BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4 (08) Grille removal

9K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  rguess 
#1 ·
I've looked at the write up on how to remove the front grilles on the Z4...but mine seem to be intransigent....how the heck do you get these things out without destroying them. I want to paint the vertical slats so that they don't appear so 'toothy'....

Any ideas gratefully welcomed....

jake

#3 ·
I just popped mine out and installed my new black ones last night. The first time I took them out a few months ago for something else I had to use a small screwdriver and carefully pry them loose. The tabs that hold them in are quite small so you don't have to move them much to free them up. like he said check out the how tos section but it should be pretty easy.

#4 ·
Lift up as you pull the bottom out.

#8 · (Edited)
OK

1. Find the middle of the grill, grip the bottom of the strakes and firmly pull upward.
2. While pulling firmly upward gently pull towards you.
3. It's now out.

Install

1. Put top in place first
2. Pust firmly on the bottom and slide in.
3. Make sure you hear "Snap" as the 4 clips engage.

Your done.

Can't make it any simpler. If they have never been out I am sure they will be a little tougher to get out but they should come out just with hand pressure. Maybe I need to post a video. LOL

Happy Motoring.

#9 ·
Hahahaha, no need for a video. I will give it another shot on Monday ('cause as a workin' man, I have little time to do much else except work, eat, and sleep).

I want to make the front end look like yours, but with a Bright Red car, I want to retain the chrome, but blacken out the slats. If I don't like the chrome ring, I can do something with it later.

Again, thanks.

jake

#11 ·
I was going to suggest the same thing Doc. Find someone's old M Kiddneys instead of doing all the painting that won't stick anyway. Or buy a set. Several places that have them. Stealth Auto, Roastersolutions, others.

Happy Motoring.

I have mine, but they are not for sale. In case I ever want to put the car back stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.