BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Converting Factory HID angel eyes to DRLs/run always

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jbrooksga 
#1 ·
I know the coding doesn't allow it, but has anyone ever wired up the factory HID angel eyes to run all the time? Not a big fan of the factory DRLs and since I've got LEDs in the angel eyes, I'd much rather run those. Anyone ever do this?

#10 ·
Sorry, I somehow missed your post. Try to send a private message to X3-po. It should be somewhere on the menu, I am writing from my phone at the moment, cannot take a look.

I have not rewired my angel eyes to DRL as I always have my low beams on (95% of highway driving and it is required by law to have your headlights on; and I am not sure if a cop would consider angel eyes as headlights).

#7 ·
Really...I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I had added ae's on my 02 325 and they came with instructions and worked great but sold that car and got a 06 530 added mtec v3's and have been looking for a kit to do this but have had no luck! Can you help me out on a site where i can get this kit? Thanks

Sent from my MB855 using Bimmer App

#13 ·
Update here. Local BMW Tech used my Daos harness to make this work....and it does. BUUUT he keyed the power off of the DRLs, which kinda defeats the purpose. Will be looking to retap the power source into another accessory wire when I find one, code out the DRLs, and it'll be done. :)

#14 · (Edited)
Not sure if you ever resolved this, but I just went through the same process. I used the DAEOS harness. Power comes from the red/white wire in the ECU box. The second relay part of the DAEOS taps into the yellow/blue wire which is your lowbeam. This scheme allows your halos to be on as long as the vehicle has power, they also remain on for a few seconds as the car shuts down which is a nice effect. I had it this way on my previous E46 as well.

The DAEOS harness is made for the E90 series, which required a different procedure to locate a ground connection. It wasn't a big deal, but you have to take the ground wire out of the wiremold to allow enough length.

And yes to make this work like we want, you have to code out the DRL. That was a project within itself, but finally got it done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.