BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

warped rotors

9K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  acoste 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 M5 with just under 6k miles. At about 1k miles I started noticing a shimmy in the wheel when braking between 40-60 mph which progressively got worse. I thought it was a balance issue or possibly a wheel out of round, but the dealer diagnosed warped front rotors. I was surprised, but...ok. Anyways, dealer has now replaced the rotors three times, and the last time, they also replaced the wheel hub in addition to the rotors. I've called BMW NA, but will write a formal letter and post it registered mail as this situation is frustrating. The shimmy is back and I'm extremely disappointed that BMW cannot properly diagnose the issue. I feel like a guinea pig at this point...

Anyone else experience anything similar or is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance.

#4 · (Edited)
:thumbup:

"2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

I've called BMW NA, but will write a formal letter and post it registered mail as this situation is frustrating.
Good, in the letter ask if they will buy back the car.

In any case let them know this letter is a notice that you are going the Lemon Law route if they try a last repair attempt and it does not solve the problem.

#6 · (Edited)
Update....I heard from BMW NA last week and I'm waiting for the regional BMW team to make a decision on next steps. I have an appointment to drop off the car at the dealer next week so we'll see. I really like this car, but this experience has become frustrating as the car will be returned for the 4th time for the same issue. This M5 is much nicer than my 2008 M5, but I've never experienced anything like this before....so much so that I don't enjoy driving it anymore as all I think about is the shimmy when braking which is annoying. Dealer has been great from a customer service perspective. Will post an update once I hear back from BMW NA and the dealer.

#7 ·
I also have the wheel shake braking from 60mph and I have less than 3k miles on the car. took it in to dealer the other day for that but they could not recreate the issue. I will see when i get the car back to day if its still there.

#8 · (Edited)
BMW NA sent a tech to inspect the car and determined that the front rotors are warped again. He wasn't able to determine the cause so they are replacing the rotors again, so this M5 will be on it's 5th set of rotors in under 7k miles. I have already notified BMW NA that this is unacceptable.

#9 ·
Mike. I had this same problem on my F10 535 and after three sets of rotors I noticed the problem always surfaced after I would wash the car when the wheels and rotors were hot from driving. After the last rotor replacement, before I traded it, the problem did not come back and I started washing the car only when rotors were cold. I could be wrong, but I am wondering if cold water on hot rotors was the cause of the rotor problems.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#12 ·
Hi Mikec375

what is the outcome/resolution with your car? Did BMW engineers found the issue?

I have a 2011 525i and since I bought it I had to replace the rotors 3 times. mine warps the rotors every 7-8K miles.
Third time they replaced the rotors, hubs and front bearings, but now after 4K miles is start vibrating again.
BMW refused to buy back the car, but they are going to send a rep to take a look at it.

Thanks.
Loren

#13 ·
Not sure if it is also the issue with your car, but I had the same problem with my 09 e60 550, and the problem was the front control arm bushings. They tend to change the rotors because I think it is the most common issue and it maybe less labor intensive for them.

Have them check the bushings too, don't need to change the whole control arm, only the front bushings.

Hope this helps ...

/Z

#14 ·
Hey Mike375.. I am responding to old thread.. What was the resolution of the issue? I have the same problem on my 2013 M5.. Vibrates on 40-60mph while braking. Did you have by any chance the black powdered wheels? I had '08 550 and had similar issue and spent tons of time and $ for replacing rotors, pads, bushings, control arm etc. Nothing helped, was coming back after 3-4k miles after rotor resurfacing. I eventually bought new set of wheels, and the problem was gone. So my theory either the wheel was bent or powder coating was causing it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.