BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW will recall diesel models to fix emissions glitch

90K views 490 replies 88 participants last post by  floydarogers 
#1 · (Edited)
About 2,740 2011 and 2012 model year X5 xDrive 50i and X6 xDrive 50i vehicles, and 21,600 3-series diesel models, will be recalled, the automaker said. The recalls are scheduled for May 9, with a customer letter to follow, BMW North America spokesman Dirk Arnold said.

BMW said certain emissions components, including the SCR catalyst, the DEF mixer and the EGR valve, may improperly overstate vehicle mileage, causing emissions standards to be exceeded and the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light.
Follow link to Automotive News at site: http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/00eF7ro9rc09g?q=California

#4 ·
This article has a little more info:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...-recall-diesel-models-to-fix-emissions-glitch

"BMW said the repair will require the inspection and replacement of one or more of the emissions components and the reprogramming of the vehicle's engine control unit."

I had my SCR catalyst replaced a year ago due to repeated SES light incidents. It's possible they've known about this for some time. We'll see if they end up doing anything more to my car next time I take it in.

#5 ·
I wonder if this is the thing that for months now some SA's have told us is coming up. I know I was told in January a recall was coming up and when I mentioned that on here someone else said they were told the same thing a good bit before I was told.

My car is due for service and has had an SES light on for a few days now. Perhaps I will just stall for awhile longer to see if I can get multiple things addressed at the same time.

#7 · (Edited)
My D has never had any SES and it has just had the last free service last week at 78,000 KM and the BMW warranty expires at 80,000 KM.
I better call my dealer about this recall and make sure my D is covered.

I have not purchased any extended warranty so will soon be out of warranty!

#11 ·
You're absolutely correct.
The only scenario is if BMW Canada is slow in implimenting the recall and in the mean time my D is out of warranty and gets an SES, the dealer can charge me for the fix and claim that the SES is due to some other cause?

I plan to keep my D for as long as there is no suitable/equivalent replacement with comparable performance.

I'm running out of time to get extended warranty.
I was quoted CAD$3,300 for 160KM/6Yr.
Since my D has been trouble free so far I may roll the dice and forget the extended warranty.

#14 ·
The Problem: BMW has announced that certain emissions components on 2009-2011 3 Series, X5, and X6 diesel models including the SCR catalyst, DEF mixer, and the EGR valve may overstate vehicle mileage. This may cause emissions standards to be exceeded and illuminate the check engine light. This in turn could cause affected models to fail U.S. emissions tests.

I wonder if this is also causing the gunk build up in the EGR/Cylinder head.

#28 ·
From the link in the op:

BMW said certain emissions components, including the SCR catalyst, the DEF mixer and the EGR valve, may improperly overstate vehicle mileage, causing emissions standards to be exceeded and the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon" light.

BMW said the repair will require the inspection and replacement of one or more of the emissions components and the reprogramming of the vehicle's engine control unit.

#31 ·
I just visited the dealership and the SA took my keys and looked up my data on my car and WE both saw NOTHING on the recall issue. Unless anyone can give NTSB number I cannot say whether its true or not!!!

#34 ·
This what I got from BMWA website on Owners link then recalls:

Important information for BMW owners. 11V-521: Electric Auxiliary Water Pump
December, 2011

Recall Campaign No. 11V-521: Electric Auxiliary Water Pump

Dear BMW Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2008-11 5-Series, 5-Series Gran Turismo, 7-Series, X5 SAV, and X6 SAV vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump on your vehicle. The pump helps cool the engine by conducting heat away from the engine's turbocharger. The pump can overheat or fail. This could lead to a smoldering of the pump. An engine compartment or vehicle fire could occur. Please note that this could happen even in cases in which the ignition is off.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Please take note of and observe the following precautions.

For full details click here.
12V-019-Automatic Transmission Parking Lock-2012 X5 xDrive35i
January, 2012

Recall Campaign No. 12V-019: Automatic Transmission Parking Lock

Dear BMW Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2012 X5 xDrive35i Sports Activity Vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the automatic transmission parking lock on your vehicle. The transmission was not manufactured according to specifications. Therefore, engagement of the transmission's parking lock may not occur. This could happen even if the "P" position has been selected and is displayed. As a result, the vehicle could rollaway after parking.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Depending on traffic and road conditions and the driver's reactions, this could increase the risk for the occupants of the vehicle and for other road users.

10E-A03-Program Control Units-2004 X5 SAV
JANUARY 2011

BMW VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN PROGRAM CONTROL UNITS

CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 10E-A03

Dear BMW Owner:

At BMW of North America, we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations.

The problem is...

The software release for the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Unit (TCU) contained errors. This may result in an onboard diagnostic communication failure with a scan tool during an emission test.

10V-518-In-Tank Fuel Pump-2008 X5 SAV
January, 2011

Recall Campaing No. 10V-518: In-tank Fuel Pump

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2008 X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the in-tank fuel pump. It has been determined that the fuel pump in your vehicle may stop working due to premature wear. In most cases, it would no longer be possible to start the engine. However, in some cases, the fuel pump may stop working while the vehicle is in motion, resulting in stalling. If stalling were to occur, you would not be able to maintain vehicle speed or accelerate. Power steering assist would also be affected, leading to an increase in steering effort.

10V-446-Brake Vacuum Pump-2002-2010 5, 6, 7 Series, Alpina B7
March, 2011

Recall Campaing No. 10V-446: Brake Vacuum Pump

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2002-2010 5, 6, and 7 Series and Alpina B7 vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the power assist braking function. A small amount of oil could leak from the brake vacuum pump into the brake vacuum hose. Over time, contamination of the brake booster could occur. This could affect the power assist braking function. In an extreme case, loss of the power brake assist could occur.

The service brake control would still be available to slow and stop the vehicle, although this would require greater brake pedal force.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Depending on traffic and road conditions and the driver's reactions, this could increase the risk of a crash.

11V-332-Engine Belt Tensioner-2011 X5 xDrive 35d
August 2011

Recall Campaing No. 11V-332: Engine Belt Tensioner

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2011 X5 xDrive35d (Diesel) Sports Activity Vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves an engine belt tensioner on your vehicle. The belt tensioner contains a welded flange plate. Due to a manufacturing error at the supplier, the weld could crack. Over time, this could lead to damage and then a malfunction of the belt tensioner. This would result in a sudden loss of power steering assit while driving. However, if there was a loss of power steering assist, manual steering capability would still be retained.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Depending on traffic and road conditions and the driver's reactions, this could increase the risk of a crash.

11V-341-Electric Power Steering Assist-2011 X3
August 2011

Recall Campaing No. 11V-341: Electric Power Steering Assist

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2011 X3 Sports Activity Vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the Electric Power Steering (EPS) assist unit. It has been determined that a control module in the EPS assist unit may not function properly. If this happened, then the EPS assist unit would switch off during driving, resulting in a sudden loss of power steering assist. At the same time, a yellow warning symbol in the vehicle's instrument cluster will illuminate. However, if there was a loss of power steering assist, manual steering capability would still be retained.

Please note that, after the engine is shut off and then restarted, the EPS assist unit may function properly (the warning symbol will not appear in the instrument cluster). However, the condition could occur again.

11V-441-Fuel Filter Heater-2009 X5 xDrive 35d
September 2011

Recall Campaing No. 11V-441: Fuel Filter Heater

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2009 X5 xDrive35d Sports Activity Vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the Fuel Filter Heater (FFH) unit which is used for warming up the diesel fuel at low outside temperatures. A short-circuit could develop within the unit, draining the vehicle's battery.

In most cases, it would not be possible to start the vehicle due to a dead battery. However, in a rare case, the unit could overheat and eventually lead to a vehicle fire, even if the vehicle is parked unsupervised.

Do not leave this problem unattended. Please take note of and observe the following precautions.

11E-A01-Replace Vehicle Emission Control Information Label-2012 x5 X6
October 2011

BMW VOLUNTARY EMISSIONS RECALL CAMPAIGN
REPLACE VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION LABEL

CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 11AE-A01

Dear BMW Owner:

At BMW, we are committed to maintaining a level of automotive and service excellence that exceeds your expectations.

BMW has determined that certain 2012 model year BMW X5 and X6 Sports Activity Vehicles were produced with the wrong Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) label. The VECI label is required to comply with emissions regulations administered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board. To correct this error, BMW is conducting a Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign.

The problem is:

A small number of these vehicles was produced with the VECI label from the previous model year.

11V-476-Front Driveshaft Bolt-2011 328i, 335i xDrive
October, 2011

Recall Campaing No. 11V-476: Front Driveshaft Bolts

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2011 328i xDrive and 335i xDrive sedans. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the front driveshaft attachment bolts. The attachment bolts may not have been tightened to specification. If the bolts were not tightened to specification, then they could become loose. Over time, they could continue to loosen, leading to a loss of power to the front wheels and ultimately a vehicle breakdown.

11V-438-Lamps in Rear Quarter Panel-2002-2005 3 Series
December, 2011

Recall Campaing No. 11V-438: Lamps in Rear Quarter Panel

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2002-05 3 Series sedans. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Please note that, at the present time, we do not yet have sufficient parts in which to conduct this recall; however, we will notify you as soon as parts become available which is anticipated to occur in December.

You may continue drive your car; however, in the interim see PRECAUTIONS FOR YOUR SAFETY below. If you believe your vehicle is experiencing this condition, and are concerned with continuing to drive, you may contact BMW Roadside Assistance at 1-800-332-4269 to have your vehicle brought to the nearest Authorized BMW Center.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the rear lamps on your vehicle. Specifically, it involves the portion of the lamp in the vehicle's rear quarter panel. Due to material specification and environmental factors, one or more lamp functions (tail, brake, turn-signal) within the rear quarter panel may stop working.

Please note that the other portion of the rear lamp, in the vehicle's trunk lid, is not affected.

Failure to observe the following precautions, in conjunction with traffic and road conditions, and the driver's reactions, could increase the risk of a crash.

12V-161 Electric Auxiliary Water Pump
April 2012

Recall Campaign No. 12V-161: Electric Auxiliary Water Pump

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2011 5 Series and 5 Series Gran Turismo, 2012 6 Series Convertible, 7 Series, X5 SAV, and X6 SAV vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves the electric auxiliary water pump on your vehicle. The pump helps cool the engine by conducting heat away from the engine?s turbocharger. The pump can overheat or fail. This could lead to a smoldering of the pump. An engine compartment or vehicle fire could occur. Please note that this could happen even in cases in which the ignition is off.

12V-126: Battery Cable Insulated Bulkhead Connector
April 2012

Recall Campaign No. 12V-126: Battery Cable Insulated Bulkhead Connector

Dear BMW Owner:

BMW AG has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Model Year 2004-10 5 Series and 6 Series vehicles. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected vehicle.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM

The issue involves a battery cable bolt connection in the trunk. Specifically, this bolt connection is secured to the trunk floor panel by an insulated bulkhead connector. The insulated bulkhead connector may have been incorrectly attached to the trunk floor panel. Over time, this can lead to a loosening of the bolt connection and cause an overheating condition.
Overheating could lead to smoldering of the floor mat. This could further lead to a fire in the vehicle trunk, and ultimately to the rest of the vehicle, even in a vehicle with the ignition in the off position.

DESCRIPTION OF REPAIR

The insulated bulkhead connector of the battery cable bolt connection will be inspected and secured as necessary. In addition, protective grease will be added to the area and a plastic cover will be replaced.The actual repair will require approximately one hour; however, additional time may be required depending on the BMW center's scheduling and processing. This work will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW center.

#36 ·
Spoke Customer Relations of BMWA and was transfered to Corporate area to whom I spoke to Athea and she looked up my vehicle and she said there were NO recalls for the 335d and she had not known of any other DIESELS recalls. So my question is WTF is going on here!! IS BMWA hidding something or what?

#39 ·
Dropped my 2011 d at Tom Williams BMW in Birmingham AL today for the AC compressor squeal. Service Consultant read my key and stated there was a recall for EGR valve on my car. She didn't know if they had the parts in yet or not, but would perform the recall if they did. She called me later and said they were ordering a new AC compressor to fix the squeal. So, I get to keep the 335is Convertible w/DCT over the weekend. Should be fun.

If they perform the recall, I will let you know what parts were replaced.

#42 ·
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it's not the compressor.

BMW determined it was the belt that was slipping. The repair compaign involves installing a shorter aftermarket belt. So far I have not heard from anyone that had this belt installed complain of recurrance. However, do recall during the early on-set of this issue (I created thread about it a year ago) that one owner had his compressor replaced but it did not end up solving the problem. You might want to find that thread and call your SA to save yourself some trouble.

Unfortunately when I had my belt replaced BMW did not have a fix, so my belt is back squeeling AGAIN, so I nee to to take it back to the dealer to have them install the aftermarket belt.

#41 ·
I had it done Monday into Tuesday. I brought the car in for the a/c not working (CPO launch car with 56k ) and they said I have the emmissions recal. I picked it up Tuesday, No paperwork yet, not charge either, can't tell a difference with driveability and the A/c worked most of the time. Once though is did not come on just made a weird spraying water sound. The next time I turned it on the next day it worked. The car is driven about 90 % on long trips around mid atlantic and New England. Mostly like a momentum racer but some good full throttle bursts well over 100mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.