BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any modded X3's out there?

72K views 119 replies 46 participants last post by  EconoBox 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I did a search first and there sure doesn't seem to be anyone modding these cars... I have had a few BMW's over the years, and have always enjoyed modding or personalizing to my tastes. And I know, the aftermarket scene is not for everyone, but it just seems like theres NOTHING available!
LED taillights, tinted windows, maybe different wheels, exhausts, intakes, etc. And before anyone lambaste's me, I know these are all personal preferences, but I think modding can be done tastefully, while giving it a more distinct European look.
I think this looks absolutley stunning (minus the go-fast stickers, of course)...

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, that doesn't look too bad. I'm not impressed with the hoodie spoiler, but no biggie.

I think if I modded I would be more interested in the off-road approach i.e. knobbier tires, cold air intake with possible forging kit, a small winch etc. But the idea of sportifying an SUV (sigh...sAv) behooves me.

#3 ·
well at least someone's out there! Hey, I never said we had to lower it... raising it a couple inches is absolutely acceptable! I just got my X3 not long ago and have not had it off road at all, and quite frankly, would probably be scared to. But, having said that, with a little bit of a lift it would probably look great.
I just know, I'm all about taking a turn or an on ramp even faster than BMW intended... and by lowering you can achieve that. Post up pics! Anyone??

#4 ·
Start with a few times at the BMW Performance Driving School session or a Driver's School from the local BMW CCA chapter first. It allowed me to drive faster around corners without a single mod.

I'm all about practical mods, not so much appearance or visual appeal. In fact, the only purely aesthetic mod I did was to remove the airbag stickers (and I don't miss them :p). Okay, perhaps the interior trim swap too.

My list:
1. Rear foglights
2. Welcome lights/parking lights
3. aspheric outside mirrors.
4. Interior trim swap

Now that I think of it, #1-3 wouldn't be a problem if I just bought my car in Europe.

#5 ·
I'm all about practical mods, not so much appearance or visual appeal. In fact, the only purely aesthetic mod I did was to remove the airbag stickers (and I don't miss them :p). Okay, perhaps the interior trim swap too.
I consider something like rear fogs lights a very cool mod! I have had Mercedes and Volvo's over the years and have never understood why BMW disables the rear fogs in the US?
I suppose other than those American's who don't really understand the purpose of them. It has always cracked me up when you see the oldmobile aurora's that had them for a couple years and the guys would be driving down the road on a clear sunny afternoon with them on.
I have always wanted to retro fit, but have been scared away by the amount of effort involved...

#6 ·
It does look real nice (without the extra spoiler) I wonder if the right side tips are just for the looks. Seems nearly impossible to fit and extra exhaust on that side. But it looks hot.

I would go on the chip (software) reflash way, like the DINAN, and I would throw a CAI and a bigger TB. Maybe some headers and remove the CAT!
I kind of like the staggered look as well :thumbup:

#7 ·
X3-terr, I agree... I think the right side exhaust is a little much, as well as that extra spoiler. Body kit's are ok sometimes... But on this particular car, I love the wheel/tire set-up and the fact that it's been lowered. I wouldn't do much else in the way of useless cosmetic pieces. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I just wish there was more of an appreciation for this particular BMW in the aftermarket world.

#11 ·
I agree that there isn't much of a modding craze with the x3.
I personally did some aestetic things to my car...
1. Debadged
2. Black'd out front grill
3. Smoked side markers
4. Aluminum running boards
5. 19' VMR vb710 rims
6. Blackline taillights
7. Xenon fogs
8. Chrome exhaust tips

I will post pics later...

#12 ·
I agree that there isn't much of a modding craze with the x3.
I personally did some aestetic things to my car...
1. Debadged
2. Black'd out front grill
3. Smoked side markers
4. Aluminum running boards
5. 19' VMR vb710 rims
6. Blackline taillights
7. Xenon fogs
8. Chrome exhaust tips

I will post pics later...

#13 ·
Lets see some pics!! These are all the mod's I'm talking about! I ordered by blackline taillights today (I gave up on trying to retrofit the '07 and newer tails), and I want to do the grill too... Pics please!!

#16 ·
I too have been happy with OEM after fixing some AT issues (resetting the AT memory was all that was required - now smooth as) but after 3 years ownership had to freshen her up as I intend keeping the X3 now the lease is out. Added GPS to the top console bin, Bluetooth and DICE iPod interface. Then added some smart electronics to boost power and torque considerably . . . one advantage of diesels - this is easy to do :D

#29 ·
Here you go- some exterior mods i have done so far...

Oh my jis487... I was seriously up all night trying to figure this out. How in the world do you get that chrome trim that runs from the side mirror to the back window where the door panel meets the window? I had given up hope on finding this out until I saw your gorgeous photos. Is there a part number or someplace you can direct me to?

Did you install it yourself? If so, was it difficult?

Your ride is an absolute beauty!

#20 ·
I like the blackline taillights, but what kind of headlamp bulbs are you using? HID headlights without proper aim and a projector bulb can be blinding to oncoming traffic. They should have a sharp cutoff below others' eye level.

#22 ·
Car looks fantastic! I really like the aluminum running boards, although I have the M-sport trim package which I really like too... How does it ride with the 19's on it? Mine's really firm with the factory 18's, but the 19's look really good. Do you have any good websites that sell aftermarket parts for the X3 by chance? Thanks for posting pics!

#23 ·
jis487, very nice X3, love those tail light.

I'm a hardcore tuning guy, coming from VW tuning world. I plan to do some mods on my X3 also. I see that KW has some Coilovers for the X3, and i'll be looking at some OEM 19'' or 20'' wheels.

I'd like to find a CAI, but dont seem to find any, and will get a custom catback installed.

One thing might stop me from doing mechanical mods, is the warranty, I know Mini was VERY picky with aftermarket mods(if it was not John Cooper Works mods), so BMW is probably the same way.

#26 ·
mods

Jis487:

Can you post some pricing on yor mods?

I like personalizing, but not over the top stuff. This was done very well imo.

Any chance you did some engine mods?

#32 ·
Thanks all for the comments- Sorry for the delay in posting, I've been away for the holiday week.

To answer some questions that were posted:

1. I like the ride on the 19' a lot better. I had the 17's on before and I heard and felt so much more road impact and noise. I wish I would have gotten all-season tires for my 19s because I dread going back to the road noise and such with the 17s. ( the tires for the 19s are toyo t1rs). I know people complain from more noise as they get bigger wheels but I guess I'm the opposite. (maybe i just had crappy tires on my 17s)

2. Most of my mods have come through my local bmw dealer and one of my brother's sponsors khoalty.com . That site has good deals on stuff and the service has been great....that's where I got my rims from.
I also suggest ecstuning.com but they basically have the same stuff your local dealer would have (so that's good if you don't have accesss or the time to go to a dealer).

3. I got my black grill from ebay. I looked around and no sites had them. Yet, on ebay there were a lot and I took a chance. You just pop the old grills off and pop the new ones on.

4. The chrome trim on the window came stock on my car. I know there is a part number for the trim but I don't know what it is. Check realoem.com and see if you can find the part number then just pick it up from your dealer.

5. As to pricing for the stuff on my car- I can't recall the exact prices but a rough estimate of each would be:
  • VMR Rims- 900 or so
  • Toyo T1Rs Tires- 200 or so per tire
  • Grille- 80
  • Smoke side markers- 30ish
  • Running Boards- 500
  • Tailights- 250
  • Chrome Exhaust Tips- 60 or so
  • Aluminum Pedals-80 or so

#35 ·
mods. done to-date

Here's what I've done to my 05 X3-3.0 6-speed
-Remus exhaust / staggered 19" OE wheels with P Zero's for summer and 17" OE wheels with Michelin snowtires/ AFE cold ait intake /Bravarian Autosport Power Programer and high output ignition coils . It also has the factory optioned colored keyed front 7 rear bumpers as well as side skirts Also have the CDV installed
The programer ahs improved the acceleration as well as eliminating the rev limiter.
and makes it more responsive ( important when the other cars we drive are a M roadster
and an Audi TT )
This is one of the best driving SAV's available

#37 ·
Here's what I've done to my 05 X3-3.0 6-speed
-Remus exhaust / staggered 19" OE wheels with P Zero's for summer and 17" OE wheels with Michelin snowtires/ AFE cold ait intake /Bravarian Autosport Power Programer and high output ignition coils . It also has the factory optioned colored keyed front 7 rear bumpers as well as side skirts Also have the CDV installed
The programer ahs improved the acceleration as well as eliminating the rev limiter.
and makes it more responsive ( important when the other cars we drive are a M roadster
and an Audi TT )
This is one of the best driving SAV's available
We need pics, or it didn't happen ;) Where about are you from Nova-Scotia?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.