BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Moving from 550 with questions

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Squiddie 
#1 ·
Good Evening,

I have owned numerous 5's over the last couple of years, and unfortunately have had numerous issues with my current vehicle. It is going in later in the month for the Customer care issues, this after it has already has had all injectors replaced and the alternator.

I have decided I am ready for a change and am looking at moving to the 640 Gran Coupe. I noticed the new LCI was just announced, does anyone know when it is available for order in the North America? Also would love to hear any comments from anyone who has switched from a 5 to a 6, Love my 550 but really tired of it being in the shop.

All the best.

#2 ·
Well, they are nearly the same car, so it won't be like one is more reliable that the other unfortunately.

I see you are thinking 640 - most people that go with the 640 seem pretty happy (from what I read here). The 650 on the other hand, is a really heavy beast and you can feel it in the drive (or the trans is geared differently?). Here are some comments about a 550 vs. 650
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=800425

The other thing to keep in mind, is that the 6-series really looks good -inside and out. So you pay a lot more for that, but to most of us, it is worth it :)

My favorite quote of all time was from C&D,
We***8217;d guess that few people climb into a BMW 5-series and say to themselves, ***8220;You know, I like it. I just wish it had less space inside.***8221; Nonetheless: wish granted.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-bmw-650i-xdrive-gran-coupe-test-review

#3 ·
Not sure what years you are comparing but prior to my 2014 640 GC M-Sport my last BMW was a 2008 550 M-sport. My thoughts on the cars:
- 640 rides and feels a lot bigger
- the 550 "felt" sportier and faster
- the 640 is fast enough, the 650 engine felt like a 2006 5 series M
- the 640 has a better ride and feel luxurious
- the interior is much better in the 640
- regarding the reliability I didn't really have any issues with either car
- I chose the 640 over the 650 primarily because of the oil "top off" issues I read about the 650 engine. The same issues don't exist with the 640.

I don't miss my 550 at all and love my car.

#5 ·
If all the issues with your 550 relate to the N63 engine, then that shouldn't translate to the 6-series Gran Coupe. You get either the reliable 6 cylinder engine (640i) or the updated N63tu engine with 445 HP in the 650i. The latter has supposedly addressed the issues with its predecessor and has been in service in the 650/750 since the 2013MY. For that matter, the 550i switched to the new engine in MY2014, so you could stay with a 5-series if you otherwise like the car and save some money. The new engine appears to get much better "real world" gas mileage as well (although the EPA numbers are the same).

Not trying to talk you out of a 6GC, but there's no advantage in engine reliability vs. BMW's other current options and all those good looks do come at a price.

#6 ·
650 vs. 550

Made the switch from a 2011 550i to a 2015 650i GC (M-Sport) in November.

What I like about the 650:

- Exterior lines are unique and much sportier
- Interior quality is significantly better - better materials, better DRIVER ergonomics, better aesthetics, a great cockpit for the driver!
- Seats (20 way) are much more comfortable
- SOUND of engine/exhaust
- Sportier feel - sits lower to ground, handles better, cockpit feel vs. sedan feel
- Turns heads, not a lot of them on the road
- Faster, more torque with new 445HP 8cyl
- Bigger footprint - more stable, smoother ride (it's a bigger car)

What I don't like about the 650i:

- Upgraded HK sound system in 650 not as good as upgraded HK system in 550 (but I listen to the engine more than music now!)
- Some odd/challenging blind spots, especially in front end (big, sweeping A-pillars, and a long hood) - skinny rear window
- No self closing trunk (minor point)

Overall, the 650i GC is by far the most luxurious/sportiest/best built/best looking BMW I have owned - it's pretty darn impressive no matter HOW you look at it.

650 - a DRIVER's car suitable for 3 other passengers if want to take company with you
550 - a powerful sedan that can comfortably haul 4 people

#7 ·
Made the switch from a 2011 550i to a 2015 650i GC (M-Sport) in November.

What I like about the 650:

- Seats (20 way) are much more comfortable
Interesting! The 650GC seams to have rock hard seats to me and I found my friend's 550 to have a much more comfortable seat. Which seats were in your 550?

#8 ·
I just test drove the 640 this week and really liked the way it drove. It does look big in real life, but inside it felt small and sports coupe like for sure which took a little getting used to. The seats to me seemed slimmer than my 550i, which I think are some of the most comfortable seats I have had in any of my BMW's. I would need a little more time in the 6 seats, but am glad to hear that someone likes them as that is a bit of a concern. I have my dealer trying to locate one right now color/combo but I really thinking about making the jump.

On a side note, does anyone know about the contrast stitch that comes with the m sort. I love the look, while my first choice interior is cinnamon, a lot of the vehicles found have had black. I have noticed that several m-sports didn't have the grey contrast stitch but rather just black stitch, any rhyme or reason on this?

#9 ·
On a side note, does anyone know about the contrast stitch that comes with the m sort. I love the look, while my first choice interior is cinnamon, a lot of the vehicles found have had black. I have noticed that several m-sports didn't have the grey contrast stitch but rather just black stitch, any rhyme or reason on this?
Which contrast stitching are you talking about? The one on the seats or the one on the dash?

If it is the seats, you see that with the Individual Leather choices ($3,500). If it is the dash, that's part of the Leather Instrument panel with contrast stitching (which is standard in the M Sport Edition and was optional prior to that (pre June 2013 builds - where it is kind of rare).

Hope that helps!

#10 ·
The seats are the upgraded 20-way that come with the 650 and the M-Sport. My 550 seats were the standard that came with the premium package (not M). Not bad at all, just not quite as nice as the 650's. These also have the Nappa leather vs. std. leather on 550. Comfort probably subjective to each driver? I like that they sit low and can be adjusted to wrap the sides of your back (if you like the feel of a cockpit vs. a traditional seat).

Stitching (also standard on 650 with M pkg) was a big selling point for me. The CONTRASTING stitching is the key - otherwise, I don't think it would be that visible? I have a black leather interior with the Ivory white leather and stitching. Very sharp (assuming I can keep it clean!). I'd recommend any contrasting combo to your tastes. Black on black, in this interior, however, probably underwhelms some of the design beauty IMO.

#12 ·
The seats are the upgraded 20-way that come with the 650 and the M-Sport. My 550 seats were the standard that came with the premium package (not M). Not bad at all, just not quite as nice as the 650's. These also have the Nappa leather vs. std. leather on 550. Comfort probably subjective to each driver? I like that they sit low and can be adjusted to wrap the sides of your back (if you like the feel of a cockpit vs. a traditional seat).
Ahh, I think if you had the multi-contour seats in the 5-series you would feel differently about how the 6-series seats feel :)
It is something I have gotten used to over the last 8 months although, when I sit in my friends 550xi, I'm always reminded about the difference - in a bad way :)

I am talking about the dash/console stitching. I have seen two 640i M Sports that on black leather have black stitching, yet the exact same vehicle M sport again on the lot has the contrast. I agree that not having the contrast really underwhelms the beauty of the interior. I just was a bit surprised to see some m sports with it, and some without it.
Very strange - all 2015s?

#11 ·
I am talking about the dash/console stitching. I have seen two 640i M Sports that on black leather have black stitching, yet the exact same vehicle M sport again on the lot has the contrast. I agree that not having the contrast really underwhelms the beauty of the interior. I just was a bit surprised to see some m sports with it, and some without it.

#13 ·
I do have the multi contour currently and they really are good. Every time I get in our X5 which doesn't have them, I think wow I miss my seats. Yes all vehicles looking at are 2015, which I thought it came standard as part of the M Sport/Exec package.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. My 550i is still in the shop after one week, and still no sign of the parts being delivered. The good news for me is I just closed a deal to leave it there and move on to the 640. Going with a 2015 640i Glacier Silver/Black Leather M-Sport with 20 in wheels. The one my dealer located for sure has the contrast stitching he said, and it is due in next couple of days. After 9 years of driving 5's, which I have enjoyed each one, I am really looking forward to trying something new. I am excited to have something a little less common, and more sporty than the current F10. Will post pics once I pick it up, thanks again for all the information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.