and coded lots of stuff with NCS on 07' e92 and 11' e70. The best was coding to be able to close the rear hatch with the key fob or dash button on the e70. :thumb up: I'm still looking for a coolant temp display for the e70 KOMBI module without have to use the secret menu. It nice to have coolant temp when towing up and down the grades in the summer. PM me if you want more info.

#48 ·
Hi Nordic_Kat :) thank you for letting me know. I guess I really have zero knowledge about cars. When the technician opened the hood and pointed at that, I thought that was the battery. My bad!

My car is a daily driver too. I drive 5-10miles at a go. Weekends may be abit more but now I force myself to wander on the highways on a weekend like what I did yesterday. I do enjoy driving my car alot.

Yes, I live in a condominium when there should no issue with the key in very close proximity to the car.

#50 ·
ctuna: got it!! I saw that link you posted, it didn't state any compatible models for 2011 models. Yes, it's on the more expensive side, but since I am not sure this will solve my problem and today is another gloomy day in Atlanta, I am not willing to purchase that for now. But I am open to buying one less than $100 to experiment on it. I need one that helps me maintain the battery.

The spot I park daily is always located by the side of the deck. So there's a little sunlight shining in. But if solar panel helps, I can get a pass to park it outside. I can't wait for spring to come!

#52 ·
Hi NJ_Ray :) Yes, I bought a BMW and I will never trade my car for a Honda and a '92? ;) BMW is a fun car, I love driving it and sometimes I take a longer route to go home just so I can be in it longer.

#54 · (Edited)
Hi Sunny5280! :) I don't have this problem until about 7 months later. I bought my car in mid March. First Increased Battery Discharge in mid October. And about 2 weeks later, again "Increased Battery Discharge" and same time "Battery Charged Level Low".

I guess my car gets more exercise than yours :)

I hope your X5 won't have my problem. It makes me worried when a warning message pops up.

#55 ·
sunny5280: I forgot, thank you for sharing your past experiences. I hope I don't have to replace the battery within a year or even 2. This car is brand new, so I am trying hard to save the battery :)

#57 · (Edited)
I've only replaced three batteries in all of my BMW's. And all three were due to age of the battery and not insufficient driving (though I suspect lack of driving probably shortened their lives but not to the extend you're experiencing). Given I drive them primarily short distances (10 miles or less) or don't drive them for extended periods (328i / 330xi) I'm surprised I haven't replaced more given the recommendations of BMW.

With that said it might be easier for you to buy a new battery and swap them out every few months. That way you can charge the battery in a convenient place. Not the best solution...one shouldn't have to swap batteries every few months. If I had your experience I would not be driving a BMW.

#56 ·
Just got my car back from it spending the night on the dealers trickle charger. Low battery issues since early 2010 that I've nursed along by periodic charging & attention to full vehicle shut down.

g/l

#58 ·
Hi Sunny5280, this is my first BMW. Personally it's sad to have this experience. Hopefully this not going to be my last. So you saying only BMW has this issue? Then again I am thinking we do have somewhat the same driving habit, but I am experiencing this problem but you don't. :(

#62 ·
I'm not saying it's limited to BMW however I don't see it being a problem on other vehicles. But then I don't hang out in forums for other vehicles. I do see it being plausible to BMW and other vehicles so I don't believe those reporting the problem are mistaken nor do I think it's limited to BMW.

Regarding our driving habits I believe mine might be more harsh on the battery or similar. My primary driving, with the X5, is within 6 miles. The six miles is primarily 60% city and 40% highway. Occasionally I'll take it on a longer highway drive.

The 2006 330xi was even worse. I rarely drove it (3,000 miles in almost 18 months with 1,500 of that being a trip to North Dakota) and when I did it was typically within 10 miles...primarily city driving. I did replace the battery in this car back in mid-March of this year. I just traded it in back at the end of October. That was six months with little use and the use was primarily city driving. The battery was fine and I had no doubt it would continue to work.

Have you replaced the battery at all?

#59 ·
Sunny5280, sorry I may have misinterpret what you said, the part about if you have my experience, you won't be driving a BMW. I never drive a BMW before, but I went to many sites when I first had the warning message. Seems that BMW not kind to car drivers who don't drive their cars far and on highways. My friend thinks that's a joke.

#60 ·
Hi GarySL: so you saying even with periodic charging, your battery still have issues? I believe the next time I send my car in, the dealer is going to charge me :(

#61 ·
Yeah, it's been placed on the dealers trickle charger at least three separate occasions (the dealer has suggested low mileage or chronic improper shut down). I just drop it off late Friday & pick it up sometime Saturday, when the garage isn't being used. There has never been any discussion of a cost involved. g/l

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.