BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Options help

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  windsor027 
#1 ·
Sorry for the long post. Trying to narrow down my options list on a 2013 328i. Read some posts, BMW brochures, and discussed with dealer but, still confused. Each item shows my take. Please, correct me where I'm wrong.

1. BMW Assist – Provides an OnStar like capability for emergencies, wireless streaming of music from an iPhone through Bluetooth, allows you to use voice commands to change radio stations/make phone calls. I’ll likely only use the Bluetooth to make phone calls. Without the BMW Assist option, I know I’ll have to use my phone to do the dialing and call selection but, to me that’s not a big deal. I can still use the bluetooth and not have to hold the phone. Anything else I’m missing?

2. BMW Apps – Allows web surfing, access to apps, Facebook, Twitter, etc. from your iPhone and displays iPhone interface on BMW screen. Regardless of this option, Dealer said I have to connect to the car through the USB connector in the console. If you want the iPhone cradle, you have to buy it as an accessory. Without this option, I would have to select the playlist, Slacker station, Pandora station from the iPhone interface rather than the BMW interface. However, I wouldn’t use this feature often because, I prefer SiriusXM. I doubt also I would spend much time using apps (not a Facebook, Twitter guy). Anything else I’m missing?

3. Premium Package – Not interested, if I go with the Sport Line. A moonroof is useless in the desert. I get plenty of sun. I would like to order the leather seats as a stand-alone option. Dealer says I won’t get power seats, lumbar support if I go this route. Is this true? Dealer also says to get satellite radio, I need this package. I thought 2013 models came satellite ready and only required activation of the service through SiriusXM. If I go with the Luxury Line, this becomes a moot point. I would have to order the Premium Package.

4. Technology Package – If I don’t order BMW Assist or BMW Apps, I also won’t likely order the Technology Package. I can live without the heads-up display. I would like to order the Navigation Package as a stand-alone. I know $2,150 is a lot of money when, you can buy a GPS receiver and cradle for a few hundred bucks. However, the BMW integrated one is so easy to use I really want it. Anything else I’m missing?

5. Harmon/Kardon Sound System - $875 is pricey for an upgrade. I usually put in my own aftermarket equipment but, if this system is really good and saves me the install it may be worth it. Any comments?

Thanks in Advance!!

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Yes, but if you get Nav without Tech package, Assist is included as a no cost option.

2. Apps is kind of a bonus. I don't see myself using it a lot either.

3. I skipped it with Msport. Leatherette is nice, but you can add leather as a $1450 option. Power seats are standard with MY13. Lumbar will be missing. Sat radio can be added post.

4. I got Tech, HUD is really awesome.

5. I also got HK. Sounds great.

#5 ·
Sorry for the long post.

1. BMW Assist

2. BMW Apps

3. Premium Package

4. Technology Package

5. Harmon/Kardon Sound System

Thanks in Advance!!
The Technology Package is a must-have and includes 3 of the things on your list:

Navigation
Head Up Display
Smartphone Integration
BMW Assist
Enhanced Bluetooth (streaming)
BMW Apps
Realtime Traffic

Skip the rest. The audio system in the US is already an upgrade to what they have in Europe, it's very good and you won't miss the Harmon Kardon. Premium is nice but if you don't need the moonroof it's out.

The F30s is one of the most technologically advanced cars in the world, so to get it without the Technology Package is a crime.

BJ

#7 ·
Honestly, I opted for Premium over Tech, then added 609 Nav standalone... but my priority was getting comfort access above almost everything else. The HUD is very cool and very useful and I was still very disinterested in it. Maybe when the car arrives and we live with it for a bit I'll see the error of my ways.

#9 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long post. Trying to narrow down my options list on a 2013 328i. Read some posts, BMW brochures, and discussed with dealer but, still confused. Each item shows my take. Please, correct me where I'm wrong.

1. BMW Assist ***8211; Provides an OnStar like capability for emergencies, wireless streaming of music from an iPhone through Bluetooth, allows you to use voice commands to change radio stations/make phone calls. I***8217;ll likely only use the Bluetooth to make phone calls. Without the BMW Assist option, I know I***8217;ll have to use my phone to do the dialing and call selection but, to me that***8217;s not a big deal. I can still use the bluetooth and not have to hold the phone. Anything else I***8217;m missing?
That's not correct (in bold).

Bluetooth and USB are standard equipment. Assist adds an enhanced set of Bluetooth (dual channel phone pairing, A2DP) and USB (Album Art display) features and a Telematics capability (Safety Plan) for 4 years.

2. BMW Apps ***8211; Allows web surfing, access to apps, Facebook, Twitter, etc. from your iPhone and displays iPhone interface on BMW screen. Regardless of this option, Dealer said I have to connect to the car through the USB connector in the console. If you want the iPhone cradle, you have to buy it as an accessory. Without this option, I would have to select the playlist, Slacker station, Pandora station from the iPhone interface rather than the BMW interface. However, I wouldn***8217;t use this feature often because, I prefer SiriusXM. I doubt also I would spend much time using apps (not a Facebook, Twitter guy). Anything else I***8217;m missing?
Quite some misinformation.

- BMW Apps does not allow web surfing in the USA.
- iPod Out (iPod interface in the screen) is only available with the snap-in cradle.
- BMW Apps supports full OEM audio and control of Pandora, Web Radio, Stitcher, MOG and AUPEO! via the iDrive. The problem is that each of those apps are required to be manually selected in the iPhone first for the iDrive to take over control of each of them. They cannot be selected or changed from one to the other via iDrive.

All of the music apps sound up to 6 times better than SiriusXM (32kbps vs. 192kbps depending on the station). All except MOG are free.

3. Premium Package ***8211; Not interested, if I go with the Sport Line. A moonroof is useless in the desert. I get plenty of sun. I would like to order the leather seats as a stand-alone option. Dealer says I won***8217;t get power seats, lumbar support if I go this route. Is this true? Dealer also says to get satellite radio, I need this package. I thought 2013 models came satellite ready and only required activation of the service through SiriusXM. If I go with the Luxury Line, this becomes a moot point. I would have to order the Premium Package.
Power seats are standard, lumbar support is part of the PP.

4. Technology Package ***8211; If I don***8217;t order BMW Assist or BMW Apps, I also won***8217;t likely order the Technology Package. I can live without the heads-up display. I would like to order the Navigation Package as a stand-alone. I know $2,150 is a lot of money when, you can buy a GPS receiver and cradle for a few hundred bucks. However, the BMW integrated one is so easy to use I really want it. Anything else I***8217;m missing?
The TP $950 extra (over Navigation option price) will give you BMW Apps and HUD.

5. Harmon/Kardon Sound System - $875 is pricey for an upgrade. I usually put in my own aftermarket equipment but, if this system is really good and saves me the install it may be worth it. Any comments?

Thanks in Advance!!
You can upgrade the HiFi (standard) system easier and cheaper than getting the HK system with the right equipment.

#10 ·
Originally Posted by JustinTJ
Yes, but if you get Nav without Tech package, Assist is included as a no cost option
I didn't catch that. Reviewing the price list Nav comes with Assist, RTI, and extended instrument cluster. The only thing you don't get with Nav is BMW apps, SmartPhone integration, and HUD.

Originally Posted by Technic
Look at this in another way: The TP $950 extra (over Navigation option price) will give you about $1700+ in additional equipment and an extended-feature intrument panel.
Not really. Extended instrument cluster comes with Nav. BMW apps and Smartphone integration is $250 if added to Nav. So, bascially your paying $700 for the HUD if you get the tech package. I still haven't ruled it out, though. If I blow another $250 on Apps, I might as well spend a little more and get Tech.

- BMW Apps supports full OEM audio and control of Pandora, Web Radio, Stitcher, MOG and AUPEO! via the iDrive. The problem is that each of those apps are required to be manually selected in the iPhone first for the iDrive to take over control of each of them. They cannot be selected or changed from one to the other via iDrive.
Still confused here. If Nav comes with Assist, can't I just stream Pandora etc through Bluetooth from my iPhone and skip the iDrive. Sounds like I have to select the source from my iPhone even with BMW Apps. ...or... Is the answer, yes you can stream Bluetooth but, it sounds like crap?

All of the music apps sound up to 6 times better than SiriusXM (32kbps vs. 192kbps depending on the station).
Bummer. Not a big fan of Pandora, etc. XM had some decent DJ's that did interviews and introduced you to new music. Haven't listened to XM since DirecTV dropped them. I was thinking the decreased cost of a low use data plan on my cell would cover the cost of XM. Am I wrong? Is everyone happier with the web based music providers?

Originally Posted by JustinTJ
Power seats are standard with MY13. Lumbar will be missing.
So, if I go Sport Line, upgrade to leather, I'll get the leather Sport Seats with the memory control and no lumbar support?

Thanks to all. This discussion has been a big help.

#11 ·
Not really. Extended instrument cluster comes with Nav. BMW apps and Smartphone integration is $250 if added to Nav. So, bascially your paying $700 for the HUD if you get the tech package. I still haven't ruled it out, though. If I blow another $250 on Apps, I might as well spend a little more and get Tech.
You are correct.

Still confused here. If Nav comes with Assist, can't I just stream Pandora etc through Bluetooth from my iPhone and skip the iDrive. Sounds like I have to select the source from my iPhone even with BMW Apps. ...or... Is the answer, yes you can stream Bluetooth but, it sounds like crap?
Streaming is not controlled via the iDrive screen. You can use the volume and the up/down buttons and that's it. No display. BMW apps add display and extra features control via iDrive.

Bummer. Not a big fan of Pandora, etc. XM had some decent DJ's that did interviews and introduced you to new music. Haven't listened to XM since DirecTV dropped them. I was thinking the decreased cost of a low use data plan on my cell would cover the cost of XM. Am I wrong? Is everyone happier with the web based music providers?
I am very happy with Web Radio and Stitcher.

So, if I go Sport Line, upgrade to leather, I'll get the leather Sport Seats with the memory control and no lumbar support?

Thanks to all. This discussion has been a big help.
Correct.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-2013-F30-Ordering-Guide.pdf

#12 ·

1. BMW Assist - Provides an OnStar like capability for emergencies, wireless streaming of music from an iPhone through Bluetooth, allows you to use voice commands to change radio stations/make phone calls. I'll likely only use the Bluetooth to make phone calls. Without the BMW Assist option, I know I'll have to use my phone to do the dialing and call selection but, to me that's not a big deal. I can still use the bluetooth and not have to hold the phone. Anything else I'm missing?

2. BMW Apps - Allows web surfing, access to apps, Facebook, Twitter, etc. from your iPhone and displays iPhone interface on BMW screen. Regardless of this option, Dealer said I have to connect to the car through the USB connector in the console. If you want the iPhone cradle, you have to buy it as an accessory. Without this option, I would have to select the playlist, Slacker station, Pandora station from the iPhone interface rather than the BMW interface. However, I wouldn't use this feature often because, I prefer SiriusXM. I doubt also I would spend much time using apps (not a Facebook, Twitter guy). Anything else I'm missing?

3. Premium Package - Not interested, if I go with the Sport Line. A moonroof is useless in the desert. I get plenty of sun. I would like to order the leather seats as a stand-alone option. Dealer says I won't get power seats, lumbar support if I go this route. Is this true? Dealer also says to get satellite radio, I need this package. I thought 2013 models came satellite ready and only required activation of the service through SiriusXM. If I go with the Luxury Line, this becomes a moot point. I would have to order the Premium Package.

4. Technology Package - If I don't order BMW Assist or BMW Apps, I also won't likely order the Technology Package. I can live without the heads-up display. I would like to order the Navigation Package as a stand-alone. I know $2,150 is a lot of money when, you can buy a GPS receiver and cradle for a few hundred bucks. However, the BMW integrated one is so easy to use I really want it. Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in Advance!!
I have all five options you listed and I have no regrets. At least get the: tech package, HK and Premium Package. The Sports Seat with Lumbar Support (Premium Package Only); offers the best seating comfort in the F30. BMW Assist is a safety option. BMW Apps is only $250.

#19 ·
Originally Posted by jtuds
Pretty sure the ability to use voice commands to make phone calls is standard.
I'm a bonehead. Nav gives me the enhanced blueooth. :banghead:
No decision to make here.

Tech Package all hinges on BMW Apps. I'll need to buy the cradle, too. Also, sounds like a PIA to insert cell in cradle every time you get in the car. Is anyone happy just streaming music through Bluetooth? Does it sound any different than plugging into the cradle?

Originally Posted by VLing
Sports Seat with Lumbar Support (Premium Package Only); offers the best seating comfort
I hope the no lumbar doesn't change the comfort of the seat. Dealership model had it so, I don't know what to expect.

Originally Posted by windsor027
two must have options the xenons and Dynamic handling
Xenons look cool but, not interested. Dynamic handling I considered but, how often would you want to change? I expect the Sport Line sport suspension will give me the road feel I prefer.

#20 ·
I'm a bonehead. Nav gives me the enhanced blueooth. :banghead:
No decision to make here.

Tech Package all hinges on BMW Apps. I'll need to buy the cradle, too. Also, sounds like a PIA to insert cell in cradle every time you get in the car. Is anyone happy just streaming music through Bluetooth? Does it sound any different than plugging into the cradle?

I hope the no lumbar doesn't change the comfort of the seat. Dealership model had it so, I don't know what to expect.

Xenons look cool but, not interested. Dynamic handling I considered but, how often would you want to change? I expect the Sport Line sport suspension will give me the road feel I prefer.
i dont have lumbar and the seat feels more comfortable than a seat with lumbar, but thats just me

#28 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. After all the Xenon comments, I'm considering adding. I spent the weekend trolling the BMW dealer inventories within reach and couldn't find any 328i with adaptive suspension. I'm going to test drive a Sport Line and Luxury Line to identify any road feel differences. (I know it's not the same as adaptive, no VSS). Not sure what else to do.

Now, need to figure out which way to order. I'll start a new thread on that.

#29 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. After all the Xenon comments, I'm considering adding. I spent the weekend trolling the BMW dealer inventories within reach and couldn't find any 328i with adaptive suspension. I'm going to test drive a Sport Line and Luxury Line to identify any road feel differences. (I know it's not the same as adaptive, no VSS). Not sure what else to do.
The Sport line will feel like something between the E90 standard and E90 sport suspensions (if you have any experience with prior 3 Series). The Luxury line will feel like 90% of the E90 standard suspension, the extra 10% being a softer ride (don't feel potholes) and mild body roll in tight corners well over the speed limit.

The Adaptive Suspension is the best of all worlds. As tight as the E90 sport and the F30 sport, but hit a button and it softens up like the Luxury line. Windsor is right, it's the most important option and my one regret on the car for the 1% of the time I'm driving like a maniac.

If you take convenience and cosmetic options out of the mix, the most important functional options IMHO are the Adaptive Suspension and Xenon Lighting.

BJ

#30 ·
Also don't forget with the adaptive suspension you can set it to sport and then in the I-drive change the suspension to comfort. So you have the steering firm up nicely, the gas petal very responsive but the suspension nice and soft if the roads you ride on are average to bad.

#31 ·
I almost did not get the premium pk but I sat in the seats with and without the lumbar and found it made a big difference. It adjusts in two directions and is very supportive. I'm glad I did. I did it without all the tech stuff and it is fine for me . I have all my music in my phone that is plugged in. I can through the phone use the apps.Mainly I like focusing on the driving experience. But that's me, and my budget and priorities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.