BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2007-2010 X3 Automatic Transmission Problem Master Thread!

792K views 2K replies 282 participants last post by  hoppydidit 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this a sticky and merging all new AT threads from the main page into this one (I can not move older threads into this one because it will insert the previous messages above/before this post).

Thanks to AzNMpower32 for this summary:

The problem: A portion of 2007-08 X3s built between 9/2006 and 11/2007 my have possible faulty transmission software programming. This affects X3s equipped with the 6-speed automatic gearbox. The gearbox may fail to respond to throttle inputs, fail to engage a lower gear, or downshift very roughly in normal Drive mode. The problem is not exhibited in manual mode. Cold temperatures may or may not make the shifting quality worse.

The BMW fix There is a software update, this is the latest release as of 10/07

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B24 08 07 dated May 2007.

SUBJECT
GM6 - Various Transmission and Driveability Complaints MODEL
E83 (X3) with 6L45R (GM6) automatic transmission produced from 8/2006 up to 10/2007

SITUATION
The customer may complain of transmission shift quality or driveability issues, as described in the situations below:

1. There is a delay in throttle response through the 1-2 upshift when accelerating from a stop.
2. There is a lack of power or hesitation when reapplying throttle, during either a 4-3 or 3-2 tip-in downshift. This may occur after slowing with a closed throttle.
3. Harsh downshifts when slowing on a roadway with a rising gradient (EGS is in a hill program).

CAUSES
EGS software calibration DME software calibration

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, reprogram the EGS using only Progman V27.02.00 or higher. The latest X3 EGS software may be identified as: 0489RZ0RS450 R0FN10 using the following diagnosis path:

Control-module functions / EGS transmission control Diagnosis requests / Status, data reference

It is important that the DME is also at the latest software level. Refer to SI B12 17 07 for more information concerning the DME software identification and improvements.

DO NOT perform the transmission adaptation under Service Functions, as prompted on the Progman screen. This test module is not functional and will be removed in a future DIS DVD release.

Always refer to SI B 24 11 07 for more information regarding GM6 transmission terminology, adaptation functionality, and adaptation procedures. Important notes:

* The transmission must be in the "Park" position, otherwise the programming may abort with the following error:

EGS ***8211;Diagnostic trouble 2089 (COAPI) - Programming mode changeover faulty

* Only use an approved BMW battery charger set to PS (Power Supply) mode and properly configured for the applicable battery AH rating.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code 24 00 38 61 00
Please post all future complaints and/or attempted resolutions on this thread! Thank you.

#464 ·
2008 X3

Not sure if we just were lucky or there has been another "fix", but my wife and I picked up her new X3 in Munich on May 8th and spent 10 days driving in conditions from the Autobahn to the high passes in the Dolomites and the backroads of Tuscany. While I tried to talk her into a manual due to all of the reported problems she insisted on the auto and all I can say is wow. It performed flawlessly in all conditions and drove like a dream. Having the Sport package on the twisty mountain passes and winding through Tuscany was a real bonus and neither of us thought the ride was too harsh even when the roads were less then perfect. We ended up putting over 1,000 miles on during the trip with two long days on the road transiting from Germany to Northern Italy and back up to Munich for the dropoff. We had one transit on the A22 where we hit 115 mph for a prolonged period and it was smooth as silk.
In short, no regrets with the X3 up to this point, but will withhold final judgement until we take redelivery and have the chance for day to day driving in American traffic.

#467 ·
almost got in an accident

Well, I had the major update last year, which actually seemed pretty good. Not perfect, but maybe I could live with it-I thought.

Hesitation was practically all gone. Lately it has gotten worse again.

Almost got clocked while making left turn into gas station today. I had plenty of room to make left turn, but it lunged forward slightly, then nothing!!!!! Then the oncoming traffic was approaching, and beeping their horn. All of a sudden, I got power, and the tires chirpped!

it is weird-you push the gas down, and it does not respond.

Not safe!

I am not happy. I bought it April of 2007. It has been in for this problem at least 5 times.
It is going in again-this time for good!

I want a new vehicle-this is a lemon!:thumbdwn:

#469 ·
Well, I had the major update last year, which actually seemed pretty good. Not perfect, but maybe I could live with it-I thought.

Hesitation was practically all gone. Lately it has gotten worse again.

Almost got clocked while making left turn into gas station today. I had plenty of room to make left turn, but it lunged forward slightly, then nothing!!!!! Then the oncoming traffic was approaching, and beeping their horn. All of a sudden, I got power, and the tires chirpped!

it is weird-you push the gas down, and it does not respond.

Not safe!

I am not happy. I bought it April of 2007. It has been in for this problem at least 5 times.
It is going in again-this time for good!

I want a new vehicle-this is a lemon!:thumbdwn:
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

#468 ·
I just found this site and it's remarkable how well many describe my '07 x3. My second week of ownership, it quit and was in the shop 9 days. Something with a computer having to be re-programmed and the engineers were all out on holiday. Then the hesitation and down shifting started. It's been re-programmed twice. A lens cover on the driver side had to be replaced and the sun roof rattles so loud, I just close the shade so it's not so annoying. It was supposed to be fixed during the last 8 day trip to the shop for re-programming.I hate to be so pessimistic, but I don't see any change in the downshifting when stopping. I' m sure the hesitation will happen again also. My dealership has been responsive but it's not fixed yet either. My first bmw and I'm so dissappointed!

#470 ·
Hey Vatkens! where ya been man?

#473 ·
Well, it happened to me today and only 10 days out of the shop and the latest fix. What happened today was really weird! Not just the usual hesitation that scares the bejesus out of you because you don't move. Today, when I pressed down on the accelerator, the engine raced, the tach rose and it just sat there. Those of you out there, who know what happened, explain please. I'm a female and not as knowledegeable as most of you.

#474 ·
A new angle to the problem

Hey everyone,

I've been the owner of an '07 X3 since April last year (built in March) and can say that I share many of your experiences. At first I thought it was just me but after spending some time on the forum I realized I was not alone.
I hesitated taking the car into the shop just for the software update so waited until my first scheduled maintenance. So last week at a little over 17,000 miles the car got serviced. I explained the whole transmission problem to the technician and we test drove the car together. He claimed that it wasn't realy a transmission problem but rather a throttle problem. (Mind you before driving the car he claimed BMW had not recorded such problems.)
He said he had a fix for it so I waited eagerly for my car to return.
After 1 week driving I must admit that it has improved tremendously.

According to the invoice, I received the following updates:
SIB 121707 DME update for poor throttle response
SIB 240807 EGS Update for harsh downshifts

The car behaves totally different. It's always ready to go either from a standstill or accelerating after braking / slowing down. I'm now a very happy owner of an awesome performing X3.

#475 ·
give it a month.

#478 ·
Dealer has had my 07 X3 for the last week "working" on the shifting problem. Pretty much burned all my gas, put miles on my lease and told me to come back in 2 weeks for the next SIB update. Why do they play games? They know the problem exists and refuse to admit it. Some background for the BMW employee up there a few posts. I went over 6 months without any problems and turned a corner one day and my car nearly stalled, no exaggeration. From that point on, it has had every "fix" BMW had to offer, even if it was to reload the defective software. I had an '05 325, never had one minutes trouble out of it, so no sour grapes. I've driven MANY 3-series loaners with the same trans/different software WITHOUT ever experiencing the surging, hesitation, inablitlty to choose a gear when you push the gas pedal. BMW made a mistake, needs to admit it, devote the resources to fix it and FIX IT. I'm tired of my dealer telling me they can only do what BMW allows them to do. Sorry about the rant, but this is not some isolated instance and a year of playing nice with the dealer and BMW hasn't gotten me anywhere-- except nervous every time I press the gas pedal, wondering what, if anything will happen when I do..

#479 · (Edited)
The reason they keep putting all of you off is so they can push the car past the time frame for any Lemon Laws to apply.

#480 ·
Probably true, but this will not limit their liability when/or if someone gets killed driving this version of the not so Ultimate Driving Machine.

#482 ·
I got a call from BMW North America

The representative was very polite, and seemed concerned about the problem. However, the software update that is promised to fix everything for good is not released yet. They asked what I expected. I said that I expect it to be fixed. I am paying for this, and it is inferior, and unsafe.

Remember, this was promised to us in the last major update of 2007. That update was a failure. :dunno:

I am almost 50 percent complete on my lease. When is it going to be fixed? Maybe lemon law is the best route for me. That way, I get every cent back that I paid for the car. The only thing I pay for is mileage up to the date the problem was first noticed, which was at about 2 weeks after I took delivery!

I will keep you posted.

#484 ·
T That way, I get every cent back that I paid for the car. The only thing I pay for is mileage up to the date the problem was first noticed, which was at about 2 weeks after I took delivery!

I will keep you posted.
did you REPORT and have documentation of the problem? that's the only thing that will stick for the mileage payment offset.

#483 ·
Why did BMW North America call me?

I dont know why. I am no more important than anyone else on here that is having safety concerns with their BMW X3.

I am from PA, and they have a strong lemon law-maybe that is why.

Here is a summary of PA Lemon Law criteria:

Pennsylvania Lemon Law Basics:

The Pennsylvania lemon law covers any consumer who buys, or leases, and registers a new motor vehicle in the state. Under the Pennsylvania Lemon Law your car may be declared a lemon if it meets all of the following conditions:

It has a nonconformity (a defect, or condition) the nonconformity is covered by the manufacturer's express warranty
The nonconformity SUBSTANTIALLY impairs the use, market value, or safety of the car
The nonconformity is not the result of an accident, abuse, neglect, or alteration of the car by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized dealer
You reported the nonconformity at least once to the manufacturer's authorized dealer during the Pennsylvania Lemon Law Rights Period of 1 year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first.
You gave the manufacturer or its authorized dealer three opportunities to repair the nonconformity.

Maybe BMW NA should contact me and ask if I want trade in assistance rather than wait around for the inevitable to happen.

#487 ·
Lemon Law

I am from PA, and they have a strong lemon law-maybe that is why.
This not only proves that lemon law does work, but also BMW is motivated on saving a few bucks. Customer satisfaction is not their main concern but their pocketbook is. This approach I believe is severely short sighted. Where I live, we don't have a lemon law. That's why after 5 visits, I am still getting nowhere. They insist me to make my 6th visit before I could make my final assessment.

This person BMWx307 did have some success, but haven't heard from since Feb 08: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3043208#post3043208

Markd, thanks for your posts!

#485 ·
I am tired of playing this game.

How long does it take a team of BMW engineers to come up with a working solution?
This is not rocket science!!
It should not take over a year from the first major update to come up with another program that actually works. How complex is this program anyway? It controls the transmission, and my guess interacts with a dozen or so other sensors. This is not putting a space shuttle into orbit! When the car is not moving, there is no need for this thing to have a problem "hunting" around to find a gear-put the damn thing in first-duh! The software should also tell the engine to increase its speed when the acclerator is pressed-makes sense to me. Whats the big deal here?

I know I said it before, and I am a fair person. Maybe too nice, that I get taken advantage of. I said I would wait for the mystery update, but I dont want to anymore.

I am contacting a law firm in Philadelphia PA this week for an initial consultation. BMW can call me and circumvent this situation. It would be in their best interest to offer trade in assistance for a manual transmission x3, or 3 series coupe. I just want a safe car. :mad:

#488 ·
I haven't come to the board in a couple of months due to the fact that I have been crazy busy... but recently my 07 X3 started acting up (quite badly) again with the tranny so I checked in to see if there were any new updates. It amazes me that there aren't any! When I first took delivery, my tranny was A-OK... 6 months later had a few small problems, 8 months in had a turning "stall" and took it in. Now 1 1/2 years into my lease and the tranny basically doesn't respond to anything. Acceleration is extremely poor if even existent and I have now experienced a couple more "stalls". It has made me change my driving style to be MUCH more cautious when it comes to turning with oncoming traffic. I checked here to see if it was worth even taking it to the dealership or not, but it appears that they won't be able to do anything anyway... It really amazes me, I have 3 BMWs right now and this is the only one that has any issues (05 325i conv., 07 530i, 07 X3 3.0)... Why not devote some of their Formula 1 tech's to help on the issue? They can build a whole engine overnight, can't they fix the X3 tranny problem in like 3 1/2 hours?

#489 ·
I recently purchased a CPO 2007 X3 and have experienced some of the AT issues listed in this thread. I asked my dealer to reprogram the ECU with the most recent [good] release. I picked the X3 up yesterday and so far, so good. I am not experiencing the 1-2 upshift delay when accelerating from a stop nor am I sensing hesitation when reapplying throttle. Prior to the reprogram, these two conditions were prevalent (side note: I did discover these issues somewhat abated when towing a 1k lb utility trailer loaded with a bunch of crap I don't need). I've noted some folks have reported the ECU reprogram helps only initially, so time will tell. PS. This is my first post on Bimmerfest and my first BMW. I'm finding the topics and discussions contained in this forum very helpful. In fact, I recently ordered two of the first aid storage boxes based on info I found here. Very cool and helpful for stashing stuff. Thanks!

#493 ·
That reply wins the award for the biggest BS response yet. I thought I had heard them all. I am sick of being told that I haven't adapted to the vehicle yet. This is just an attempt by a lazy tech to get around having to deal with the root cause. I can only guess that BMW is not helping the dealers out here.

#496 ·
software update

In a conversation today with BMW North America and my local dealer, they led me to believe that the major software update is finished, but not released. My dealer said maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but neither one seemed very confident about when it would be delivered.:dunno:

I got off the phone, and I just wasn't feeling to sure about it.:eeps:

Wait...is this deja vu?

Yesterday, I was getting ready to pull out from a shopping center....there was a gap in the traffic....a BIG one. I thought, can I make it? I should not have to think like this. I never thought about it with any other car I owned. I waited, then another gap in traffic, so I pulled out, and what do you know....it hesitated again. Go figure.

#497 ·
In a conversation today with BMW North America and my local dealer, they led me to believe that the major software update is finished, but not released. My dealer said maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but neither one seemed very confident about when it would be delivered.:dunno:

I got off the phone, and I just wasn't feeling to sure about it.:eeps:

Wait...is this deja vu?

Yesterday, I was getting ready to pull out from a shopping center....there was a gap in the traffic....a BIG one. I thought, can I make it? I should not have to think like this. I never thought about it with any other car I owned. I waited, then another gap in traffic, so I pulled out, and what do you know....it hesitated again. Go figure.
Good news on the software fix. I hope....

I have the exact same hesitation issue. It only seems to happen when I press down on the accelorator quickly. And I don't think it's all transmission related. Like it's bogging the engine. I did some testing and noticed that it will even do it in neutral. If I stab at the gas pedal, the engine first sputters and then picks up rpms. Definitely not what you'd expect from the "engineering masterpiece" of an engine.

I had the DME and Transmission Control Module reprogrammed on 11/2/07 with latest SIBs at the time (240807 and 121707). Hopefully this newest does both again and fixes it for good.

What's the word Vatkens? How about some info?

#498 ·
I am so sick of the transmission issues on my X3. All we keep hearing is that BMW is "working on a fix". How long does it take?

I'm counting the months till the lease is up on this piece of garbage, so I can replace it with something other than the "Ultimate Driving Machine."

#499 ·
why keep paying? why don't you ask for a trade assist?

#500 ·
If they could trade assist me into something other than another BMW, I would.

#501 ·
that would be called a buy back. they can do that.

#502 ·
KJ, trade-assist or buy back, you made it sound so easy. I don't know how you did it. For over a year since my first complaint, first they gave me two software updates, then they say it's the characteristics. When I made a written complaint, they say try this update first, but there were no newer update. Then they say there is a newer update, but no there wasn't any. Then they say I didn't have the latest update, it's a communication problem with the dealer. Now they say there is a version 30 that I should try first... I've driven 2 of their E90 loaner automatics, it's also horrible, except I didn't experience the 3 second pause I sometimes get in the X3 nor the sudden surge of power. I just don't understand how they can put their logo on these cars the way they drive... One loaner that I liked, the E90 320i manual transmission...

#503 ·
sadly, I think it's much easier in the States. It seems like BMW CA isn't as responsive. I'm sorry about that.

#504 ·
I have the same issue regarding the transmission on my 2008 328i. Is it possible that the automatic 6 speed gearbox is the same as the X3 and thus the same problem? I have taken it in once to the dealer but they just blow me off...they wouldn't even look at it. Please advise what course of action I can take.

Thanks!

#505 ·
yes, it is the same transmission, read through the entire thread. and not much as this point s they deny there is a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.