BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Window Tinting Newbie

25K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  akaMomo 
#1 ·
I'll be taking a euro delivery of my new 328 m sport in about a month. My dealer today asked me whether I'd be interested in window tint. Here's the deal, I've never had window tint done before and I'm not even sure what questions to ask. I also wonder if there will be any interference with the HUD. I tried some searches on these topics but the info was sparse. Any thoughts?

#3 · (Edited)
I think you mean ceramic tint.

OP, search "tint" with my name. www.llumar.com - non-ceramic , www.formulaone.com - ceramic, Pinnacle Series , www.cpfilms.com - parent company. I have Llumar ATR tint on my car. imo Llumar is the best on the market. I have been using Llumar for more than 30 years. I am not easy to please and I have never been disappointed with Llumar.

#4 ·
You'll have to decide what kind of price you are willing to pay. Huper Optik and LLumar are the more expensive films, but offer better performance and longevity than cheap dyed film.
I've got Huper Optik Stark (Ceramic) 35% all around on my car (except for the windshield--no tint there). If you don't tint the windshield, there won't be a problem with your HUD. Some states don't allow windshield tint, but there are 80% films that are supposed to be HUD friendly.
Make sure you have the job done by a reputable shop and make sure they give you very clear warranty terms (should be lifetime warranty for the premium films).

#5 ·
I had mine done last week. Just the rear doors and rear window. Gives it the more "expensive" look. If you live in FL the tint provides more of a function than here in PA where I did it for looks. As noted, find a reputable shop to have a professional job done. Joe..

#10 ·
probably ceramic. from my experience your dealer will contract a 3rd party(like tint world) and have them do it, they will use the 150 dollar tint from tint world and charge you 250.

#15 ·
Yeah, one of the things I asked while comparing shops, was if they used computerized templates to cut the film. I didn't want them touching my car with a razor blade.

I had decided on a shop to use before I even took deliver of car. When the dealer asked if I wanted it tinted, I mentioned the shop I was going to take it to, and they admitted that that was the same shop that did the work if I got it through the dealer. Dealer's premium for "taking care of it" would have been $50.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Since I'm taking delivery in the dead od winter, I actually might like a little warmth from the sun!:) i'll have to see how one looks and may do it a lat time.

#19 ·
One thing that occured to me after I replied.this could be important to any one tinting their car . I was told by my tinter that the computer for cars is sometimes below the rear deck window and they took strong precastions to prevent any moisture from getting in. They said they have seen shops cause thousands of dollar in damage by allowing water to drip in that space below the rear window. I would make sure that any shop you deal with is aware of this

#23 ·
As far as interfering with the HUD, you shouldn't get the front window done anyway. Just the other 3 sides. You also have to decide what % tint you want. Here in Ohio legal tint is 50% which is basically no tint. The shop I went to said they do about 4 legal tint's/year. Many people (myself included) go with 35%. I went with the ceramic and I think it was around $400. They used the razor blade method, but it seemed to work just fine.

#24 ·
My last ride I got Llumar ATR for 125-150 (forget amount). Great work done by reputable place. You can immediately feel the heat rejection. 35% (I think, that or 30%) and it looks great, but wasn't so dark to upset the cops (never had one bother me)

#26 ·
Is there existing factory tint though? In other words, are you putting 35% on top of some other % of tinting that is already there by default?

#27 ·
Yes there is. I believe it's something like 90%. Even still, it's not dark.

Put it this way, on my old car I could see through the rear window and through the drivers side window (two windows now), the cars parked on the opposite side of the street....at night, from 50 feet away.

#28 ·
#29 ·
Don't get tinting at the dealer!

Use a reputable local tint shop.

I had my 2001 740iL done at the dealer when I first bought the car. A 3rd party subcontractor came to the dealership to do the job. & Came with a "lifetime" guaranty.
A few yrs later, the rear window starts to bubble & peeling.
Guess what? that tint company went out of business & dealership won't honor the "lifetime" guaranty.

We have always tint all of our cars down here in TX. Have used local tint shops, from $45 for 2 front windows for Vette, SUV's & Jeeps, since back & rear windows already have dark factory windows, to $99 - $149 for our other 4 door sedans. Never had any problems at all with any of those tint jobs.
All have 35% fronts & 5% rears, max legal limits in TX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.