BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Active Hybrid 5

8K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Ågent99 
#1 ·
I am about to jump the gun on ordering an Active Hybrid 5 prior to driving it.

There seems to be an absence of posts talking about the car.

Has anyone driven it or own it? How does it compare to the 535i?

How quiet is the car when only the electric engines running?

#2 ·
I've seen one at BMW of The Woodlands, and one back in VA before I moved but never driven. I think that stock on the ground is extremely rare.

I'm also not quite sure of the point, as the MPG's aren't all that much better. Having said that, I think it's kind of cool and would probably order one if it weren't for the massive loss of trunk space. Not as bad as the M35h, but the F30 loses no trunk space for the 3 Active Hybrid so it's a bit disappointing.

#3 ·
Under normal circumstances, I would agree that there is no reason to buy an Active Hybrid 5 besides one-upping reasons.

However, I was given the opportunity to buy one for a slightly better deal (but not cheaper) than that of a 535i. When I added all the options that I want on the vehicle, I will only be paying $800 more for an Active Hybrid 5 as opposed to a 535i. The Eco Credit of $4,500 really helps!

There is a big chance that I will only be keeping my car for a year and a half. When it comes time to sell my car, I would imagine that an Active Hybrid 5 with an MSRP of $8,500 higher would fetch more than the $800 to the 535i.

#6 · (Edited)
It seems you just answered your question. Hybrids are still pretty much a gimmick. Toyota has the Prius which is basically a $10k car with $15k in batteries/motors and so no real cost savings for 10-20 years when you do the math. So now everyone is jumping on band wagon in the name of GREEN.

One has to ask why BMW hybrids don't sell well even with steep discounts. I think BMWs are problematic enough without the additional hybrid headaches.

There is a post on the board where someone got a 7 series hybrid lease for less than a 5 series lease. I would focus on why they are not selling more than the selling price itself.

#4 ·
If you can live with the trunk, go for it!

#5 ·
now that you mentioned it.. that is kind of scary...

I usually have a stroller and a golf bag in my trunk (Lexus GS460) and still have some extra space to spare....

#12 ·
Not sure in town where you are, but BMW of The Woodlands still has theirs listed in inventory.

The trunk reduction is significant. About 1/3 gone, if not more.

#7 ·
I am not familiar with the AH5, but I almost bought an AH7 before this and I would have if they offered me the deal they did after I took delivery of this. The 7 series hybrid was a freakin rocket ship. The hybrids generally produce more HP because of less stress on the engine from the AC motor and the like. The AH7 has 50 more HP than the base. They offer really good incentives like the eco credit and the hybrid models come with some goodies standard that you would have to special order (like alcantara head liner). As far as i know, they are only rear wheel drive.

The trunk space wasn't a huge issue in the 7, but I would see it be one in the five.

#8 ·
Don't plan on great resale value in a year and a half for any of the f10's. With all the steep discounts resale value on these cars has tanked. I bought a leftover 2011 for almost $15k off sticker...granted it was a 6mt but still affects the overall resale value of the f10 lineup.

#9 ·
I am about to jump the gun on ordering an Active Hybrid 5 prior to driving it.

There seems to be an absence of posts talking about the car.

Has anyone driven it or own it? How does it compare to the 535i?

How quiet is the car when only the electric engines running?
Try it by yourself. It definitely feels different than 535: extra 50hp instantly available make it drive very different. Basically those 50hp can compensate little bit turbo lag and make auto start/stop little bit less annoying.

Pure electric: well, it's pure electric, like on any golf-cart ;) but its hard to keep it in electric-only mode - little push of the pedal and engine starts. So I stopped bothering quickly.

MPG: I am getting very close to EPA estimates on it, but you need to assist it by letting nav know where you are going even if you don't need guidance.

IMHO if you want features which come on ah5 standard (nav with bigger screen, rims) and can live without options which are not available or not-built (like tech package/on-screen projection, auto-park), can deal with smaller inventory of ah5 on lots, it may be quite compelling due to Eco-credit.

P.s. trunk is still big enough.

#15 ·
Congrats to your order! I have x5d and AH5, all I said is both of them are honor Bimmer's character "Ultimate Driving Machine". Love them with just two different eco-friendly technology without sacrifice the driving pleasure (Like MB blueTec & Toyota Hybrid). I was about the get the 535i and Greg Poland got me a awesome deal (similar monthly payment with Hybrid technology). AH5 delivered to my home last Sunday and drove a week. I fall in love of this, average 26 mpg (65Hwy/35City). I'm can do Costco shopping with AH5's trunk. :drive::cool:

#25 ·
I just coded my AH5 last few days like crazy, tried many different options to enhance the driving experience. I even activated and changed the iDrive with different UI (user interface), but the Nav will disable since can't input English as address. Finally goes back to English UI with different language on others. Too much fun like the kid in the Lego Store!

Thanks Bimmerfest, learn a lot from you guys! LOL :bigpimp:

#29 ·
AC stopped working - 7 weeks till new part!!!!!!!!!!

So I bought an AH5 in March, air conditioner stopped working last week... they gave me a 528 loaner and today they told me there is not a part anywhere in the world for them to fix the car and that they "might" have it at the end of SEptember.

I'm making car payments on a car, driving a car that is not to the same standard, and I"m getting mileage.

Thoughts on options?

#30 ·
So I bought an AH5 in March, air conditioner stopped working last week... they gave me a 528 loaner and today they told me there is not a part anywhere in the world for them to fix the car and that they "might" have it at the end of SEptember.

I'm making car payments on a car, driving a car that is not to the same standard, and I"m getting mileage.

Thoughts on options?
They need to buy it back!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#33 ·
Consider the diesel instead. If the Eco Credit for the diesel is reinstated, I'll be EDing a 535d for Summer 2014. Otherwise, it'll be the petrol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.