BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

@@@@SPOILER@@@@U.S. Grand Prix

6K views 140 replies 21 participants last post by  GimpyMcFarlan 
#1 ·
About time to get this one started. Interest is waning for the good guys, but we can always hope for a late season comeback. :bawling:

#5 ·
atyclb said:
hey berford, your sig shows a red X
Clueless in Chicago.

#6 ·
What a drag... it's going to be Ferrari again. Great for Alex. Not for me.

However... Renault showed some great pace at Canada. And, they were on the same strategy as Ferrari in terms of pit stops. Alonso's long pit stop killed him, but it would've been interesting to see what might've developed had he had a "normal" stop.

And Trulli was the guy to beat at Monaco, where low-speed mechanical grip is important. That will be important with the mickey-mouse infield at Indy.

So... keep your eyes on the blue and yellow cars, too. I really think they are the second-best cars in the field, not BAR, not Williams.

#10 ·
#13 ·
Patrick 520iAT said:
Ugly wheels.

-
Are you serious? I don't see a j/k in there.

#17 ·
racerdave said:
So... keep your eyes on the blue and yellow cars, too. I really think they are the second-best cars in the field, not BAR, not Williams.
:thumbup:

If they can just keep the suspension from snapping on launch...

OK, if it rains torrentially, do you think we'll see a shakeup?

#18 ·
Alex Baumann said:
It is said that Renault has the strongest engine on the field at the moment.
I am going my what F1 mechanic-turned-commentator Steve Matchett had to say, and that is that the Toyota, Honda and Ferrari have the best peak power, but the Renault has more power lower in the curve, so it's more flexible.

#19 ·
The Roadstergal said:
:thumbup:

If they can just keep the suspension from snapping on launch...

OK, if it rains torrentially, do you think we'll see a shakeup?
No rain. The weather forecast is looking good for the weekend. But you never know.

#21 ·
I can't think of a darn thing to say other than that I'll watch, a lot.

Friday: Practice - 4 hours live from 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Saturday: Practice - 2 hours live from 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Qualifying - 2 hours live from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Sunday: Race - 2.5 hours live from 12:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Replay - 9:00 PM - 11:30 PM

All times ET.

#22 ·
Alex Baumann said:
No rain. The weather forecast is looking good for the weekend. But you never know.
And, speaking as someone in the region, the weather here this spring and early summer has been very changeable, despite the forecasts. So don't bet on the early forecasts yet...

#23 ·
Alex Baumann said:
It is said that Renault has the strongest engine on the field at the moment.
Ultimately engine horsepower is about RPM. That's why they want to twist them up to 19k. Renault may have torque, but they aren't getting the RPM up yet. They are better at the Monaco/Hungary circuits where there's not a long straight. That's about balance too though. They were quick during middle practices at Canada, but when the time came they didn't show the power needed on the straights. At least that's my 2 cents. Our friend Steve Matchett commented a number of times how fast the FW26 was in the speed trap and that bodes well for BMW.

I'm going to be there...so I'm hopeful. :)

#24 ·
But I read some quotes from Pat Symonds and a Renault engineer that they actually spend less time at full throttle -- percentage-wise -- per lap at Indy than they do at Canada. Something like 56%. But half of that comes in 1 shot on the run to corner 1. So, as they say, it's really like 2 circuits in one.

So I'm going to say Renault will be stronger than people might think. :)

#26 ·
Patrick 520iAT said:
:thumbdwn: Spoonface.

-
Trying to endear yourself to Alex, I see. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.